Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2015 Evo X GSR

Recently I have noticed that my clutch is slipping. It's noticeable especially in 3rd and 4th gear.

Its still on its original clutch. I do have a bit of mods and it's been dynoed around 320 WHP. We're thinking of transitioning to E85 and 400 HP.
Situation: right now it is my daily vehicle and it's at 60,0xx miles. To put E85 tune in my Evo isn't in the budget anytime soon.
So my question is, is it smart to go ahead and get a high performance clutch or just stay with OEM? Which clutches do you guys recommend bang per buck? Do I need to get the flywheel along with other clutch kits I see (some kits don't include the flywheel)? I hear about the pill and some run better with out?
Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For your goals, ACT ME3-HDSS. It will be an excellent daily, that can handle a good amount of abuse. Outside of dedicated hard driving (like constant drag/circuit/autox/HPDE) it should last a long time. Mine has, at higher power than you are at currently, and I'm only replacing the disc when I tear it apart this winter because my TOB is starting to get noisy. It has over 80k miles on it.

I'd personally stick to the OEM flywheel, if you can afford the downtime, send it out when its apart and have it resurfaced. If you cannot do that, buy one used, or new, and swap them when the time comes. Make sure to clean the threads on the flywheel bolts if you choose to reuse them, and use the appropriate medium strength loctite. The photos of the flywheel bolts all show "red" loctite on them, which traditionally meant "high strength/permanent" but its just the color of the OEM ThreeBond sealant they apply to the bolts. Most every single disc clutch will not come with a flywheel. The multi plate twin/triple disc will.

The "clutch pill" will be inside the slave cyl, where the hydraulic line attaches to it. You can remove it by taking the bleeder off the top, and removing the hose from the bottom. Then just use a nail or a thin screwdriver to push the pill and the spring out. I'd recommend you remove it if you have one on still on the car. It's purpose was to slip the clutch the right way at a launch. Unfortunately this slip also applies to every other gear change. So when shifting fast, you either have to wait for the clutch to fully engage on its own, or let it slip a little bit as you put the gas down.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else that you've asked, use an OEM TOB. The ACT clutch kits should all come with the "monoloc" collar that you might hear people talk about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ACT HDSS was great for me daily driving @ 550hp. if you plan on any more power than that I would go with the exedy twin disc.

i also removed the pill and installed an evo 9(i think) clutch master cylinder. The oem one is known to break with aftermarket clutches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts