Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
^ what tires do you drive in NJ winter weather? I've always used Conti DWS all seasons without issue. Even drove 50 miles on 1/4 inch of ice without losing grip once. Granted that was when the tire was new and all, but still impressive for great price all seasons. Besides, the roads get plowed in a day at most.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
YEAH! That is 100% true. If you have all seasons, you will do ok with careful planing, BUT, you might as well ditch Evo and drive a POS old corolla because feeling of the car and driving experience will be same on all seasons. When you get winters on, you are off for a serious controlled slides and fun of plowing through snow.

Another personal "do it" of mine is getting a cheap ($120 from ebay) lip as a snowplow - our cars are low, lips are lower then the underbody, so you will never high-center yourself again.

·
Administrator
24,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ what tires do you drive in NJ winter weather? I've always used Conti DWS all seasons without issue. Even drove 50 miles on 1/4 inch of ice without losing grip once. Granted that was when the tire was new and all, but still impressive for great price all seasons. Besides, the roads get plowed in a day at most.

I don't take my evo out in the rain let alone the snow!

I daily drive a Cayman S, and I have snow tires in the winter.

·
Administrator
24,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YEAH! That is 100% true. If you have all seasons, you will do ok with careful planing, BUT, you might as well ditch Evo and drive a POS old corolla because feeling of the car and driving experience will be same on all seasons. When you get winters on, you are off for a serious controlled slides and fun of plowing through snow.

Another personal "do it" of mine is getting a cheap ($120 from ebay) lip as a snowplow - our cars are low, lips are lower then the underbody, so you will never high-center yourself again.

High-Center meaning that you get stuck on the snow in the center of your car?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes.

Happens a lot when people try and drive through drifts and large snow banks. The car floats up over top the snow until the weight is too great then collapses over the snow.

I personally have Hankook I*cept EVO2 on my car.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
That's what I did the first winter I had Evo. I knew it's AWD and with winter tires it should be a monster in the snow. Then I proceeded to get stuck in the snowy parking lot where snow was higher than bumper. Stock bumper is curved up a bit and that packs snow under the car. Then your wheels hang and have no traction... and you have 2 choices - start digging if you have a shovel anything alike, or wait for someone driving by which is what I did.

Ever since I got a lip, I never had a problem with high centering the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts