Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well my girlfriend wants to get me a tial Q for our 1 year anniversary and she wants me to make sure i get the right spring. What is the proper spring for our cars with a stock turbo and cams? (ive searched and have seen multitudes of responses)

P.S i am not going to recirculate it but i will be tuned for VTA and i researched the pros and cons of VTA.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
i have the tial qr with a -8psi spring, i get abit of flutter during partial throttle. Wraith has the -6psi and said it works perfect, so i would suggest the 6psi

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the tial qr with a -8psi spring, i get abit of flutter during partial throttle. Wraith has the -6psi and said it works perfect, so i would suggest the 6psi
dont the q and the qr use different springs? i read the 11psi spring was the one to get

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
they use the same spring. -11psi comes with the bov and its way to stiff. I get a tiny bit of flutter if i slowly speed up or if i speed up while using cruise control. I might order a -6psi down the road.

Heres 2 videos of what mine sounds like with the QR at about 75% throttle....cant go 100% since i added all my bolt ons and im waiting for a new tune

First video was with my drift innovation camera and the mic sensitivity was low

Second video was with my other camera

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
they use the same spring. -11psi comes with the bov and its way to stiff. I get a tiny bit of flutter if i slowly speed up or if i speed up while using cruise control. I might order a -6psi down the road.

Heres 2 videos of what mine sounds like with the QR at about 75% throttle....cant go 100% since i added all my bolt ons and im waiting for a new tune

so i should get a -6 spring for a tial Q im still reading may people saying that evo x's need the 11 psi spring.. ANyone else have input

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a 50mm as opposed to the Q. They use the same springs, but the springs are rated differently for the two different valves.

I've tried several different springs...a -7psi spring is too loose and leaves the valve hanging wide open at idle. -11psi spring is too tight and NEVER opens, even at WOT/full boost...you get some crazy surge. -9psi spring is just right, but it just barely cracks open at idle. I shimmed the spring a tiny bit with some washers and now it's perfect, stays fully closed at idle and is still very responsive.

For the Tial Q valve, a -10psi spring should be perfect.

This is how you want to adjust or choose the spring in a BOV, and that goes for all BOVs. You want it just tight enough so it keeps the valve closed at idle. Any tighter, it won't open very quickly and you lose response. Any looser, it'll hang open at idle.

For a recirculated valve, you can choose a lighter spring that will let it hang open a bit at idle. It'll gain you a bit of response and it won't matter if the valve is open since it's connected to the intake pipe. But for VTA, you want it fully closed idle.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok imma prob go with the -10 spring. When it says plain it means unpainted correct?

Ps same first name ftmfw

I have a 50mm as opposed to the Q. They use the same springs, but the springs are rated differently for the two different valves.

I've tried several different springs...a -7psi spring is too loose and leaves the valve hanging wide open at idle. -11psi spring is too tight and NEVER opens, even at WOT/full boost...you get some crazy surge. -9psi spring is just right, but it just barely cracks open at idle. I shimmed the spring a tiny bit with some washers and now it's perfect, stays fully closed at idle and is still very responsive.

For the Tial Q valve, a -10psi spring should be perfect.

This is how you want to adjust or choose the spring in a BOV, and that goes for all BOVs. You want it just tight enough so it keeps the valve closed at idle. Any tighter, it won't open very quickly and you lose response. Any looser, it'll hang open at idle.

For a recirculated valve, you can choose a lighter spring that will let it hang open a bit at idle. It'll gain you a bit of response and it won't matter if the valve is open since it's connected to the intake pipe. But for VTA, you want it fully closed idle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.