Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
08 Lancer Evo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello recently I've installed an MAP Recirculating DP and replaced the factory manifold due to cracks w another oem manifold. After that I experienced some smoke on first drive and that stopped but I noticed when under heavy acceleration the car squeels. I've checked for a boost leak and there is none as far as I can see. Below are the things I've noticed so far. I've replaced the turbo,tensioner and serpentine belt. I'm at a loss on what it could be.

Symptoms
-low boost 3-5 pounds
-Loud squeeling noise when going into boost

Noise

Thank you for your help in advance
Edited 4/7

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check shaft play and spin it by hand. Also physically check the compressor wheel. Did you get dirt and grit into the turbo oil feed when you changed the manifold?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It definitely sounds like a bad turbo. Strange that it just happened after you installed the downpipe and manifold.

·
Registered
08 Lancer Evo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turbo sounds fucked, dont boost anymore!!!
it sounds like the blades are touching
What's the worst that could happen if I go into boost? I've done it a few times for the shits n giggles. Could I be fucking my car by driving it the way it is? (I stay outta boost usually)

·
Registered
149 Posts
What's the worst that could happen if I go into boost? I've done it a few times for the shits n giggles. Could I be fucking my car by driving it the way it is? (I stay outta boost usually)
If the bearings are damaged you could get bits of metal into your oil pan which end's up getting filtered but, if the compressor wheel grinds on the housing it will send bits of metal into the intake which will go into your combustion chamber.

If it really is the turbo that's bad I'd probably put and EFR 8474 + manifold and dp. It's costly though(5k ish for the kit). Cheapest option is a used oem turbo obviously but if you want to make more power without changing manifold, dp and fuel system I'd probably get an fp, tpc or any other stock housing turbo.

·
Registered
08 Lancer Evo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the bearings are damaged you could get bits of metal into your oil pan which end's up getting filtered but, if the compressor wheel grinds on the housing it will send bits of metal into the intake which will go into your combustion chamber.

If it really is the turbo that's bad I'd probably put and EFR 8474 + manifold and dp. It's costly though(5k ish for the kit). Cheapest option is a used oem turbo obviously but if you want to make more power without changing manifold, dp and fuel system I'd probably get an fp, tpc or any other stock housing turbo.
If I replaced w oem turbo should I go get tuned asap? Or am I good

·
Registered
149 Posts
You should not need a tune since you have an oem turbo right? Also did you physically check and confirm the turbo is bad? I mean it does sound like a bad turbo but doesn’t hurt to double check.

·
Registered
08 Lancer Evo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should not need a tune since you have an oem turbo right? Also did you physically check and confirm the turbo is bad? I mean it does sound like a bad turbo but doesn’t hurt to double check.
It is oem and I havent checked as I'm pretty busy I took it to a mechanic and he said it was most likely the turbo as he couldn't find a boost leak.

·
Registered
08 Lancer Evo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello recently I've installed an MAP Recirculating DP and replaced the factory manifold due to cracks w another oem manifold. After that I experienced some smoke on first drive and that stopped but I noticed when under heavy acceleration the car squeels. I've checked for a boost leak and there is none as far as I can see. Below are the things I've noticed so far. I've replaced the turbo,tensioner and serpentine belt. I'm at a loss on what it could be.

Symptoms
-low boost 3-5 pounds
-Loud squeeling noise when going into boost

Noise

Thank you for your help in advance
Edited 4/7
Edit replaced turbo,tensioner and serp belt and I still got the noise and low boost anyone got another idea?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does it happen when you rev the car up while not moving? If it does get a mechanic's stethoscope and try to listen for where the sound is the loudest.

·
Registered
08 Lancer Evo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it happen when you rev the car up while not moving? If it does get a mechanic's stethoscope and try to listen for where the sound is the loudest.
It does but only at redline I'm new to working on cars but ill look into It once I have another day off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts