Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No official weight numbers yet, but 3400 wouldn't surprise me. :-/

Power isn't a huge deal, as we can add that later. Really was hoping for 325 or better though.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
+ 1

I expected a clean break of 300... with all the advances in technology (YAW control, double clutch etc) you'd think they could break the 300 mark..

+1

they should have broken the 300 mark imean the eclipse 260 n/a and the evo being turbo and all plus all of this other new things being added should be complimented by good hp.i'm not comparing cars but the power is not to far from one another.

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+ 1

I expected a clean break of 300... with all the advances in technology (YAW control, double clutch etc) you'd think they could break the 300 mark..
Well, the yaw and such are just for traction and drivability.

However, there were advances in engine technology (variable valve timing, higher RPM, etc) that should have resulted in higher power output.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been dreaming about this car for years, but if they can't get a weight/power ratio closer to 10:1 I don't think I will get one. Less than 300 bhp in a world where entry level Lexi and Infinitis exceed 300, and I can buy a Dodge sedan with 425 bhp? 310 and I would bite but 295 or 299 is not gonna cut it for me. I generally keep my cars stock. Maybe if Vishnu can get a reliable 350bhp I might pull the trigger

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have been dreaming about this car for years, but if they can't get a weight/power ratio closer to 10:1 I don't think I will get one. Less than 300 bhp in a world where entry level Lexi and Infinitis exceed 300, and I can buy a Dodge sedan with 425 bhp? 310 and I would bite but 295 or 299 is not gonna cut it for me. I generally keep my cars stock. Maybe if Vishnu can get a reliable 350bhp I might pull the trigger
a dodge sedan you mean an srt-8 those things are far more expensive these are north of 40k.damn thats alot of cash.

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been dreaming about this car for years,
Ditto.

but if they can't get a weight/power ratio closer to 10:1 I don't think I will get one.
No? Even if it's mod friendly?

For me, stock power is important, but it's not a huge deal.

My current car came with a 20:1 lb:hp ratio. It now has an 8:1 or so. I can make a car fast, so I'm not overly concerned if it starts life as an 11:1 or so, as long as it's mod friendly.

Less than 300 bhp in a world where entry level Lexi and Infinitis exceed 300, and I can buy a Dodge sedan with 425 bhp?
I feel your pain, but you can't compare an evo with those cars. For starters, the evo will likely be faster than all of the cars listed above.

310 and I would bite but 295 or 299 is not gonna cut it for me.
So a measly 11hp is the difference between a no-go and a definite for you? Well over 11hp could be made up by an ECU flash alone.

I generally keep my cars stock. Maybe if Vishnu can get a reliable 350bhp I might pull the trigger
That's the spirit. Don't be afriad to do mild mods to a car. Going crazy with a car is one thing. But if you're bumping the power by ~20% or less, it's generally safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RE: the Dodge 425HP sedan - The Charger SRT-8 stickers for $38k, and it being a domestic, you can usually work a bit with the price.

The EVO is a lot faster in the twisties than an SRT-8, although on the highway it's going to take a back seat, stock for stock.

I got my ass handed to me by a pair of 50-trim equipped EVO IX's the other night on the freeway, and it's got me looking at the EVO X now. There aren't enough power mods that are safe and reliable for the SRT-8 right now, and damn I am really impressed with how those EVOs handle! I hope the EVO X is better than the EVO IX, but I hear all these rumbles about added weight and tons of new electronic doodads... if I can't get the EVO X up to 400AWHP reliably I may reconsider.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
Bigger car, more safety, etc (it's allowed to be sold in Canada this time eh?) has shot the weight up a lot (of course none of the numbers are official).

soon the only way to get a sub 3000 pound car will be to get a Lotus o_O

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my ass handed to me by a pair of 50-trim equipped EVO IX's the other night on the freeway, and it's got me looking at the EVO X now. There aren't enough power mods that are safe and reliable for the SRT-8 right now, and damn I am really impressed with how those EVOs handle!
I was never big into handling, and then I drove my current car and fell in love with handling. It's a must have.

I hope the EVO X is better than the EVO IX, but I hear all these rumbles about added weight and tons of new electronic doodads... if I can't get the EVO X up to 400AWHP reliably I may reconsider.
I have a feeling that 400awhp won't be out of the question.

Welcome to the forums. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was never big into handling, and then I drove my current car and fell in love with handling. It's a must have.

I have a feeling that 400awhp won't be out of the question.

Welcome to the forums. :)
Thanks, I already new the EVO was a great car, but after getting pulled the other night in my SRT-8 and watching that EVO vs. Lambo Top Gear video, it opened a whole new mindset for me.

Mostly it makes me want to beat them with what I've got, but it's also renewed my taste for boost, I had an SRT-4 before and I miss having boost to play with...

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boost is a wonderful thing. It's really easy to mod boosted cars for power.

That evo FQ420 video is classic. Proof enough that an evo is a poor man's supercar.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
Boost is a wonderful thing. It's really easy to mod boosted cars for power.

That evo FQ420 video is classic. Proof enough that an evo is a poor man's supercar.
thanks for the tip *runs outside and turns up my boost controller from 6psi to 13*

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
Do you even have your turbo hooked up?
yessir. I got the pipe welded wednesday, picked it up thursday before work, installed it starting at 9:30 on thursday, at 1am went for a drive :) back and better than ever

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.