Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i get into my car after letting it sit for 3-4 hours and when go to turn it on the car cranks but does not turn over....radio works and all. 3-4 cranks before it turns over but feels like it gonna stall. I smell a little bit of gas also. This has happen twice to me. What can it be? Battery?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery could be gettin weak.. Still got the shitty panasonic? Might be time to get the Red Top Optima..
Yup, still has the panasonic...think its time to switch it out. Heard that battery during cold weather is really bad.

check fuel line?
No yet but will have to check that also.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Terminology: "Cranking" is the same as "Turning Over" and "Spinning".

Do you mean it cranks but does not start?

Verify battery voltage first (try a jumper battery) then fuel pressure next.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terminology: "Cranking" is the same as "Turning Over" and "Spinning".

Do you mean it cranks but does not start?

Verify battery voltage first (try a jumper battery) then fuel pressure next.
Yes it wont turn on. But after 3-4 trys it will

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I used to have this same issue until I got tuned. There was a flash for the evo at the dealer but some people have found replacing the battery helps.

You could try priming the fuel pump before starting, turn key without the clutch (you'll hear the pump) then push the clutch in while still holding the key in the crank position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check your spark plugs and make sure all you vacuum lines are connected. If you have a Cobb AP, you can check the battery voltage with that.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If your car is able to still start after cranking 4 times then your battery is not the problem. The drain from cranking over and over would kill the battery if it was bad. Are you running e85 by any chance?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No e85 just 93 octane. Fuel pump.primes and all but for some odd reason sometime it take 3-4 time to get it started...car has 13k on it. Mitsubishi realiablity i guess lol

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Fuel pump.primes and all but for some odd reason sometime it take 3-4 time to get it started...car has 13k on it. Mitsubishi realiablity i guess lol
I've got 20K miles and have never had to crank for more than 2 seconds ever to get the engine started.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could it be any if the relays? Im dealing wit hurricane sandy atm so.i cant go out and check my fuel lines lolw

·
Registered
342 Posts
Lots of possibilities as mentioned so far but unfortunately I had the same issue pretty much since week 1 of buying it off the lot with 7 miles. It seems to happen only when I move my car a short distance, turn it off for a short time, and then try and turn it back on. I've even been custom tuned and every now and then it still does it. I was tuned by COBB and they said it was because I had 1000cc injectors. But that cant be it since I had the problem in stock form also.
What year is your Evo? Mine is 2011.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of possibilities as mentioned so far but unfortunately I had the same issue pretty much since week 1 of buying it off the lot with 7 miles. It seems to happen only when I move my car a short distance, turn it off for a short time, and then try and turn it back on. I've even been custom tuned and every now and then it still does it. I was tuned by COBB and they said it was because I had 1000cc injectors. But that cant be it since I had the problem in stock form also.
What year is your Evo? Mine is 2011.
You nailed it on the head! Short distance and then short period inbetween when its off. My is a 2011 also.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You nailed it on the head! Short distance and then short period inbetween when its off. My is a 2011 also.

Damn, I wonder how many other people this is happening too? I have an MR and bought it the DFW area in Texas. Same for you? You have the smart key?
I hate looking like a fool driving a hoopty getting in my car and then it doesnt start. Im all like, "Its just cuz of the 1000cc injectors", even though I know its not, lol.
Problem for me is that I've moved to an island off of Portugal and there is NO ONE that could possibly know where to begin diagnosing. I have the only X on the island.
Have you talked to the dealership? Not that they are always the most knowledgeable. I'm going to friend request you so we can stay in touch. We need to make this thread bigger to see if there are more like this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts