Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
24,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else which Borg Warner would offer a turbo that sat between the 7670 and the 8374?

A little backstory.

The first aftermarket turbo I ran on my car was a ball bearing FP Black. It was great - good transient response (probably from the stock A/R), and it made good power throughout the rev range. The only thing really lacking was that the boost would fall off after 7000rpm, also probably due to the stock A/R. The car ended up making around 510whp or so IIRC.

Eventually, I changed it out for a Full Race turbo kit. It's great. I originally bought it with the 9180. After awhile, I got sick of the lag, and changed it out to an 8374 with a 1.05 A/R. I have twin external gates. It holds boost through my 9000rpm redline, and makes mid 500s at the tire on 93 octane. North of 4500rpm at WOT, it's a hoot.

I don't drive my car much, since I'm picky about weather and such. But when I do, I'm just generally driving it around town, and I still feel like the 8374 isn't much fun, unless I'm on the highway. Don't get me wrong, it's leaps and bounds more responsive than the 9180, but it's still not as snappy as the FP Black was.

Meanwhile, I've built and tuned a few cars will full race kits on the 7670 EFR turbo. They're responsive and fun. They safely put down 470-490whp on pump gas. They feel fast since they spool early, but they lack the crazy pull on the high end.

So anyway, here's my point. I want a more responsive setup, but I don't know if I'm willing to lose 70whp to step down to the 7670.

So here are my options, as I see it:

1. Convince borg to make a 8072 :bowlol:
  2. Change turbo manufacturers, which will essentially force me to change or modify much of my kit (the EFR turbos are wide and the FR kits are designed around that)
  3. Keep my turbo, put it on a corn diet (there's only one station within 45 mins of me), and enjoy the faster spool and extra power
  4. "Downgrade" to a 7670, and put it on corn in order to bridge the difference in power
I've considered stroking the motor as well for better response, but I'd rather not deal with the downsides.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Dino,

I would honestly shoot for the 500whp range. The best turbos to accomplish this are the FP Red BB or FP Black BB. I kept my own car in this range and it has been awesome overall car. Definitely very well rounded. I found the FP Red and Black can keep about 24-26 psi to 8k rpm. I usually rev my own car to 8500 rpm or so. I honestly feel most people search for the golden unicorn. But in the end a more balanced car is more fun to drive than a dyno or highway queen. My opinion of course.

I would say go back to a FP Red or Black. I had both the FP Green and Red on my car and they have been fantastic over the years. Never regretted either one of those purchases. If you have too much invested go to 7670 and you can add corn for extra power. However, I found E85 is a hassle easier to tune for E30 or E35 and get a small bump in power.

The problem is the fuel 93 octane does not like much past 30 to 33 psi. So going to E30 or a mix you would gain a few psi or deg of timing plus run a bit cooler in the top end. Might be a more fun combo with the 7670 on E30. Plus enjoy ringing out the car a bit more vs it trying to kill you.

In the end. I vote go to FP or step down to 7670 and E30.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've considered stroking the motor as well for better response, but I'd rather not deal with the downsides.
What downsides would that be?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Why not throw the smaller .92 turbine housing on it instead of the 1.05.

That should bring response up a but, with a negligible loss in HP at the top of the range, from all that ive read and seen, THAT 8374 setup, with a TS .92 hotside, is the ticket

·
Administrator
24,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not throw the smaller .92 turbine housing on it instead of the 1.05.

That should bring response up a but, with a negligible loss in HP at the top of the range, from all that ive read and seen, THAT 8374 setup, with a TS .92 hotside, is the ticket
I've thought about that, but the problem is that the .92 is only available as an internal gate, and I have externals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They're more temperamental to tune, they're not the best idea for super high RPMs, and they beat themselves up over time.
Curious how so?
I get the high RPM part but trying to understand how they are more temperamental to tune. I'm considering going for a stroker build to reduce lag... but more tuning issues wouldn't help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Curious how so?
I get the high RPM part but trying to understand how they are more temperamental to tune. I'm considering going for a stroker build to reduce lag... but more tuning issues wouldn't help.
I had 0 issues getting my stroker tuned. I hear more about tuning issues with big bore motors due to the extra noise they make and having to config the knock sensor for the extra noise. One would need Det cans to effectively maximize that setup. If you do plan to get your motor stroked then its highly recommended that you sleeve it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts