Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here it is guys, what we've all been waiting for. The new BM episode is excellent - the Evo X feature runs an hour long. If you appreciate the X, you must watch this in its entirety because you will not be disappointed. Grab the full video directly from here.

1/4 mile times:
X-5MT (5500RPM)

X-SST (Normal)

X-SST (Sport)

X-SST (S-Sport)

X-SST (S-Sport, 5000RPM Launch)

Slalom Battle:
X-5MT (ASC OFF) vs. X-SST (ASC ON)
The X-SST Won, but this battle was wack, watch the video for some hilarity!

Ebisu Circuit:
IX-GSR

X-5MT
22.476 (ASC OFF AYC OFF?)
22.142 (ASC OFF AYC ON?)
23.303 (ASC ON)

Tsukuba Battle (Best Lap):
IX-MR 1:06.264
07 STi 1:06.581
X-5MT 1:06.919
X-SST 1:07.360

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of all the BM vids I've seen this one was quite good.
Seems like all the drivers of the X praised it, including Keiichi Tsuchiya.
Jackygor you should get your sister to translate the whole video.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know how many of you have seen the video by now, but here's my impression:
-The X-SST is faster in the straights vs the X-5MT. It is inarguable now.
-Around the track SST loses out slightly to the 5MT as shown in the Tsukuba lap times on full automatic with no driver intervention. What would happen if the driver manually shifted the SST?
-On real curvy tracks the X wins over the IX, as shown in one of Ebisu's circuits. It loses on the straights though like on Tsukuba.

After seeing the dyno graph and watching this vid I'm convinced on the potential of the X. It may not be the fastest from the factory, but the handling is out of this world. And since handling is so difficult to improve upon, this is great news, because straight-line acceleration is much easier to deal with. I definitely wouldn't have it the other way around. Would you?

· Registered
1,565 Posts
I don't know how many of you have seen the video by now, but here's my impression:
-The X-SST is faster in the straights vs the X-5MT. It is inarguable now.
-Around the track SST loses out slightly to the 5MT as shown in the Tsukuba lap times on full automatic with no driver intervention. What would happen if the driver manually shifted the SST?
-On real curvy tracks the X wins over the IX, as shown in one of Ebisu's circuits. It loses on the straights though like on Tsukuba.

After seeing the dyno graph and watching this vid I'm convinced on the potential of the X. It may not be the fastest from the factory, but the handling is out of this world. And since handling is so difficult to improve upon, this is great news, because straight-line acceleration is much easier to deal with. I definitely wouldn't have it the other way around. Would you?
I think you've analyzed this pretty well. Cornering is when you have a lot of fun driving, all that change in momentum. My old MINI was a blast on a twisty track but lost it in the straights every time.

BUT, I think previous Evo owners will expect both faster straight ahead times and improved cornering, and they will still gripe about it. And that's fine by me.

Evolution, survival of the fittest, I think the Evo has grown up so that it can please a wider range of buyers while still satisfying the performance crowd. If it stayed like the Evo VII, VIII, and IX, with barely a convenience, lots of road noise, spartan interiors, etc., then it would become like the saber tooth tiger, excellent at bringing down the big game, but unable to adapt as mammals grew predominantly smaller and faster. The Evo is a wolf in shark's clothing. Too many analogy's here, Soopah out.

· Registered
329 Posts
i have a question, why the fck would anyone race the evo x mr in full auto mode. i mean, if they are going to compare the evo x sst vs other makes or other versions then shouldn't they test the sst with super sport mode on, every single time?

nobody is going to race around a track in full auto mode if they have the SST version of the Evo X, so why the heck would they test it any other way.

i guess it is comforting to know that even in full auto mode, the SST version stands up to the competition.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
i have a question, why the fck would anyone race the evo x mr in full auto mode. i mean, if they are going to compare the evo x sst vs other makes or other versions then shouldn't they test the sst with super sport mode on, every single time?

nobody is going to race around a track in full auto mode if they have the SST version of the Evo X, so why the heck would they test it any other way.

i guess it is comforting to know that even in full auto mode, the SST version stands up to the competition.
Full auto mode? What do you mean by that? Full auto has three settings, one of which is the super sport (SS) mode. I do not see where it says the settings they used during the track runs. Yes, they could manually shift the SST and compare that as well. Then you would have SST-SS mode track time and SST-manual track time to compare to the 5MT and the rest.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
As I've understood it in what I've read so far, super sport mode is upshifting automatically at about the red-line and downshifting pretty much at the point you stop WOT, though I'm sure there are rpm points, together with input from all the other electronic systems, that governs when it downshifts.

I believe you can manually shift in any of the automatic modes, correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.