Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something went wrong with my ECU and even Cobb cant fix it. Well, it works fine on my Evo, the single problem is that it cant be tuned.

Im looking to buy another ECU, used one. I know that each ECU carries the car VIN and as far as I know this is the only thing that wouldn't allow the car to start.

Is there any other item that also wouldn't allow it to start?

How can the VIN number be reprogrammed? if, at all..

Regards,
Neto

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Tephra makes / sells a tool that will flash your current VIN to another ECU for this purpose. Email him and see what it takes.

tephra at gmail dot com

I believe that he makes it specifically for your car.

I would think a dealership can do it too. But good luck with them... lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Golden, will get in touch with him first, after then with you for an email tune!

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Please let us know if Tephra was able to provide a tool. That would be really valuable information for the rest of us as that's the first I've heard that he has actually made this possible!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, it's very possible. Done it many a time. Just make sure you use the applicable ECU as in dont use a 5 speed manual ECU if your car is an SST equipped car.

;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
^ that is good to know.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I had the same problem when I first tried to get my 2012 GSR tuned. Took mine to RRE and they had no problems. The first guy thought it was my ECU, but now I know it was just him. Currently running dual map 91/e85.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes, it's very possible. Done it many a time. Just make sure you use the applicable ECU as in dont use a 5 speed manual ECU if your car is an SST equipped car.

;)
It's at the dealership right now, apparently a MUT is needed to write a new VIN (re-writing a demo Ralliart ECU with my 2010 Ralliart VIN). Thanks.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
FWIW when my Ecu got fucked up flashing the STOCK tune back to it...

I got a brand new ecu under warranty.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
I am reviving this thread just in case anyone needs to know, you CAN use a GSR ECU in a MR and vice versa.

You just need to bench the rom on to the ECU had have it VIN coded after you bench the ECU.

Follow these steps to program the new VIN

1. Launch MUT3 program.
2. Select "System select".
3. Enter type/year of vehicle under vehicle selection.
4. Connect computer to VCI and to vehicle (blue cable), switch vehicle ignition on.
5. Select KOS/IMMO/Keyless; a new options list will appear.
6. Checked the appropriate options set "VF3 - IMMOBI & Keyless & TPMS".
7. Click Check mark icon on green toolbar at the bottom right
8. Select "Special function".
9. Choose "ENG Key Code &Chassis No/VIN Reg"
10. Click Check mark icon on green toolbar at the bottom right
11. Enter the chassis VIN you want to program the ECU to
12. Click Check mark icon on green toolbar at the bottom right

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am reviving this thread just in case anyone needs to know, you CAN use a GSR ECU in a MR and vice versa.

You just need to bench the rom on to the ECU had have it VIN coded after you bench the ECU.

Follow these steps to program the new VIN

1. Launch MUT3 program.
2. Select "System select".
3. Enter type/year of vehicle under vehicle selection.
4. Connect computer to VCI and to vehicle (blue cable), switch vehicle ignition on.
5. Select KOS/IMMO/Keyless; a new options list will appear.
6. Checked the appropriate options set "VF3 - IMMOBI & Keyless & TPMS".
7. Click Check mark icon on green toolbar at the bottom right
8. Select "Special function".
9. Choose "ENG Key Code &Chassis No/VIN Reg"
10. Click Check mark icon on green toolbar at the bottom right
11. Enter the chassis VIN you want to program the ECU to
12. Click Check mark icon on green toolbar at the bottom right
Thanks, that's good to know!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
i wonder if the MUT method actually programs the VIN properly, ie overwritting the original VIN, rather than just loading the current VIN...

hrmm. :)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
audit purposes? dunno

when you do the VIN check, does it say initial and current are both set?

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
audit purposes? dunno

when you do the VIN check, does it say initial and current are both set?
Yes. It says the old VIN, then the NEW VIN after you complete reprogramming, then I exit out to the main screen, turn the igntion off for 30 seconds, then go back in and check to make sure the new VIN is programmed in.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
By the way, the pass through CAN app can also do VIN coding.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yes. It says the old VIN, then the NEW VIN after you complete reprogramming, then I exit out to the main screen, turn the igntion off for 30 seconds, then go back in and check to make sure the new VIN is programmed in.
yer but there is actually 2 VIN's programmed in the ECU, the Initial and the current.. cant remember what screen shows it in the MUT3...

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
yer but there is actually 2 VIN's programmed in the ECU, the Initial and the current.. cant remember what screen shows it in the MUT3...
At least five different screens that I can think of. Iirc it shows original and Current.

Haven't needed to change any of those values but I would hazard to speculate that it will always keep the original VIN and then show the current one to match the current car it's installed/programmed to.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts