Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to turn on my car this morning & I had to hold on the ignition for 3-5 seconds... I've had the car for about 3 weeks. Is it most likely the crappy stock battery?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the same issue after dinner yesterday (bought it X-mas eve). Whenever I get my break-in oil changed, I'll have them check the battery.

·
Registered
456 Posts
check in the trunk to see if the battery is a panasonic. if it is, its a royal piece of shit, and you will be getting a free optima battery under warranty if it tests bad

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check in the trunk to see if the battery is a panasonic. if it is, its a royal piece of shit, and you will be getting a free optima battery under warranty if it tests bad
I live an hour away from the dealership... will it still test bad if I'm driving on it for an hour (so it has a chance to recharge.) Sorry... I don't know too much about the battery.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I live an hour away from the dealership... will it still test bad if I'm driving on it for an hour (so it has a chance to recharge.) Sorry... I don't know too much about the battery.
just take it to an autopart store they check them for free

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also had a couple of slow starts and my car is about 6 weeks old. The battery tested fine when I took it in recently but I hope it doesn't die on me during the winter.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
slow starts due to the car not igniting has nothing to do with the battery.

if your car is cranking or turning over slowly grrrr grrr grr gr then your battery or alternator may need to be checked.

I have had my car since 2008 and its had its fair share of slow starts.

There is a TSB out for the MFI relay, which has to do with starting etc... Fredbeansparts.com has them for 13 bucks i believe which should give you some piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I took my car to the dealership 4 times for this issue. Made friends with the tech over a cigarette and he told me honestly, it's the 4B11. It just does that. Some never do, some do it all the time. There is no known issue, bulletin, etc.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think this is actually a pretty common problem. It's happened to me a few times, once just a few weeks after I got the car.

I've had a few starts where it took a while for it to start. I had to give it some gas to start it one time. Some people had some success with swapping the fuel relay with the black one (do some searches). I don't think it's related to the battery. Next time try giving a little gas when you start it.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I have the same problem from time to time. I have the Panasonic battery but it supposedly tested out ok at the dealer so they didn't do anything for me.

Usually it will start on the second try, even if it feels a little weak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts