Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alternator fell off!!!

I searched but couldn't find anyone else that had the same problem. I felt my power steering go out and then my "charging system maintenance" light came on. Pulled over immediately and noticed that the belt was still on all the right pulleys, but my alternator was just hanging there. It also took one of the a/c lines with it.

Any idea how this could have happened. I had the car completely apart back in august and I remember the alternator being really tight to on to the bracket. Did I just force it too much? Come to think of it, I remember doing a little grinding of the alternator (not the bracket) to get it to fit.

here's what it looks like out of the car.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I remember doing a little grinding of the alternator (not the bracket) to get it to fit.

Should NOT have had to do any grinding to get alternator to fit...Have no idea what's going on there but the force required to snap that bracket off seem like it would be quite a bit? Perhaps a silly question but are you sure it was the right alternator?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Grinding most of caused a weak spot and you hit a bad bump? Its cast aluminum, if it already had a small crack it can only get worst with the vibrations and bumps. That's my take on it. I had to put mine back in not to long ago and it was a PITA, had to use a Rubber mallet to avoid cracking it breaking anything, took me at least 1 hour to get everything back (Power steering, alt. and AC)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember doing a little grinding of the alternator (not the bracket) to get it to fit.

Should NOT have had to do any grinding to get alternator to fit...Have no idea what's going on there but the force required to snap that bracket off seem like it would be quite a bit? Perhaps a silly question but are you sure it was the right alternator?
Well now that I think about it I actually have never taken the alternator off of this car (taken the engine out but never alternator off engine). Here's a pic with the alternator on. This is as far as I've ever taken the motor down...

Could it be caused by excessive belt tension? I did the hyundai metal pulley upgrade. Was I supposed to get a longer belt maybe?

Here's the mounting area on the alternator....

And here's another pic of the bracket just for reference....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have to apologize for this thread. Looks like I just forgot to put the upper alternator bolt back on. Not sure why I even took it off.

If I had to guess, I would say that the belt basically just ripped the alternator off of the lower bracket. Expensive mistake! :/

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Lol I just spotted that too. Yeah, that'll do it. Good thing you figured it out. And expensive indeed. I bet the a/c line was about as much as the bracket.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol I just spotted that too. Yeah, that'll do it. Good thing you figured it out. And expensive indeed. I bet the a/c line was about as much as the bracket.
a/c line was $153. Bracket was $160 new but got in for $80 shipped through facebook evo site :)

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Damn, it's usually the small things that cause weird problems. Moral of the story - take pics of your motor out more often so you can refer to then when it blows up :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So this happened again. Starting to think that last time was not caused by me leaving the top bolt off.

This time it happened while I was getting on it in second gear in a turn...

This is such a bizarre problem. Has anyone else heard of this happening???

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to bring up an old post but what's the part number for this bracket, can't seem to locate an OEM part of Aftermarket.
Part number is 1801A067.

Took me forever to find it too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I bought two brackets. One from another member on this forum. And another from mitsubishiparts.net (Bruce Titus Automotive). However, they look a little different.

Does anyone know if mitsu revised this bracket or something???

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I bought two brackets. One from another member on this forum. And another from mitsubishiparts.net (Bruce Titus Automotive). However, they look a little different.

Does anyone know if mitsu revised this bracket or something???

·
Registered
11 Evo X MR
8 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead, as my alternator just popped off and looks exactly like pics in post #12. I know OP hasn't been on in 10mo, but wondering if anyone else has had this issue? To me it looks like a bolt sheered off, but this thread says the bracket is broken. I haven't torn into mine just yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts