Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people !

Just registered today because I saw the Exo X and am very interested in purchasing (if price is right). With the Canadian dollar so strong right now I would hope that Mits Canada will give us a price close to our American friends. I have heard 30-50k Canadian for the MR. Anyone know the real scoop?

Time to catch up on some threads.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Hello people !

Just registered today because I saw the Exo X and am very interested in purchasing (if price is right). With the Canadian dollar so strong right now I would hope that Mits Canada will give us a price close to our American friends. I have heard 30-50k Canadian for the MR. Anyone know the real scoop?

Time to catch up on some threads.
We do not have any hard numbers on it yet. My dealer said the GSR could be around $40-45K, and the MR and MR Premium could as much as $5K more for each step up. So, to the extreme an MR Premium could be CDN$55K, but I think they wouldn't sell more than a few at that price, not when Mercedes and BMW can be purchased for less than that. Many car companies are scrambling to offer rebates and lower rates on their bread and butter cars, and are actively blocking the sale and importation of US cars to Canada. Many lawsuits are in the works on both sides of the border against the car companies unfair practices. Whatever happened to free trade?

What I have a problem with is that these cars are made in Japan and sold in Japan in Yen, and when you do the conversion to USD you get something reasonable, like $34-35K for a GSR. Likewise, in Canada you would have the same price or lower. But they are trying to work this model into their entire line-up, and cannot price it based on the Japanese price. They need to charge more or else all other Mitsu's in Canada will become devalued, used car prices will drop, lease residual values will drop, and it will really screw things up for Mitsu and their dealers. But I don't give a Shiite about them, I just want a good deal and not to be screwed over.

You will not be able to import a US EVO no matter what because the US spec cars are designed such that they do not to pass Canada's bumper test. One spec sheet we have seen shows that Canadian EVO X's are 1.9 inches longer than the US EVO X's. That probably indicates they've added extra space up front for absorbing low speed impact energy and keeping damage below $1,000. We do not yet know if they could be modified here to pass the Canadian requirements, but it would not be cheap, and the dealers would probably not want to do it. You may also have to subject your car to the actual test (is this ever really required???) so you would then have a damaged bumper!

I called up a Subaru dealer yesterday and they are still able to sell to Canadians, though for warranty you need to go through SoA and/or US dealers. The 2008 STI is admissable to Canada so far as we know. Pricing and options for the US STI should be availble in a couple weeks according the dealer I spoke to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We do not have any hard numbers on it yet. My dealer said the GSR could be around $40-45K, and the MR and MR Premium could as much as $5K more for each step up. So, to the extreme an MR Premium could be CDN$55K, but I think they wouldn't sell more than a few at that price, not when Mercedes and BMW can be purchased for less than that. Many car companies are scrambling to offer rebates and lower rates on their bread and butter cars, and are actively blocking the sale and importation of US cars to Canada. Many lawsuits are in the works on both sides of the border against the car companies unfair practices. Whatever happened to free trade?

What I have a problem with is that these cars are made in Japan and sold in Japan in Yen, and when you do the conversion to USD you get something reasonable, like $34-35K for a GSR. Likewise, in Canada you would have the same price or lower. But they are trying to work this model into their entire line-up, and cannot price it based on the Japanese price. They need to charge more or else all other Mitsu's in Canada will become devalued, used car prices will drop, lease residual values will drop, and it will really screw things up for Mitsu and their dealers. But I don't give a Shiite about them, I just want a good deal and not to be screwed over.

You will not be able to import a US EVO no matter what because the US spec cars are designed such that they do not to pass Canada's bumper test. One spec sheet we have seen shows that Canadian EVO X's are 1.9 inches longer than the US EVO X's. That probably indicates they've added extra space up front for absorbing low speed impact energy and keeping damage below $1,000. We do not yet know if they could be modified here to pass the Canadian requirements, but it would not be cheap, and the dealers would probably not want to do it. You may also have to subject your car to the actual test (is this ever really required???) so you would then have a damaged bumper!

