Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Well, story goes like this. Bought a brand new clutch kit from a person claiming to have the kit but never used it. It looked like a clutch kit, so I just went with it.

2 years later my clutch finally goes and I got it replaced in a shop. Good shop, they did tremendous job and it all is good.

Then I take it for a drive and the car much smoother and noticeably softer clutch pedal. I thought that it may be due to new clutch or something along those lines.

Then when on power and turbo spools, the clutch slips. My fear is the clutch kit is not from an Evo, but from a lancer and that explains softer springs(smoother engagement) and softer pressure plate - less clamping force, slipping under heavy acceleration.

Could that be the case? Could OEM lancer clutch kit fit an Evo? Do you nkow part numbers for both that I can compare them?

Pls help. This sucks.

Update, upon further research, this is OEM clutch for Lancers:
Part number for OEM clutch for lancers is MBK1011
Part for Evo is MBK1009

They are different diameter and have different number of splines. So wrong clutch is ruled out. What else could it be?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was the flywheel resurfaced. If not that would cause slipping. Since i cant drive your car my guess its a junk clone stock clutch type. A quality clutch and pressure plate is a expensive investment.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was Excedy clutch. Flywheel, pressure plate, TOB ad disk are all brand new. Also shop didn't notice any fitment issues or anything.

After a bit more research here is what I am concluding so far:

1. New clutch requires 500 miles of gentle city driving to be fully broken in and seated. On cars with a lot of TQ slippage can occur early on. I am at 80 miles so far. I did WOT it a couple times and let off as soon as I noticed slippage.

2. Softer pedal is often result of clean, greased, brand new TOB. Old one get's more and more stiff over time.

3. There is no way a non Evo clutch could be installed.

So my suspicion is I just need to let it break in and make sure not to glaze it until it's fully broken in and mated to the flywheel.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, from my research so far, clutch needs a break in period and you shouldn't put any decent torque on it until it is broken in for at least 500 miles. I had no idea - I never changed a clutch in cars - always sold before that. And brand new Evo, I though 500 miles is for the engine, which turns out it is more so for the clutch.

So, will drive it gently and report back when done with the 500 miles mark.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, they require a break in period. This is to bed in the clutch and disc surfaces to each other.

Normal city driving, and don't beat the shit out of it. If you have the clutch pill, take that out.

If you nuke the clutch, drive the car to me and I'll swap it LOL

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, by the time I make it to you(40 hr drive) my break in period will be done :)

I took the car to the most congested part of the city yesterday and drove it for a good 3 hours. The clutch feels much nicer and stronger now. On to continue like this for a few days, then will test full power again. My Stock OEM clutch that was when I bought car new lasted until 113k miles. Hope this one lasts longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts