Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,920 Posts
The Crank Pulley will need special torqueing apparently; Tighten it down to 180ft/lb (seriously what Mitsi, someone’s having a laugh right??) Then undo it again. (This causes a Japanese technician to spontaneously burst in to laughter) Then do it up to 110ft/lb, then tighten it a further 60deg, you know one bolt corner to the next. Pray to whomever you like that you get this right or someone somewhere might actually divide by zero and a black hole will form and the Earth will be swallowed.
LOL. That is pretty hysterical man. By the way, great writeup, I'm sure it will help quite a few people over the next few years while we're all replacing our chains. This kind of brings up a concern of mine. Essentially, it appears that removing that fuse clears the ECU learned values. This is the same fuse that tuners often use to reset the learned values for Fuel Trims. This being the case, by dialing in a set of new injectors and removing the fuse, we are essentially screwing up this timing chain warning system! Damnit!

I wonder if just disconnecting the battery will not reset this learned value, because I do know it does reset the trims.

I know this was available somewhere else but, how many miles are on the car?

· Registered
5,920 Posts
38k miles
And it's not as bad as you think, the car will quite quickly realise that the chain is stretched again. It knows because the timing goes out of whack. Don;t worry about it, I had mine reset twice by a garage trying to tell me it was to see if the problem came back.
Did they clear the code or did they actually reset the learned values by pulling the fuse?

· Registered
5,920 Posts

· Registered
5,920 Posts
arrrgghhhh!

Resetting the ECU doesn't clear the timing chain learned value. Either that or I've stretched a new chain in less than a week - The symbol has just come up again. grrrr.

On with the search...
Thats what I was afraid of :( Go pull the ECU fuse and then put it back in. If you're facing the car from the front, it's the bottom fuze, second from the left. It should reset all your learned values. If you look at the fuse cover it has an engine icon for that fuse or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.