I called up a Subaru dealer yesterday and they are still able to sell to Canadians, though for warranty you need to go through SoA and/or US dealers. The 2008 STI is admissable to Canada so far as we know. Pricing and options for the US STI should be availble in a couple weeks according the dealer I spoke to.
Thanks for the very informative post ! Seems like you too are sick of getting shafted when it comes to the price of the same products between the states and Canada. I know I am. So much so I imported two motorcyles last year from the US. The same bikes in Canada were much more expensive. After all was said and done, I saved around $4k. That would be even more today with the exchange rate.

I am eagerly awaiting some pricing, but if it upwards of 40+, then forget it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Winnipeg Free Press on Friday Dec 7 had an article where the writer apparently spoke with a Mitsu Rep, and she said that GSR's were to arrive Feb, and MR's a month after with a base price for a GSR at $33,000. It is a paper, but if that holds true, I would put an MR at $38,000ish and a premium at $43,000 which is pretty reasonable considering the pricing of an STi.....

Lets cross our fingers up here!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
EVO-mania coming to Canada

Winnipeg Free Press on Friday Dec 7 had an article where the writer apparently spoke with a Mitsu Rep, and she said that GSR's were to arrive Feb, and MR's a month after with a base price for a GSR at $33,000. It is a paper, but if that holds true, I would put an MR at $38,000ish and a premium at $43,000 which is pretty reasonable considering the pricing of an STi.....

Lets cross our fingers up here!
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/autos/story/4089718p-4688069c.html

NEARLY 300 horsepower and a full 300 lb-ft. of torque headline the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Mitsubishi Canada released details recently on the first EVO to come to Canada 16 years after EVO enthusiasts first started drooling from afar.

The fun begins with a turbocharged 2.0-litre, four-cylinder engine rated at 291 horsepower at 6,500 r.p.m. and 300 lb-ft. of torque at 4,400 r.p.m. That power is supplied to all four wheels through either a five-speed manual transmission (EVO GSR) or a six-speed automated manual transmission (EVO MR) with steering-wheel shift paddles.

That transmission uses two clutches to effect gear changes: when one gear is selected, the next is pre-selected on the other clutch. For a gear change, the clutches are "swapped" and the now-inactive clutch cues up another gear. On downshifts, the transmission blips the throttle to match engine revs.

The all-wheel-drive system is also new. Dubbed Super-All Wheel Control (S-AWC), it not only manages a torque split between front and rear axles, the system reads such data as steering wheel angle, throttle opening, wheel speeds and the vehicle's longtitudinal and latitudinal movement to determine the vehicle's path of travel. An Active Yaw Control rear differential also takes input from vehicle sensors to not only split torque differentially, but also to help manage yaw.

Four-wheel disc brakes, 18 by 8.5-inch wheels (shod with Yokohama ADVAN asymmetrical performance tires) and an available Premium Package, including a Rockford-Fosgate 650-watt premium sound system with SIRIUS satellite radio, 10-inch subwoofer and 30-gigabyte hard-disk drive navigation system with 7.5-inch touch screen, Bluetooth handsfree and a power sunroof round out the EVO details.

Look for the EVO GSR in Canadian showrooms in late February or early March with the MR about three to four weeks later. Pricing will be announced at a later date, but spokeswoman Susan Elliott said Mits Canada is targeting a starting price 10 to 15 per cent lower than the competition, which in this case is the $33,000 Subaru WRX.

--Kelly Taylor

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I was shocked when I read that, but since prices are coming out end of week, why would a rep quote a lowball price, only to have it inflated a few days later? That wouldn't be very powerful marketing.. The other way around I could see, but I think we can expect something VERY close to that. It makes sense too since I know Subaru Canada is on the verge of dropping Canadian prices on cars not already on the rebate list.... I would also venture a guess and say that if we wait a little longer to buy, the rebates will get better and better....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Damn you guys work quick... I guess that means base of $28 - $30000? See I'm in marketing, I know to quote hi, and then surprise when it's lower :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Note, 10-15% below competition, which is the STI, not the WRX. STI is expected to clock in at $50K Canadian, but this is a fully loaded STI, more comparable to the MR with Premium package. Dialing back from $50K for an STI gives us $45K for an MR Premium, $42K for an MR and $39K for a GSR.

