Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Just got my new 2008 mod GSR Evo X with Aero package , manual tranny

so its 295hp , 407n-M , called my local chiptuning-shop and they said they could tune it , i would get 50 more hp and 50-60 more n-M

Can i safely do this , or will the pistons etc / gaskets etc / alternator-belt etc / ( basicly my entire engine ) budge because of the added horsepower ?

If not, are there things i HAVE to change on this car if im to do this ? Like a racing clutch , bigger injens , the works ?

Take for example the UK-models ;

• FQ-360 – Engine rated 359 PS (264 kW; 354 hp) at 6500 rpm and 492 N·m (363 lb·ft) at 3500 rpm.
  • FQ-400- Engine rated 410 PS (300 kW; 400 hp) and 542 N·m (400 lb·ft) of torque
Do these two cars have the same engine components as my North-american made GSR ?

cheers

·
Registered
983 Posts
You have a lot to learn?

Lesson 1: Search
Lesson 2: Do you think we all have stock EVOs?
Lesson 3: Don't say "chiptune"; there is no such thing as the conventionally intended "chip". All changes are made in the software (not hardware) that is already in your factory ECU.

Now, as far as your "tune":
Don't expect 50hp from a tune. Expect about 25-30 on a stock setup. You can definitely handle all of the power you will get from a tune; in fact, if done properly, of course, your motor will run "better" with a tune.

I would suggest search shops that people have used on here for tuning and go to one of them. That way, you know they have EVO X tuning experience. [STRIKE]Where are you from?
[/STRIKE]EDIT: Where do you live?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im from Norway , hence the "language-barriers"

1 : Im no mechanic , so yes i have alot to learn, not all people are that into cars

2 : Never even approached the subject of implying that you all have stock evo's

3 : This is a helping forum, so please dont respond to my questions with a "Search" answer, your not helping at all , please just answer my questions ( newbie-questions as they may be , doesnt matter )

But thnx, if it adds another 25-30hp and my engine can handle it then im ok with that :)

Would you recommend any other "must-have" mods btw ? Like K&N filter pack or larger downpipe etc , im not looking for a crank 400hp + car here , just small mods that will increase the lifespan and quality of my car :- )

·
Registered
983 Posts
Intake, Turbo Back exhaust, Intercooler pipes, BOV, and a tune.

You will be at 350awhp with that setup if tuned properly.

I did not intend to offend you; telling someone to "search" on a topic such as this is quite commonplace. I understand the language barriers, although your English is near-perfect.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Uh, I've see numbers of people getting 50awhp from a tune on a stock car. Especially on a 2008, less on a 2010 or 2011 b/c they come with better factory tunes. You will have 100% fine, no need for a clutch or anything else even with the 50hp bump.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Im from Norway , hence the "language-barriers"

1 : Im no mechanic , so yes i have alot to learn, not all people are that into cars

2 : Never even approached the subject of implying that you all have stock evo's

3 : This is a helping forum, so please dont respond to my questions with a "Search" answer, your not helping at all , please just answer my questions ( newbie-questions as they may be , doesnt matter )

But thnx, if it adds another 25-30hp and my engine can handle it then im ok with that :)

Would you recommend any other "must-have" mods btw ? Like K&N filter pack or larger downpipe etc , im not looking for a crank 400hp + car here , just small mods that will increase the lifespan and quality of my car :- )
Greetings from the USA. My condolences to what recently happened, it surprises me that something like that would happen to such a friendly country.

First, if you want lifespan, do regular maintenance. Make sure you use quality synthetic oil.

Second, you need to ask yourself what risks you are willing to take to mod your car. I do not know what your warranty policy is for your car in Norway, but in the US they can cancel your warranty just because you have an intake.

I think a K and N filter is fine since its stealthy, exhaust would be great, and upgrade UICP.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Greetings from the USA. My condolences to what recently happened, it surprises me that something like that would happen to such a friendly country.

First, if you want lifespan, do regular maintenance. Make sure you use quality synthetic oil.

Second, you need to ask yourself what risks you are willing to take to mod your car. I do not know what your warranty policy is for your car in Norway, but in the US they can cancel your warranty just because you have an intake.

I think a K and N filter is fine since its stealthy, exhaust would be great, and upgrade UICP.
They can only cancel your warranty on parts that are affected by the aftermarket parts. I understand there is gray area, but everyone makes it seem like they will not replace a rear control arm if you have an intake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you poondoggs , its been a terrible time for us here, but people feel more united now than ever before so one day at a time

As for the warranty, all warranty on the car is canceled out when you import from USA to Europe , so i have no guarantee on any of the parts :S

·
Registered
78 Posts
The easiest way to make a little extra power is with those bolt on previously mentioned. Many people would skip changing out the downpipe because it's a tough job, and the stock dp is decent.

If you're somewhere like Stravanger I'd avoid any Cold Air Intake. Get a decent intake, but make sure it will stay dry.

I expect there are many great tuners near you. You Nordics know your rally machines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The easiest way to make a little extra power is with those bolt on previously mentioned. Many people would skip changing out the downpipe because it's a tough job, and the stock dp is decent.

If you're somewhere like Stravanger I'd avoid any Cold Air Intake. Get a decent intake, but make sure it will stay dry.

I expect there are many great tuners near you. You Nordics know your rally machines.
Yea i live like ...2 minutes from Polly Motorsports , he's basicly over in the USA kicking ass every year, he has ( or had ) the fastest muscle-car in the world ( cant remember wich, think its a corvette ) So decent info/work is not a prob :)

only prob is there are 9-10 x EVO X in the country so i thought i'd ask, better safe than sorry

·
Registered
291 Posts
Andak,

If you intend on leaving the car stock and are simply in need of a tune then take a look at a product known as the Cobb Accessport. If my memory serves me properly your looking at approximately a 20-25hp bump on the stock setup for $500-600 U.S. In addition thanks to its logging properties cobb tuners can work with you via phone/interenet for vehicle specific tunes. Especially if you utilize cobb parts if/when you begin to modify your vehicle

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Holy Shit Gump... Nice Sig.

Evos respond well to modding... I have fairly basic mods and it's a whole new car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts