Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a really long night and as much as I would like to go into details on what happened, I'll have to save it for another post in this thread. I've been up for close to 24 hours.

I got out of work and went to pick up the wife, I was cruising down the highway and as I go from 4th to 5th, it would not take the gear. I put it in Neutral and try again and same thing. At this point, my tranny would not go into ANY gears and I coast to a stop on the shoulder of the highway to wait for a tow.

When the car is off, I am able to shift to all gears holding down the clutch pedal. Car turns on in neutral but I refuses to go into any gears. If I try to put it on 3rd, I hear a grinding sound. If I shut the car off, put it in 1st and turn the car on, the car stalls. Any ideas? Can it be a simple shifter cable that came off?

Thanks all. I'll go into further details once I get some zzz. Car is parked outside the dealer now.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Same thing happened to me bro. Coasting onto the highway onramp and 4th doesnt change to 5th. Turns out it was the little cotter pin that holds the shifter cable in place. Pop the hood open and check , im sure you'll find the shifter cable out of its position just hanging around. Your going to have to get a new cotter pin because those things are very elegant, they are usually never supposed to be re-used once they are removed. Get replacement cotter pins to make sure it doesnt happen again if you can.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing happened to me bro. Coasting onto the highway onramp and 4th doesnt change to 5th. Turns out it was the little cotter pin that holds the shifter cable in place. Pop the hood open and check , im sure you'll find the shifter cable out of its position just hanging around. Your going to have to get a new cotter pin because those things are very elegant, they are usually never supposed to be re-used once they are removed. Get replacement cotter pins to make sure it doesnt happen again if you can.

would you kindly elaborate on this? What exactly would I be looking at?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Its right on top of the granny. If u remove the intake it is much easier to see... you can look on the how to install under hood bushings and get the details...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked that and it's all good. The car is now at the dealer and they're going to look at it on Monday. The car has never been tuned or messed with and the only aftermarket part is a cat back exhaust. I DO have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel but this was installed at the mitsubishi dealership by one of their technicians at 6500~ miles. I now have 23000~ so I hope I do not get any feedback on that. Lucky for me, I still have the documentation.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I checked that and it's all good. The car is now at the dealer and they're going to look at it on Monday. The car has never been tuned or messed with and the only aftermarket part is a cat back exhaust. I DO have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel but this was installed at the mitsubishi dealership by one of their technicians at 6500~ miles. I now have 23000~ so I hope I do not get any feedback on that. Lucky for me, I still have the documentation.
Oh yea then you should be fine with warranty ... exhaust after cat is always okay with mitsubishi , so long as your service manager isnt a complete dickhead :) sorry i couldnt help you get your car back up and running quickly ... i really thought it would have been the cotter pins because that was exactly what happened to me :( sorry bud, keep us informed as to what mitsubishi says

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yea then you should be fine with warranty ... exhaust after cat is always okay with mitsubishi , so long as your service manager isnt a complete dickhead :) sorry i couldnt help you get your car back up and running quickly ... i really thought it would have been the cotter pins because that was exactly what happened to me :( sorry bud, keep us informed as to what mitsubishi says
I appreciate the help. Ill keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Its either on of the selector cables what the guys are talking about (this has happened to me also, the one closest to the bulk head) or it could be that the retaining clip thats inside the top of the gearbox holding the gear selector unit in place has broken. This has happened to me too, that would explain the grinding and the fact that you cant select the correct gear.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its either on of the selector cables what the guys are talking about (this has happened to me also, the one closest to the bulk head) or it could be that the retaining clip thats inside the top of the gearbox holding the gear selector unit in place has broken. This has happened to me too, that would explain the grinding and the fact that you cant select the correct gear.
Yeah, I am confident that it can be either or. I just wish they would friggin work on it already.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
C clip poped off the TOB in the transmission maybe? Usually takes a fast shift for that to happen. If it did it' cost a clutch job worth of labor to replace obviously. It could be that clip on top the trans that holds the shift cables as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
C clip poped off the TOB in the transmission maybe? Usually takes a fast shift for that to happen. If it did it' cost a clutch job worth of labor to replace obviously. It could be that clip on top the trans that holds the shift cables as well.
Let's see what happens. I haven't had a problem with the car since I purchased it 2 years ago. If it's that, then it sounds minor.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if it's the throw out bearing, i would not be able to shift at all correct? I am able to shift gears when the car is not turned on. The problem is when it's turned on.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If its the throw out bearing you could physically shift through the gears fine with the car off, its sounds like your clutch is not disengaging when you press the pedal. Probably the something with the clutch fork or throw out bearing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They called me back and the tech wants to drop the transmission. I don't understand why the transmission needs to be dropped if it's not a problem with the clutch. If it was a TOB, you could theoretically drive the damn thing still. It would just make a funny noise. It can't be the syncros because my shifter is not popping out of gears. I'm going to have a talk with them tomorrow morning and see if they looked at the obvious basics such as the shifter cable. I asked if they see evos there frequently and the answer was that it's very rare. I guess I can see why.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
They called me back and the tech wants to drop the transmission. I don't understand why the transmission needs to be dropped if it's not a problem with the clutch. If it was a TOB, you could theoretically drive the damn thing still. It would just make a funny noise. It can't be the syncros because my shifter is not popping out of gears. I'm going to have a talk with them tomorrow morning and see if they looked at the obvious basics such as the shifter cable. I asked if they see evos there frequently and the answer was that it's very rare. I guess I can see why.
Like I said if its the C clip or anything the trans has to come out and you pay that much labor. C-clips poping off TOBs is a common enough problem but again it happens when you shift quick. It is what it is.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I said if its the C clip or anything the trans has to come out and you pay that much labor. C-clips poping off TOBs is a common enough problem but again it happens when you shift quick. It is what it is.

Kinda BS. How is the C-Clip popping off not covered under warranty? I don't see how that can be maintenance related.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.