Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this ACD code?? It came after my ACD pump started to whine (again...) :(

Dealership has had my car for almost a month now...

They have replaced the wiring harness, connectors, lines to pump/diff, and most recently the freaking S-AWC computer... all to no success...

Any and all help is welcomed! (NOW HELP ME!!! lol)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
They didn't change the pump? Are there any other codes? If so, what are they? (C1611, C1612, C1625, C161D) I would consider it odd to not get another code with the one you listed.
If I recall, your pump was running all the time right? This would match the DTC, wich is for the solenoid being stuck. But the solenoid isn't going to shut off until the system is at correct pressure. So if the pressure is still off, the pump will keep running, and set this code, even though the solenoid is fine.

The probable cause for this per the manual are in this order.
1. low fluid.
2. AWC pressure sensor malfunction.
3. Pump relay malfunction
4. Hydraulic Unit
5. Electric pump
6. Wire Harness
7. AWC ECU

I didn't see The pressure sensor on the list of repairs. (Its under lower right quarter, and is NOT part of the pump or hydraulic module). I also didn't see the pump, wich is probably shot based on the noise it has been making, and the fact that it NEVER shuts off (wich is the what the DTC says). Considering the sensor is second on the list, I would be surprised if they haven't checked it, but maybe they havent
Make sure they have replaced the pressure sensor. If so, then the hydraulic unit would be next.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight man. The C161E was the only code I was able to see. When I tried using my AP to read it; the first time it said no code available, 2nd time just gave me "ACD: C161E".

Gillman in Houston changed something with the pump, but it seams they didn't change the unit (or something along those lines). My car is at Gillman San Antonio right now, and thankfully they have been pretty decent with the whole issue, but are completely clueless on what to do...

They have replaced quite a bit of stuff already, most recently the AWC computer so I would hope they checked the sensor first lol. I talked to them last Monday telling them that maybe my pump failed due to temp since my car spent the winter in a whole bunch of snow; but they told me the already went through that route.

Also the pump has gone completly quiet, and my middle display looks like this.

Compare that to this pic of a reg evo. See how my middle line is missing??

I have no clue what that means. Could that part of my awd system be off?? IDK :(

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealership will be replacing the electric motor which comes in on Wed... damn idiots don't want to listen to me when I told them to check the AWC pressure sensor.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got my car back on Sat, supposedly completely fixed. I have ragged the crap out of her since I got her and no complaints from her yet so I am hoping she is finally well.

Also hope there is no more problem b/c the district manager got involved and I have been given a "final warranty (something something) notice" since my car is modded...

I will be making a thread sometime this week documenting what happened and all the steps taken since this seams to be a semi-rare event and info came in randomly (THANX KOZMIC27), ur the tits!!! :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Why did they involve the district manager? Because they were to stupid to follow the manual that Mitsubishi provided for them to trouble shoot and fix the problem? This is the kind of shit that just pisses me off. I remember your car having the pump running constantly from months ago, but did not realize that this thread was about your car until we spoke on the phone. I thought Mitsubishi fixed your car months ago, before you left for school.

Obvioulsy Mitsubishi's strategy is to void as many warranties as possible to get out of doing repairs rather than training their technicians so they can diagnose and repair efficiently. I would like to see the cost of the parts they put on your car befor they actually fixed it. I would be surprised if the parts bill is less than 2k.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure why the district manager was involved, service rep told me since they got tech line and someone else involved the district manager had to be brought in as well (load of bs). The guy is clearly clueless about the car. He said that I had "a weird fan setup in the front"... my SSP front mount... LMAO. He also didn't like my exhaust and for some reason my trunk...

The first dealership claimed they fixed my car but it started to whine about 1 week later.

IDk to what extent they used the manual... When I talked to the guy they checked a lot of the stuff on the list, but they did it in a crazy random order. The guys also had no idea about the awc pressure sensor in the bumper, which I pretty much forced them to check and supposedly came out fine.

Paperwork says they spent $2500 to fix my car this time. Now this dealer told me they had to replace the pump that the 1st dealer had replaced... the pump was $1200... So that puts my car around $3700 for the whole bs ordeal since July

Why did they involve the district manager? Because they were to stupid to follow the manual that Mitsubishi provided for them to trouble shoot and fix the problem? This is the kind of shit that just pisses me off. I remember your car having the pump running constantly from months ago, but did not realize that this thread was about your car until we spoke on the phone. I thought Mitsubishi fixed your car months ago, before you left for school.

Obvioulsy Mitsubishi's strategy is to void as many warranties as possible to get out of doing repairs rather than training their technicians so they can diagnose and repair efficiently. I would like to see the cost of the parts they put on your car befor they actually fixed it. I would be surprised if the parts bill is less than 2k.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
so...replacing the motor fixed the problem?? I have the code as well...
Because Mendo's pump was running non stop for so long, it is hard to say if the motor fixed it, or originally something else was bad, and the motor ate itself because it was running all the time.

