Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I were trying to replace the clutch on my GSR, and think that we may have made a terrible mistake along the way. After removing everything we needed to underneath the car and also the axels etc. in order to gain access to the transfer case and transmission, we removed the bolts connecting the transfer case to the transmission.

Here’s where we made our huge mistake. Out of complete ignorance and stupidity we hammered the axel shaft in towards the transfer case thinking that it will help remove the transfer case.

Now, after struggling with it for a little while we decided to look online and found out that we were actually supposed to remove that shaft by using a slide hammer to pull the shaft out towards the driver side.

Again, we did the opposite. We hammered it in. And now it’s very stuck and we can’t seam to get it out with a slide hammer no matter how hard we try.

I have a few questions now. How badly did we mess this up? Is it possible that we impaled something with the shaft, inside the transmission? If so what is it that we impaled? Do anyone have any idea what we can try in order to get the shaft out? If not do you know anyone that may be able to help?
I hope that my explaination is clear. I will also be going to a Mitsubishi dealership and try to talk to a mechanic there in hopes of figuring out a possible solution.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you ever get this solved? My stomach would be in knots after that!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would definitely have the T-Case checked out after that, But, I would assume it doesn't want to come out because the shaft is in a bind on the bearing surfaces of the trans/FD that it passes through. If you take the time to carefully bolt the T-case back up to the transmission it will probably pop out. Mine took a few very persuasive knocks with the slide hammer to get it to go, but it came out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you ever get this solved? My stomach would be in knots after that!
Yes, I ended up needed a new T-case. set me back 1100 bucks. But the car drove like a dream for another 60k miles. I did the clutch swap around 25k miles and sold the car with almost 90k miles on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts