Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a mechanic and I’m unsatisfied with his diagnosis, he literally charged me for telling me something I already knew.

Since I bought the car, I have been burning excessive amounts of oil. Initially I chocked it up to being the turbo which was blown anyway, but after replacing it I was still having the issue. Daily I have been losing about 1/2 to 1 quart of oil after driving (about 40 miles). My a/f ratio is sporadic. The spark plugs threads across all cylinders are covered in oil. I’m getting smoke from the exhaust, more noticeably after it’s warmed up, and at higher rpms it spews out. The compression on all cylinders are good. I’m suspecting valve guides or valve stems. Maybe even some leaky gaskets somewhere. I’m just hoping it’s not the piston rings. Is there any way for me to find out for sure what’s causing this? Has anyone had similar issues?

This is generally what is in the engine bay as far as mods.
Manly turbo tuff rods
CP pistons
ARP head studs
BC springs
BC retainers
BC stage 2 cams
ETS top mount kit
ID1700 injectors
Walbro 450 pump
Driven Fab flex fuel kit
Aeromotive FPR
Aeromotive in-line
Driven Fab catch can

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
So it's *only* 30K from new (or a build) and it's burning enough oil to kill all mosquitoes for miles around. I assume 30K miles ago it didn't burn oil?

That means it's worn out. Could be valve guides but to burn THAT MUCH oil, you'd also have some serious clattering - like a fully-loaded 12 cylinder diesel. You didn't mention that kind of noise.

What do the bores look like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
30k from new, it was built less than 5k miles ago, but has been burning way sooner than that. Could valve guides cause that much of a loss? I see gunk on top of the piston head, but I haven’t taken off the head to see into the cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And as far of noise, it clicks a good amount but I blamed that on the injectors. That’s where I sourced most of the sound from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been burning since I bought it, I drove 1500 miles while putting in 5 quarts every gas stop. And it’s not puffing out thick smoke, it’s barely noticeable if that makes a difference.

I appreciate the input, I’ll have it taken apart soon.

5,198 Posts
Daily I have been losing about 1/2 to 1 quart of oil after driving (about 40 miles). My a/f ratio is sporadic. The spark plugs threads across all cylinders are covered in oil. I’m getting smoke from the exhaust, more noticeably after it’s warmed up, and at higher rpms it spews out.

It has been burning since I bought it, I drove 1500 miles while putting in 5 quarts every gas stop. And it’s not puffing out thick smoke, it’s barely noticeable if that makes a difference.

I appreciate the input, I’ll have it taken apart soon.
5 quarts per gas stop? 1 quart per 40 miles?

Get off the internet and open the motor up. It's done. That is where you will get your answers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Problem here is the person that built your motor. You have a gap between the piston rings and the sleeves which is causing excessive oil to get above the piston head and burn the oil. You need to rebuild the motor and replace the rings. Also get a reputable company to build the motor. You really do get what you pay for. Companies like AMS cost more for engine builds but they are so far above 90% of the mechanics that will touch your Evo. People try and save money buy rebuilding the motor themselves or giving it to a local shop that says they can do it cheaper. Building it right the first time is always cheaper that having to pull the motor because of a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey man! I'm having the same issue. did you ever get yours figure it out? my motor was just built and the compressions are good across the board. but it is burning oil too. no clacking noise though.
appreciate any info!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts