Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Clutch is slipping looking for recommendations

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  veles 
#1 ·
Hello I have a 2015 Evo X GSR

Recently I have noticed that my clutch is slipping. It's noticeable especially in 3rd and 4th gear.

Its still on its original clutch. I do have a bit of mods and it's been dynoed around 320 WHP. We're thinking of transitioning to E85 and 400 HP.
Situation: right now it is my daily vehicle and it's at 60,0xx miles. To put E85 tune in my Evo isn't in the budget anytime soon.
So my question is, is it smart to go ahead and get a high performance clutch or just stay with OEM? Which clutches do you guys recommend bang per buck? Do I need to get the flywheel along with other clutch kits I see (some kits don't include the flywheel)? I hear about the pill and some run better with out?
Thank you for your input!

#3 · (Edited)
I have the same hp as you and am using the Competition Clutch Stage 2 – Street Series 2100 clutch (rated to 450tq) and their lightweight flywheel. I used a new OEM release bearing and the ACT Monoloc collar.

No issues at all. It's not noisy. It's very grabby at first but after break in it's fine. She pulls pretty hard for just 330hp/330tq :)

#4 ·
My recommendation would be a good single disk clutch kit I.e. ACT HDSS.

I could be a shitty manual driver but my oem clutch went at 50k kms with just basic bolt ons and tune (330 whp). I got an exedy twin disk thinking I'd be making more power down the road. That clutch only lasted 20k kms.

After that I went with MHI18k turbo upgrade and ACT HDSS and made 400 whp. It held up fine. Unfortunately the engine went kaput after 25k kms but the clutch was still going strong.

With all that said I think my super inclined sloped driveway is what's killing my clutches early. The single disks always lasted longer for me.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

#5 ·
What did you end up getting?

Half of the people here will tell you Exedy Stage 1/ACT HDSS, and the other half will immediately say Exedy Twin if you wake them up in the middle of the night :)

I have my own opinion, you can read my review of the OS Giken Grand Touring Single clutch on this forum. I put my money where my mouth is, too, as I just paid for a second unit to replace the one that failed after 8 years and 60K miles. If pedal pressure and streetability are important yo you, there isn't a better option. But it is expensive, ~$1800. Also the Grand Touring Single is technically not available anymore, but see my notes in the review about that. Their Twin STR clutch has very good reviews, though, even if you can't get the GT Single - and it costs about the same. It has unsprung disks so you will have a much more on-or-off engagement, but I talked to a guy who used to have one and he swears it's still very streetable. It also uses a "soft" cover vs the GT Single "hard", so the pedal pressure will be even lighter than the GT Single (which itself is lighter than stock).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.