Because of the cost of correcting this issue, I would recomend stocking your car, and having Mitsu fix it. Feel free to bring them the list I posted from this thread.

The manual reference you can give them is p22A-59. The list is on that page for that specific code.

·
Registered
636 Posts
so i got this code yesterday. nothing has been done to my drivetrain except fluids in august of last year. i see the list posted above, but how do i go about investigating what i can on my own before taking it to the dealership?

FYI, I used my accessport to read and then clear the code and it didnt come back yet. Not sure if thats good or bad.

·
Registered
636 Posts
^ just as an update, the code did come back (the advice of a friend mentioned it was a code that the system would cycle and hit every 60 miles or so, and he was right). So after getting it for the third time i decided to take it in.

They were able to pull the code and cross reference it and the first action listed was a reflash of the AWC ECU from a TSB that came out in March 2011. If that didnt correct it (which would only work if there was no actual problems since that TSB only eliminates false/incorrect pressure readings), the next step was the pump.

Problem is, its not under warranty because im at 40k miles, so if its anything auxiliary, like the electric pump is, its out of pocket. if its the actual ACD, they said it would be under the 5 year powertrain/drivetrain warranty as long as its approved by the regional rep (who will scrutinize everything on the car to determine legitimacy).

With the new reflash i get the same thing in the multi info display that Mendo gets where the line in the middle disappears and the word (tarmac, gravel, snow) flashes. They told me when it does that, its a safe mode and when that happens the diff doesnt lock, regardless of setting but the car is fine to drive. I can certainly tell because handling has take a shat compared to what she used to do.

So basically, i want to confirm from the knowledgeable individuals here that the whining noise I hear when the car is first started is the electric pump and not any thing else cheaper to replace. I cant say its running all the time since i cant hear it all the time but the "safe mode flashing" happens constantly while driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, am having the same problem...

it started with occasional Whining sounds in spread of 2-3months...
then it just happen 3weeks again with the 'Service required' alert ..

After reading the code by a WS using MUT3 and Mitsubishi Local dealer,
trouble codes are
- C161E AWC Pump Faulty
- P0830 Clutch Pedal SW Circuit

Both codes might not be related though.. not sure..
But was adviced to change the
- Pump $3k+
- AWC Control unit $1k+

Any findings so far dudes?? :?
haizz... though i can still drive the car, but give me no confidence in taking corners at a higher speed (which i not do on normal street) :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same c161e issue come up last year, despite having the SAWC reflash already done. My pump had completely failed, but my local dealership replaced it under warranty (car is still stock).

I'll see if I can find the work order for the part #.

I think I had the same whining noise on ignition for a bit, but it went away after (maybe once the pump was completely dead?).

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had the same c161e issue come up last year, despite having the SAWC reflash already done. My pump had completely failed, but my local dealership replaced it under warranty (car is still stock).

I'll see if I can find the work order for the part #.

I think I had the same whining noise on ignition for a bit, but it went away after (maybe once the pump was completely dead?).
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!:godance:

·
Registered
636 Posts
i have the shop manual on a cd rom, can anyone tell me what page the pump shows up in a diagram? i really want to see this thing....

·
Registered
983 Posts
I would tell them that you appreciate their warrantying it, but since the undertook the project in the first place, they are not responsible for seeing it through to the end.

If they said that you were under warranty in the first place and they have had your car the whole time, it should still be covered with no ultimatum. (Am I making sense?) Nothing has changed on your car since the original incident, but because it is more complicated now than they had though/hoped, they are going to neglect to honor your warranty. That's some pure bullshit. If you want, tell them this.

Edit: Now the real reason I am here:
I got the same code last week and had no control over my AWC system. I took it it, told them it was never serviced, told them it was vibrating at high speeds (it wasn't), and the guy had his tech diag it. After only 1 day of testing and diagnosing, I called and said that the problem was most likely the pump. Next day, pump ordered....

It should be in tomorrow; I will let you know what happened. And, I'm not paying a dime. (He already told me that; not even for a T-case and Diff fluid change.)

More info about my case to help others:
24.6k miles

Live in FL

Never serviced the ACD, T-Case, or SST (gonna do it soon once the pump is replaced)

Got the C161E code

Cleared it; it came back (DIDN'T NOTICE WHINING)

Went to dealer...told them about it and made sure it was under warranty (I asked him at least 3 times: "Is this covered, even with my
mods?" and he said, "Yes.)

They Diagged it for a day or so to no avail

Told the guy about the trouble people are having with them on the internet between 25k and 40k miles

He said his tech was gonna look into the actual pump

He called, said that after being on techline, they see that it is the pump

They are replacing the pump

I should get the car back tomorrow or Monday

I will update with more info

·
Registered
8 Posts
that's absolutly ridiculous for them to have your car for that long. The only thing they should have replaced is the AWC pump itself. I believe my pump will have to be relaced also but i.m not about to spend $1500.00 dollars on it like the dealership says it will cost. I'm going to explore other options in obtaining a new pump.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts