Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm pretty new to the Evo life and I bought this 2011 Evo X maybe a month ago with a dead clutch. So I changed it with a Competition Clutch Stage 4. After I made a launch with traction control on, it didn't really like it and it stopped wanted to shift in any gear when the car is on! So I thought it was just the TOB that unclipped from the pressure plate but when I try to disengage the clutch everything seems to be moving and the TOB was still clipped in. But I think it doesn't get pulled enough (even though it was getting disengaged a day before), so I checked the slave cylinder and there was some liquid in the rubber boot and some got passed the seals, but other than that, no major leaks coming from there. Do you guys think it could be just the slave cylinder?

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could definitely be the slave cylinder. The CMC in these cars is plastic from the factory and doesn't like upgraded clutches. There are plenty of good replacements. Check with MAP. They have detailed instructions too.

Thanks, I ordered the slave from the dealer and I'll probably upgrade the CMC. If I don't beat on the clutch too hard you think it's gonna break? Anyway it's winter and there's snow all over so I can't really drive it hard.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It will definitely break again. There was a recall for an upgraded CMC from the dealer. But people have still had issues with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, I ordered the slave from the dealer and I'll probably upgrade the CMC. If I don't beat on the clutch too hard you think it's gonna break? Anyway it's winter and there's snow all over so I can't really drive it hard.
Definitely upgrade the CMC. The stock one will break easily, especially with the added clamp pressure. I had my stock one bust open with fluid all over the place and couldn't depress the clutch anymore. And I was using the Comp Clutch Stage 2 and lite flywheel combo.

Even with the recall, they just put a metal piece around the plastic CMC. Upgrade the CMC to a fully metal version like the MAP, AMS, or Magnus and never have to deal with it ever again.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Definitely upgrade the CMC. The stock one will break easily, especially with the added clamp pressure. I had my stock one bust open with fluid all over the place and couldn't depress the clutch anymore. And I was using the Comp Clutch Stage 2 and lite flywheel combo.

Even with the recall, they just put a metal piece around the plastic CMC. Upgrade the CMC to a fully metal version like the MAP, AMS, or Magnus and never have to deal with it ever again.
The recall is not a piece of metal LOL. It's a different CMC all together.
The metal ring was an aftermarket component people could install on their early year CMC

Also, clamp pressure doesn't have much to do with the CMC bursting. It would be directly related to diaphragm release pressure, which is a product of the clutch design.
I run an ACT ME3-HDSS on my X with the "revised" stock 14/15 master. 40k miles and no issues, 80k total. I'm sure eventually it will break, it's plastic after all. But I have the MAP kit ready to go if that happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts