Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed the Long block today and want an opinion on how To drive it During break in period.. The only procedures I got right now is when to Change the oil and to avoid constant rpms... So what's your guys opinion? Run harder and seat the rings or back off and wait it out?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
We had a debate about this not too long ago.

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
dont let it ever sit at one RPM.

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
You can read?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
here is what I did (note I chose todo the cams at the same time as the shortblock)

* put it in the car
* fill with AMSoil breakin (30W, high zinc, mineral)
* start and immediately bring the rpms upto 2000, rev motor slowly between 2000 and 3000rpm, this satisfies the cam break in requirements, do this for 10 mins
(have a friend check for leaks while your doing this)
* shutdown and let cool off overnight
* repeat the above.

so now you have 20 mins on your motor, which means the cams are done.

the next day:
* drove out onto the street
* kept boost under 10psi, and rpms under 5000
* gradually increased rpm's/throttle while driving around
* drove around for 10 mins, bought it back in and let it cooled down overnight

the next day:
* drove around for 20 mins, bought it back in and let it cooled down overnight

at this stage I had about 30km on the motor, so I dropped the oil and filter and refilled with more AMSoil breakin.

I checked the drained oil for particles (ran it through a rag) made sure nothing too big or lots of was there..

I basically then drove it for another 400km, varying loads/rpms/throttle, not really going over 6500rpm and 20psi

After a total 460km or so I dropped the oil and filter again

After this oil change I gave it WOT a few times to make sure the AFR's were good etc..

I drove it harder after the oil change, and less hard towards the end of the oil (as there would be more particles and shit in the oil at that stage)

at 460km I changed the oil/filter again - this time to Penrite Running in oil (ran out of AMSOil)

at 1000km I changed to AMSOIL AMO full synth..

** In regards to tuning, its a lot easier if you leave the injectors/maf/intake stock, that way your tune will be right to begin with and you dont need to worry about fuelling while your doing the break-in

Just to recap the oil changes:
0-30 = amsoil break-in + OEM filter
30-460 = amsoil break-in + OEM filter
460-1000 = penrite running-in + OEM filter
1000 = amsoil AMO full synth (0w-40) + OEM filter

I will probably change the AMO out after a couple of thousand..

I would LOVE to get some more AMSOil, but shipping is $$$ :(

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is what I did (note I chose todo the cams at the same time as the shortblock)

* put it in the car
* fill with AMSoil breakin (30W, high zinc, mineral)
* start and immediately bring the rpms upto 2000, rev motor slowly between 2000 and 3000rpm, this satisfies the cam break in requirements, do this for 10 mins
(have a friend check for leaks while your doing this)
* shutdown and let cool off overnight
* repeat the above.

so now you have 20 mins on your motor, which means the cams are done.

the next day:
* drove around for 10 mins, bought it back in and let it cooled down overnight

the next day:
* drove around for 20 mins, bought it back in and let it cooled down overnight

at this stage I had about 30km on the motor, so I dropped the oil and filter and refilled with more AMSoil breakin.

I checked the drained oil for particles (ran it through a rag) made sure nothing too big or lots of was there..

I basically then drove it for another 400km, varying loads/rpms/throttle, not really going over 6500rpm and 20psi

After a total 460km or so I dropped the oil and filter again

After this oil change I gave it WOT a few times to make sure the AFR's were good etc..

I drove it harder after the oil change, and less hard towards the end of the oil (as there would be more particles and shit in the oil at that stage)

at 460km I changed the oil/filter again - this time to Penrite Running in oil (ran out of AMSOil)

at 1000km I changed to AMSOIL AMO full synth..

** In regards to tuning, its a lot easier if you leave the injectors/maf/intake stock, that way your tune will be right to begin with and you dont need to worry about fuelling while your doing the break-in

Just to recap the oil changes:
0-30 = amsoil break-in + OEM filter
30-460 = amsoil break-in + OEM filter
460-1000 = penrite running-in + OEM filter
1000 = amsoil AMO full synth (0w-40) + OEM filter

I will probably change the AMO out after a couple of thousand..

I would LOVE to get some more AMSOil, but shipping is $$$ :(
Thank you so much for the detailed write!! My injectors maf housing are stock but i do have open filter intake cone... I know you said stock for break in.. Do u think it this a big concern. Also im
Ruining stock ROM with a vacuum line straight from compressor to WG so I'll only be hitting around 11 psi.. Is this enough for me to break it in or is that to babing it?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
as long as the MAF housing is stock, then your trims will take car of the idle/cruise.

I might think about adding a full point to the fuel maps to richen up the high load areas...

and 11psi is fine - especially for that initial 50km's...

I didn't baby it, but I certainly didn't thrash it..

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Whos they? MAP or me? Last time I checked I don't want this to break...Bc I'd have to buy another one....

They would be the ones who built and/or installed/tuned the motor. Our local guys seem to go through motors like girlfriends once the first one blows. Most of them are on their 3rd blocks already, it seems either your first one last or you just keep trying to find the one!

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Well MAP built it and I'm installing it, Clipse is tuning it, hopefully mine last... And I don't have to go to anyone

Most of the guys around here lost their built blocks at part-throttle, so spend enough time below/near that area to get things looking and feeling right, progressively of course.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.