Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
i really need to get off my butt and finish my car, engine is complete just laying there waiting to put in and broken in. this gives inspiration to stop being the lazy bum that i am lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i really need to get off my butt and finish my car, engine is complete just laying there waiting to put in and broken in. this gives inspiration to stop being the lazy bum that i am lol
Glad to be of some inspiration!
Get that engine back in there, its worth the effort :) except i cant really talk, I had someone else build mine so I just had to sit there and be patient lol.

What all did you do to it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Final Tuning/Prep

The car was dropped off for tuning. Should have it back in a week or so.

The replaced HKS SSQV valve came back this week. It sounds good. But even with it being recirculated, its pretty loud. I do have the 3.5 inch short ram intake so that probably makes it much louder.

Then I wrapped the wiring for the fuel pumps in a heat insulated aluminum tape, as they run thru the firewall kind of near the turbo. I was gunna use gold but it was hard to find, so i found some aluminum locally, while i ordered the gold.

I also put the tape/wrap stuff on the exhaust manifold side of the valve cover to try and help eliminate heat soak from the manifold warming up the head/oil excessively.
MAPerformance says you CAN reuse the stock heat shield for their tubular manifold, but I don't wanna cover up that piece of art.

The heat resistant tape is pretty cool stuff, from Design Engineering. The aluminum is good for 400 F of direct heat and 2000 F of radiant heat. The gold is higher, so when my order arrives, I am going to put the gold wrap down over the aluminum wrap for extra insulation from the turbo/manifold.

Hopefully I should have some E85 dyno #'s for this build soon!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
dyno update (mustang dyno)

Dyno sheets coming soon. I was hangin out at the shop while they did some runs and this what the car put down.
I think E85 is still getting finalized so those #'s may change.

ACN 91 - 437whp/374twq @ 25 psi.

E85 - ~515whp/425wtq @ ~28 psi (not finalized)

I will post the final #'s and the graphs this coming week when I get the car back. So far I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dyno Graph

ACN91 440 whp / 365 wtq @ 24 psi
E80 510 whp / 420 wtq @ 25 psi

This build turned out awesome. The turbo doesn't lag much, and makes the power all the way to the 8500 - 9k rpm redline of the AMS long block.

For anyone whos curious, or in the socal area, this build was done by Antspec (formerly Cobb Socal) and the tune was done by their in-house tuner, Jason. I've been taking my Evo there for about 5 years now and they've helped me out considerably.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Pretty good numbers

Always exciting to see build threads.
Thanks

Yeah I agree. I spent a lot of time reading about other peoples builds before starting this one, and its helped me make some more educated decisions about this build.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hows the car holding up?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
hows the car holding up?
it's a lot of fun.
It's very fun to drive and even does well if you just wanna cruise/daily it.
Everyone i take for rides laughs hysterically after a pull (exactly like i did after i had it dyno tuned and took it for a drive for the first time).
I am at ~2,000 miles on this build, and i gotta say that the combination of a stock frame turbo and the 'stage 1' AMS long block is really fun. Quick spool and good power all the way to red line.

I did get my doors blown off by a 700hp Evo 8 with a Buschur 2.3 build and a big turbo. But that was expected lol.

I do think about getting a 3584R in the future, or maybe an EFR or precision kit and trying to go for 600 whp. But 500+whp is definitely more than enough for now.

I am running "dual maps" which i see can be a pain when switching.
But my tuner made me an E30 map, for when i switch from ethanol to pump gas, and we might make an E65 or E70 map for when i switch the other way.

These mixed maps are great so i don't have to sacrifice my fuel pumps longevity by running it till empty just to switch, and i also dont have to take the time to manually pump fuel out etc.

I don't autox/track often, if ever, but i could see this build being a killer on the track. This set up absolutely rips coming out of corners.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Why only 25psi on a Dom 3?
tbh, I have no idea.
Left that up to the tuner.
Do you think it could be pushed farther on this set up?

Also, the block isn't sleeved, maybe that has something to do with it.
And the IDC is like 97% on E85 w/ 1300's so maybe its running out of injector?
I'm just guessing here, honestly lol.

But since it hits 25 or 26 psi around 4k rpm, i hardly ever see that 25+ psi. I'm usually doing pulls from 5.5k+ rpm and see about 18 or 19 psi.

Edit: I was going off of what the AP says. Boost gauge reads 25 psi to redline. So disregard ^^^

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
nope pure laziness on my behalf honestly
Well I'm rootin for ya!

When i got my car back after the build, it was like when i bought it for the first time. Its awesome how fun these cars are.

I hope you get it done soon! :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I'm rootin for ya!

When i got my car back after the build, it was like when i bought it for the first time. Its awesome how fun these cars are.

I hope you get it done soon! :thumbup:
Thank you, My engine is literally sitting on the floor waiting to go in lol

21 - 37 of 37 Posts