Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cranks but doesn't turn over, let it crank for a few seconds then let it off so it doesn't flood, try again after removing the key and waiting a few seconds and it starts. Never cold and my battery is good (Optima yellow marine battery not Panasonic). Only happened a couple of times and drives 100% fine otherwise. FPR hose zipped already. Fuel relay going bad but in lean out mode? Going to check it this afternoon. Haven't done any diagnostics since it's only happened 2-3 times but after it happened again this morning I'm starting to wonder.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm in the same boat. It's happened a few times now. I don't have a new battery, but I'm leaning towards the relay going bad. I get a jumpy idle every now and then also. Either that, or it's something in the air around here!

Subscribed.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
spark plugs? Worn plugs can cause some hard starting issues sometimes. Have they been changed?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Cranks but doesn't turn over, let it crank for a few seconds then let it off so it doesn't flood, try again after removing the key and waiting a few seconds and it starts. Never cold and my battery is good (Optima yellow marine battery not Panasonic). Only happened a couple of times and drives 100% fine otherwise. FPR hose zipped already. Fuel relay going bad but in lean out mode? Going to check it this afternoon. Haven't done any diagnostics since it's only happened 2-3 times but after it happened again this morning I'm starting to wonder.

Normal behavior. When it doesn't fire up after the usual amount of time cranking, turn the key back off ("removing a key"??? FAST keys don't come out :)) and wait a second or two. Fire back up, get going. Trying longer doesn't help, it just heats up the starter and drains your special battery more.

I've had mine for over 3 1/2 years. At first I baffled over this oddity, but now I just chalk it up as an electronic gremlin.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Missed the mileage I guess, haha. But yeah, my car does that sometimes. I usually conclude that I let go of the ignition switch half a second too early. Usually starts right up on retry.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
You could always just work on tuning your cranking enrichment map on your ecu. I'm running a bigger fuel setup for my black setup on e85 and got it to crank as good as stock in the cold weather of Idaho.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My 2008 MR never had this issue, but in my 2010 GSR, sometimes I hear a few extra cranks before it turns over. I think it's just a gremlin

·
Registered
898 Posts
Missed the mileage I guess, haha. But yeah, my car does that sometimes. I usually conclude that I let go of the ignition switch half a second too early. Usually starts right up on retry.

Exactly what I've noticed, maybe not even as much as "half a second", sometimes it seems to be 0.1 seconds. (As a kid, I used to time response times on digital stop-watches out of boredom, so I have some sense of time for how fast under a second my reaction latency is, and dang that issue is super-sensitive to letting off early)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have this problem, well more of a have/had. It comes back every now and then.

Keep in mind, this will change depending on your modding.

Fuel pump (most likely over the injectors) - it can be too big, it might not be getting and giving enough supply.
Fuel injector
Spark Plugs (very possible, especially if you are bone stock and have no replaced them already)

but here is the most obvious reason why it is...

TUNE. If you are tuned, have your tuner reduce the cranking enrichment table a bit and it will be fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
2011 gsr have had this issue once or twice honestly think its a issue with the factory imobalizer lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have this issue as well in my GSR, I just usually hit the acceleration paddle as soon as it doesn' ignite properly and then it starts up properly. I was wondering about this issue, glad to know I'm not alone in this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My idle is fine. Are you around me slebo?

Irmerm i dont even have 4k miles so i doubt its the plugs.
I'm in Rockville. Not too far.

I always pull back after a few too many cranks and it starts right up on the 2nd try. Wondering about my plugs though (stock and still OE 2yrs old) and by FPR since I do get a weird idle on occasion.

I mentioned all of this at the dealership a few weeks ago when getting my TC replaced under warranty and they didn't say a thing about it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm in Rockville. Not too far.

I always pull back after a few too many cranks and it starts right up on the 2nd try. Wondering about my plugs though (stock and still OE 2yrs old) and by FPR since I do get a weird idle on occasion.

I mentioned all of this at the dealership a few weeks ago when getting my TC replaced under warranty and they didn't say a thing about it.
First times I noticed it I only had a couple thousand miles on it; it took me til about 15k miles to get the pattern figured out. I doubt it's plugs, I've got 68000 on mine and they're as good as ever (new ones ready to install, just haven't gotten around to it)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts