Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What mods would I be able to install myself? I'm an engineer have a few years construction experience, have built my own computer and rc cars. Point being I'm hands on and not afraid of doing some work. However, I'm no car expert and would rather pay to have someone install whatever accessory then f*ck it up and pay to have it fixed. So far I'm thinking I could install:

-Intake
-MBC or EBC (not sure on EBC as I don't know how easy/hard it is to route wires through the firewall)

well thats about it. as far as having a shop install it would probably be:

-Boost gauge (and any other gauges. what other gauges do people think are a must have or "probably should" have?) (or can I do these myself?)
-exhaust
-FMIC (or can I do this?)
-intake piping (or can I do this?)

My goal with this car is to add on horespower but not excessivelly. Reliability is far more important to me then power as of right now. I'm thinking maybe another ~80 whp and I'd be happy. In other words, the mods listed above and a good tune and thats it.

Also, will I have to get a new clutch with these mods? I'm a newb so tell me if I'm forgetting/missing something. Any hidden costs...

EDIT
Will probably do suspension also at somepoint but for now I'm talking more power mods then suspension/brake mods

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think your very capable of doing all those Bolt ons. Your just going to have to do your research and sift through all the DIY threads here and over on Mnet. Your first time installing some of these mods will be miserable...always is. 2nd and 3rd time is usually a snap.

Toughest one on the list might be the boost gauge ie wiring and creative mounting.

Easiest will be intake...OR you can just go with a drop in since your power goal is not that high.

FMIC might take some time. Mainly taking shit off and out of the way.

EBC would bolt right in where the stock one goes. Cake.

Exaust is too easy. Unbolt the old anf Bolt in the new..and since all the bolts are new and not rusty it should be a smooth job

If you can tear apart a computer than this should childs play to you seriously. It's when you start getting 'inside' the motor that it get tricky.

·
Registered
566 Posts
On top of the list Moose has. Brake pads and rotors and lines should be an easy but a very meticulus job. when it comes time to it.

Most jobs on an engine are easy in idea the hard work comes from paying attention to details. Its the one job I will always use and follow every step in the instructions manual.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Boost gauge is something I'm looking forward to. I'm surprised to see that you think it will be hardest of those listed. I'm deathly afraid of the FMIC and piping. I've never had automotive experience, so I think I'm in the same boat as ddawg.

The firewall seems like a non-issue, someone posted a nice HowTo. Intake seems like something I could do. MBC as well.

On the other hand, Air/Fuel Gauge scares me, although I want to put one in. I most certainly don't have any welding experience, and even if I did, I don't have the equipment. Similarly with exhaust. It may be simple, but I'm not sure how! I mean, I don't have jacks, ramps, and barely have to tools needed to remove the existing stock exhaust. I'll need to make some friends, me thinks...

·
Registered
71 Posts
well I'm a news as well did the intake (cone), boost gauge (mechanical) and Perrin MBC all was a piece of cake thanks to all the awesome posts here and evo. Lovin my evo next will be the exhaust which looks to be cake as well.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the responses! I have no problem getting dirty, I just thought, like xPRimNT mentioned, that the exhaust had to be welded on. But if it's just a bolt on them I'm sure I could find some way to do it. I would just be parranoid of having the car fall on me and crushing me LOL.

Anyway, this was exactly what i was looking for. Just gives me a better idea of what I'm up against. thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I like the responses! I have no problem getting dirty, I just thought, like xPRimNT mentioned, that the exhaust had to be welded on. But if it's just a bolt on them I'm sure I could find some way to do it. I would just be parranoid of having the car fall on me and crushing me LOL.

Anyway, this was exactly what i was looking for. Just gives me a better idea of what I'm up against. thanks.

Well as long as you have no bolts left over afterwards then you didnt forget anything. lol

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm loving this thread! Thanks for posting this ddawg, im looking to do similiar mods to the evo somewhere down the road (as more options come in from vendors). Same goal too, a bit more HP, but realiability above all.

One thing to watch out for though is if you have the aero package. I have jack stands, ramps and floor jacks. NONE of which actually work for me given how low the front end on this car is with the aero package. It won't even go up the ramps.

- Any one have recommendations for ramps that would work with the aero package?

- Whats the recommended placement for the jack stands on the evo?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
One thing to watch out for though is if you have the aero package. I have jack stands, ramps and floor jacks. NONE of which actually work for me given how low the front end on this car is with the aero package. It won't even go up the ramps.

- Any one have recommendations for ramps that would work with the aero package?
I know some people with lowered cars will often times get some LARGE 2x10's or 2x12's to place on the ground in front of their car, drive the car onto the boards to help lift the car up enough to get a jack underneath.

Do it at your own risk though.

·
Registered
983 Posts
DaemonSadi

i <3 you

Seriously though, thanks for the link, i'm loving that setup. Do you have the 40" sport ramps or the longer set (race and race xt)? I like the 2 peice set but its a tad pricey if i can get away with the 40 inch sport ones.

Thanks!

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
did you get the "roll-ups" as well. And the "Chocks" to add safety. I'm looking at ~$530 for ramps + roll-ups plus 4 chocks. Ouch, but I like the concept.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
did you order them from that site or is there a better (read cheaper) place/way to get them.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Looking at the site again, the incline angle on the 56 and 67 inch ones is the same at 10.78 degrees. The "cheaper" sport ones have an approach angle of 16 degrees. Given DaemonSadi is saying that even with the 67 inch ones they just fit, seems like the only choices are the 56 and 67.

The key differences there is that the 67 inch ramps get the car up higher, and are wider than the 56's.

Now i just have to get used to the price :eek2:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ramps are expensive damn. What about going to 'Harbor Freight' and buying a floorjack and some jackstands? If you've never been to Harbor Freight it's great place to buy low priced tools. Yeah the quality isn't the best but for something you won't be using that much it's perfect.

For 75 bucks you can get a pretty darn good 1.5 ton floor jack. For another 75 you can buy 4 decent jack stands. I can't do tire/wheel changes, brake work or struts with ramps. AND with 'stands I can get the car up higher and I don't feel so trapped. Ramps would be handy for oil changes though I guess.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Im also debating doing self install with intake/exhaust etc once I buy my evo x....but im kinda nervous cause ive never odne it before. I think I might just pay to have it done and have it done right
it would be hard to mess up any of those, for the hands on type. These are bolt-on types. You unbolt old, bolt on new, and put new stuff right where the old stuff was.
If you order exhaust, get gaskets (extra if ur gonna have to swap back and forth to pass emissions). You'd be pretty safe as long as you don't open major components (engine, transmission, differential, transfer case)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.