Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brakes have been progressively squealing louder the last 400 miles. Just turned 7000 and they're saying the brakes are shot! the brakes on my sti went and they did the brakes under warranty at 30,000mi. Mitsubishi told me tough luck.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
They shouldn't have gone out that fast. I had 9k on my with 2 track days and several autocrosses and still had 40% pad life left on my stockers.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
THat sucks balls. 30,000 on stock everything here.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
jack up the car, take off wheel(s) and take a look yourself. You can see the brake pad pretty easily once the wheel is off and see how much is left.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check it out. I can't imagine what would be squealing maybe pull the pads and squirt some of that blue sticky crap on the back of the pads if it's not the wear tabs.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'll check it out. I can't imagine what would be squealing maybe pull the pads and squirt some of that blue sticky crap on the back of the pads if it's not the wear tabs.
You can try pulling them and putting some of this on the shims. This stuff is great good to 3000F and you can get a small tube of it at your local parts store.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
20k on mine and probs 15% left. Something must be wrong with your driving or your brakes.
I am guessing it is the shop. You would literally either have to either dive bomb into red-lights or ride on the brake to get that kind of wear. Maybe heavy tracking but not with the normal everyday driving.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I am guessing it is the shop. You would literally either have to either dive bomb into red-lights or ride on the brake to get that kind of wear. Maybe heavy tracking but not with the normal everyday driving.
Yes thats true, they could just be doing their normal diagnostics R&R.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just hit 5,000 miles and mine are starting to squeal a good deal too, but I pulled the wheel and am not even close to half way through the pads. I'm gunna try to grease the pads a bit and see if that helps, otherwise I think I may have just heat glazed my pads and am going to have to deal with it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I just hit 5,000 miles and mine are starting to squeal a good deal too, but I pulled the wheel and am not even close to half way through the pads. I'm gunna try to grease the pads a bit and see if that helps, otherwise I think I may have just heat glazed my pads and am going to have to deal with it.
When you have them out hit them with some sandpaper and bed them again. Problem solved if the grease doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
So my brakes have been progressively squealing louder the last 400 miles. Just turned 7000 and they're saying the brakes are shot! the brakes on my sti went and they did the brakes under warranty at 30,000mi. Mitsubishi told me tough luck.
If your brakes are shot anywhere near that mileage, your driving = FAIL.

And you think a warranty will cover that? My god. :duh:

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
front or rears? if its the rears only, its probably the ASC system. Do you have the diff in snow mode? If you do and drive around hard, it'll engage the rear brakes automatically if it senses even a tiny bit of wheel spin.

if its the fronts.... slow down :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reserecting this. I have a bottle of windex sitting next to the evo. Every couple days just hose down front rotors. Kinda sucks but oh well.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
between this thread and your mileage thread, exactly how hard are you driving this thing. i have a feeling the reason your brakes are shot is the same reason you're getting 10mpg

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<- also 30k miles before the brake fluid warning came on, then I just put in more fluid since the pads still got life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts