Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the break in period, the manual recommends (page 3-2):

● Avoid revving the engine. Do not exceed 5,000 rpm for the first 600 miles (1,000 km).
● Avoid rough driving such as fast starts, prolonged high-speed driving and rough shifting for the first 300 miles (500 km).
● Avoid sudden braking for the first 300 miles (500 km).
● The standard-equipment tires use a high-grip compound. Thus drive with extra care for the first 200 miles (300 km).
● Do not overload the vehicle. Observe the seating capacity (See "Cargo loads precautions" on page 4-12).
● Do not use this vehicle for trailer towing.

I have been shifting before 4,000 rpm, staying below 60mph, and will be doing so for about 1,000 miles. ;)

Anyone doing anything different?

·
Our most "special" member
1,174 Posts
Reving as much as possible

Pedal to the Metal as much as I cant

Shift somewhere after 8k RPMS

Taking it to its top speed

Braking as late as possbile

Putting Diesel In instead of Premium

Lots of donuts

Burning out

Hardest shifts possible

You know, the usual break in stuff:)

:jk:

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Damn... what should I do 'cuz when I get my MR, I'll have to drive it from Los Angeles to Boise, ID, which will take 17+ hours on highway? Does it need an oil change earlier than the recommended 3,000 miles? I've heard after 1,000 for oil change during break in. I've never had a new car, so I'm not use to this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Refering again to my Warranty and Maintenance Manual:

There are two maintenance schedules that show proper service for your vehicle.

Regardless of which maintenance schedule you follow, the use of fully synthetic motor oil is required. See "Engine Oil and Filter" in the Owner's Manual for details on motor oil requirements.

First is "Regular maintenance schedule".
Follow the Regular maintenance schedule only if none of the driving conditions in the Severe maintenance section apply.

Second is "Severe maintenance schedule".
Follow the Severe maintenance schedule only if your vehicle is frequently under one or more of the following road conditions.

● Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
● Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
● Extensive idling and /or low speed operation
● Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures (engine not thoroughly warmed up)
● Extended use of brakes while driving
● More than 50% operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90°F (32°C)

Regular Maintenance Schedule starts at 5,000 Miles (8,000km) or at 5 months
Severe Maintenance Schedule start at 3,000 Miles (4,800km) or at 3 months.

·
Registered
153 Posts
For the first 100 miles, partial throttle and up 3/4 throttle up to about 4500 rpms, varying load and rpms as much as possible. After that, do a mix of light, medium, and heavy throttle applications all throughout the rev range up to 5000 rpms. Do some full throttle bursts to 5000, but don't go any over that, and don't do it all the time. Just mix it up as much as possible. Breaking in an engine too gently will not allow the rings and valves, and all the other stuff to seat properly, breaking it in too hard and you'll warp stuff and cause scuffing of the internal components. Afer 600 miles, I wouldn't immediately start redlining it. Start easing into 6000 ocassionally for another 100 miles, and then for the next 50-100 miles start hitting 6500 and ocassionally touching redline. After that, it's fair game. This is what I recommend, and what I am doing on my X, but everyone has different methods. Do whatever you think will work best for you. Just remember, not too gentle and not too rough. Other than that, mix it up however you like. Oh, and as far as the tranny is concerned, double clutch when upshifting and downshifting when it's cold to avoid the nothiness while the synchros are getting broken in. Once the tranny is warm, shift quickly and decisevly, but not too hard, an the shifts will be butter smooth. This seems to be what the X synchos like. Kep in mind though that after a few thousand miles pass this notchiness that seems common with the X should start to go away after all sharp edges and burs get smoothed out from use. Good luck, and enjoy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My Evo once I get it I'll settle for 3500 rpms as a shift point and thats assuming I'm doing the shifting ( MR X FTW)....I'll be leaving it in normal mode for the 1,000 mile break in I did it with the sentra and I've never had any engine problems and I drive the poor thing hard.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I went hard from the dealership.
Ok I stayed under 5000rpm for the first 1500kms. Otherwise it was all on.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
For the first 100 miles, partial throttle and up 3/4 throttle up to about 4500 rpms, varying load and rpms as much as possible. After that, do a mix of light, medium, and heavy throttle applications all throughout the rev range up to 5000 rpms. Do some full throttle bursts to 5000, but don't go any over that, and don't do it all the time. Just mix it up as much as possible. Breaking in an engine too gently will not allow the rings and valves, and all the other stuff to seat properly, breaking it in too hard and you'll warp stuff and cause scuffing of the internal components. Afer 600 miles, I wouldn't immediately start redlining it. Start easing into 6000 ocassionally for another 100 miles, and then for the next 50-100 miles start hitting 6500 and ocassionally touching redline. After that, it's fair game. This is what I recommend, and what I am doing on my X, but everyone has different methods. Do whatever you think will work best for you. Just remember, not too gentle and not too rough. Other than that, mix it up however you like. Oh, and as far as the tranny is concerned, double clutch when upshifting and downshifting when it's cold to avoid the nothiness while the synchros are getting broken in. Once the tranny is warm, shift quickly and decisevly, but not too hard, an the shifts will be butter smooth. This seems to be what the X synchos like. Kep in mind though that after a few thousand miles pass this notchiness that seems common with the X should start to go away after all sharp edges and burs get smoothed out from use. Good luck, and enjoy.
Good suggestion .. I transit to 7500rpms occasionally during break in ..
The worst thing you want to do is constant rpm/load .. because the components may not seat in properly when you're done ..

Also the new engine has performance pistons and rings .. so you actually need less time to run in ..

·
Registered
109 Posts
We drove it at the dealership, drove it home, put it up on the lift, built parts, beat the piss out of it on the dyno, then beat it once we got back to the shop.

That's what they mean by "break" in, no? :rock:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I varied the RPM's alot for the first 1000 miles. I also made sure to get up to 6500 rpms, with light throttle. This just ensured that everything was working properly. Then, at around 1200 miles, I took it to the track and really broke it in. Car did great at the track, no funny smells or anything.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.