Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so my I had my motor built about 5k miles ago. After 9 months of waiting an 30k of work and parts I immediately moved after getting it back and had to retune to altitude. (I went to the tuner that my builders recommended).

now my pistons are cracked and the walls are scored. The shop im at now says that it looks like the pistons were incorrectly clearenced, but since the walls are scored out its hard to get a good reading on the original distance between the wall and piston. The pistons look brand new on the top and horrible on the sides. To me that doesnt sound like a tuning problem or else there would be detonation marks.

Either way... this is some bs that i dont want to be left out in the cold on.

Anybody have advice on how to handle this situation?
I called the builder and they said to send my block in to them so that they can examine it themselves, but if i do that I will lose my spot in line to get the sleeving and repairs done...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^me too.

My car is either the antichrist or a innocent victim of shop-rape.
I wish i could even get to say i beat the piss out of it... at least then i would have had some fun... but this mofo has been on the dyno being diagnosed for issues since i got the build done.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
If you want ANY kind of warranty on that motor you have to send it back to the original builder. I have a feeling you will have to cover new parts but they will cover the labor. If you want to keep cost to a minimum thats your best course of action.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Id rather not throw out names yet, I will give ample opportunity to the shop to hold up their reputation. But if bullshit ensues...a Court of law will get me what i deserve rather than slander.

I would send it back, but im not completely confident that the outcome would be in my favor. If they thought the clearances were fine and the clearances turn out to be the issue, whats to say that they will not build it again by the same specifications? Also.. My time and inconvenience are worth something.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Id rather not throw out names yet, I will give ample opportunity to the shop to hold up their reputation. But if bullshit ensues...a Court of law will get me what i deserve rather than slander.

I would send it back, but im not completely confident that the outcome would be in my favor. If they thought the clearances were fine and the clearances turn out to be the issue, whats to say that they will not build it again by the same specifications? Also.. My time and inconvenience are worth something.
Alot of people have been though something like this in one way or another And as you can see with two other members on here AMS fucked up both their motors and they sent it back to them to make it right.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51914&page=13

Like I said in that thread it's funny how a company like AMS can fuck up two motors and everyone forgives with out even getting upset and lets them fix things but a lesser known shop messes up and you don't want to give them a chance to make things right.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you want ANY kind of warranty on that motor you have to send it back to the original builder. I have a feeling you will have to cover new parts but they will cover the labor. If you want to keep cost to a minimum thats your best course of action.

so I would have to pay 1500+ for sleeving, 600+ for new pistons, and ship the motor back and forth across the country after spending $30,000.00 for 4k miles of enjoying watching dyno pulls and diagnostics? If thats the case then its time to break out the suit and tie and call in the hebrew hammer.

edit; darksun:

If they fix everything free of charge then there wont be a problem and I will continue to work with them when im in their area.
I dont want drama or grudges, just a motor that runs. Im just fed up with spending money on other peoples mistakes. Not another god damn dime.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
so I would have to pay 1500+ for sleeving, 600+ for new pistons, and ship the motor back and forth across the country after spending $30,000.00 for 4k miles of enjoying watching dyno pulls and diagnostics? If thats the case then its time to break out the suit and tie and call in the hebrew hammer.

edit; darksun:

If they fix everything free of charge then there wont be a problem and I will continue to work with them when im in their area.
I dont want drama or grudges, just a motor that runs. Im just fed up with spending money on other peoples mistakes. Not another god damn dime.
I feel your pain man. But if you stay level headed you make be able to meet them part ways like say "I'll pay for rods and pistons but you handle Everything else and make this right" Sure this is not your fault and sure you'll take a still a 600-1000k hit but still better then your next option of starting over from scratch. See if they will cover everything if not try what I said and meet them part ways. If they tell you to fuck off then court it is. Remember though small claims court stops at 5k after that your in big boy court and that shit drains money and time aswell. .

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose thats all i can do at this point. It is their move, but im not very afraid of going to court. They dont want to play with big boy lawyers...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
This is a great attitude. Even the most experience people will make mistakes. I feel like if the were REALLY shit hot they would pay for the car to be shipped to them, pull, rebuild, and shipped back. You are paying enough having to walk. You went to the shop they recommended. I hope they do right by you man.

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
I can tell you lawyers won't help unless you have one thats a family member willing to work for free. Other than that you'll pay more for a lawyer than the engine is worth.

You can go to small claims mediation but then you can only get $5000 at most, and thats a roll of the dice.

Your best bet is to give the shop a chance and if they don't come through for you then post your story up. I hope you chose a reputable shop and used a visa when you bought the motor?

·
Registered
509 Posts
it isn't slander if it's true lol

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
1. If thats the case then its time to break out the suit and tie and call in the hebrew hammer.

1. if they dont address this within a quick span.
2. Very well put and what i would expect as a customer paying 30k for a build.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Also lets hear who the vedor is. So far you havent blasted them with any negativity. Only the fact that you are requesting they fix the issue if it is their fault. It would give us, the consumers, the chance to see how they handle it :)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
If it's their mistake then they should pay for everything.

There was a wedding photographer that did international weddings. He made a good living and did great work.

After one wedding in South America his gear was damaged and the memory cards got fucked up before he could back them up on the computer. That means all the pictures were gone. The majority of the wedding party was from America.

He ended up paying for all of the wedding party to get back to the same venue. He paid for the venue to replicate what the pictures would have looked like. He went bankrupt because of this, but when you fuck up and make a mistake you better take the responsibility and make it right. Yes mistakes happen, but when they do who's fault is it?

1 - 20 of 293 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.