Yes, I would be happy with a $33K GSR. But I would bet my left nut that will not be the price (higher or lower, including freight, pdi, air tax, etc., and I keep my nut, thank you very much:)) If the GSR came in at $33K, less than the WRX, then where would that put a Ralliart sportback version?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Damn you guys work quick... I guess that means base of $28 - $30000? See I'm in marketing, I know to quote hi, and then surprise when it's lower :D
That would put the predicted US price higher than the Canadian price, never happen.

Damn it, just tell us how much the cars will cost! They are arriving in two weeks! COME ON!!!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Note, 10-15% below competition, which is the STI, not the WRX. STI is expected to clock in at $50K Canadian, but this is a fully loaded STI, more comparable to the MR with Premium package. Dialing back from $50K for an STI gives us $45K for an MR Premium, $42K for an MR and $39K for a GSR.

Yes, I would be happy with a $33K GSR. But I would bet my left nut that will not be the price (higher or lower, including freight, pdi, air tax, etc., and I keep my nut, thank you very much:)) If the GSR came in at $33K, less than the WRX, then where would that put a Ralliart sportback version?
Honesty, I wouldn't feel too ripped off paying 45k for a fully loaded MR, but then that is just me.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
From CCC:

2008 Subaru Impreza 5dr HB Man WRX

Retail Price (Wholesale Price)
Base $33,895.00 ($30,675.00)
Freight $1,495.00 ($1,495.00)
FEDERAL AIR CONDITIONING EXCISE TAX (-EXTAX) $100.00 ($100.00)
Subaru Dealer Advertising Charge (DAC) $0.00 ($300.00)
Totals including all items above $35,490.00 ($32,570.00)

In BC we have a law that says freight/pdi and air tax must be included in advertised prices, as such, this mean the MSRP for a WRX is $35,490 (and I believe $500 less for the sedan).

There is no way the GSR will come close to this total price (before taxes and other 'your a stupid consumer so I'm gonna bend you over and give it to you' fees).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was also told by the local Mitsu Manager that they were expecting a $5000 gap from GSR - MR - MR Premium.... I think that with the stereo/Navi you would be getting a terrific value at under $5000 between MR and MR Premium.... But then again, I smell incentive coming.... Maybe it isn't bad that they are taking their time with the pricing when Porsche/Subaru/Audi/GM etc... are all slashing their MSRP's...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Honesty, I wouldn't feel too ripped off paying 45k for a fully loaded MR, but then that is just me.
Judging by you avatar I think you've already had your nuts ripped off!
:jk:

I agree, that would be an OK price. But I feel like we are supporting manufacturers with our higher prices (compared to the US) and I feel ripped off. People in other countries should be feeling the same thing. Only we have the problem next door. Really, everyone in Canada should stop buying new cars and just import used ones from the US. Then we shall see what happens to new car prices. We have only seen a small change in prices so far, and only see big rebates and low rates on cars we do not typically want (and how is this any different from when the dollar was low).

For example, Toyota sells their Highlander in V6 and Hybrid forms. The V6 currently has a $4,000 rebate, the hybrid nothing. It already starts off with a higher MSRP and then no rebate from the manufacturer. I know it is all about supply and demand. However, they are using these rebates to suggest they are bringing prices more in-line with the US, and that is complete BS!!! In the US the Highlander Hybrid Limited is $43,770 (with destination and option package A). In Canada it is $57, 365 (including freight and delivery, no option packages, similar to US option package A).

HOLY $HIT! You see that??? Same f-ing car for $13,595 more! And what do they do about the difference in price? Nothing, f-all. Thanks Toyota, thanks Subaru, thanks Mitsubishi, thanks Honda, thanks GM, thanks Ford, thanks for f-ing NOTHING you POS's!!!

I need some more coffee, where's my coffee...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Subaru only seems like they are slashing prices. MSRP's stay the same. They provide a cash incentive of $8,000 on a Legacy, or a low interest rate (1.9%), not both. They do give a $1,500 rebate stackable with interest, but that is small compared to the premium we are paying. We always get moderate to good interest rates, so this is a come on. Further, the Impreza, WRX, and presumably the STI, have no rebates and only half-hearted rates (5.9% 48 month lease or 60 month finance).

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.