Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking at buying my friends 2014 evo x with 38kms on it for $11k my friend says it has a slow drip leak at the transfer case says you can drive a bit but not as a daily until you get it fixed. I have 4gs total for expenses on the leak. Idk if this is a good a buy or not. He said it'll be 1500 to fix the leak. The cars been dyno tuned at Cobbs in Vancouver. Also has catback exhaust and CAI. Aftermarket rims and a carbon fiber wing. He didn't rally hard on the car either. Also could I just keep filling tranny up and drive her around until the appointment at the shop?

·
Registered
435 Posts
It all depends on how bad the leak is and where it is leaking from.

For reference, Jacks Trans charges $2250 for a complete rebuild of the T-case. Who is doing the work? If you go that route, it probably would be getting close to the 4k mark. Maybe $3500 or so. Maybe it doesn't need a rebuild and it would be considerably cheaper.

As far as driving it, you probably can? If you buy it, first thing I would do would be to drain and fill the T-case to make sure you know how much fluid is in it. Then check it after driving. Put something under the car to gauge how fast the leak is. It will probably smell pretty bad considering the Tcase has gear oil in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It all depends on how bad the leak is and where it is leaking from.

For reference, Jacks Trans charges $2250 for a complete rebuild of the T-case. Who is doing the work? If you go that route, it probably would be getting close to the 4k mark. Maybe $3500 or so. Maybe it doesn't need a rebuild and it would be considerably cheaper.

As far as driving it, you probably can? If you buy it, first thing I would do would be to drain and fill the T-case to make sure you know how much fluid is in it. Then check it after driving. Put something under the car to gauge how fast the leak is. It will probably smell pretty bad considering the Tcase has gear oil in it.
Its a very slow leak right above the exhaust:/ he says its leaking from the inner transfer case seal. Also said he had it replaced before. I'll be going to a shop in terrace BC probably the tranny shop 'Auto choice mechanics' they fixed my tranny on my truck. Also how much transfer case oil does it take? And how can I check the level

·
Registered
435 Posts
Transfer case is only about 1 quart of fluid. There is a fill plug and a drain plug.

To check, You take off the fill plug. If there is fluid coming out, its full/overfull. If there isn't any coming out, you pump fluid in until it starts to come out of the fill plug. Pretty simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts