Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

I blew my turbo to exhaust manifold gasket.

I am running a CBRD BBX Turbo , on my Evo X 2014 GSR Race Car.
I converted the joint from studs to bolts , and I think the bolts I used were not really good ! so that is why the gasket was blown !

Can anyone recommend a good replacement turbo gasket , and a set of studs or bolts for the joint.

Thanks !

·
Registered
350 Posts
As far as the gasket goes, I just put on the Grimmspeed double thick gasket and it seals up real nice. At first it'll look like solder on your heat shield but that's normal and helps seal it. My bolts used to back out all the time and with this gasket I haven't had any issues at all.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I've blown a few of these gaskets bud.

But mine never blew in that area where yours has, they blew in the middle. Mine was probably down to my FQ tune being too rich, but I think you're right about your bolts. The mitsi OEM gaskets are not very good and when they go you can see for yourself that they just disintegrate, check that the bits of gasket didn't drop down inside your turbo too. I would use one of those telescopic magnetics.

Did you not hear it blowing? normally makes a squealing noise like an old kettle has just boiled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help everyone ! I am going to use oem bolts and gasket and safetywire the bolts, if it goes again I will use some of the recomended stuff !

Thanks again !

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
we have NEVER had this issue on cars we do installs on-

Use Super high temp antiseize to get proper torque on the studs/bolts-

if needed use locking clip washers- or drill and safety wire-

thats the best way- OEM Gaskets are the best-

cb

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
we have NEVER had this issue on cars we do installs on-

Use Super high temp antiseize to get proper torque on the studs/bolts-

if needed use locking clip washers- or drill and safety wire-

thats the best way- OEM Gaskets are the best-

cb
+1 I love Grimmspeed double-thick exhaust gaskets, but my experience with the double-thick turbo to manifold gasket were not very positive. Stock oem gasket was much better.

you guys drill the stock bolts and wire them? Those stock bolts are harder than all hell.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Make sure that the manifold mating surface is level. It is possible that the surface may have warped slightly which will cause the gasket to blow out, regardless of how tight the nuts or bolts have been torqued.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the information , I will keep you updated on the results of the repair douring next race.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.