Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a message on June 23th 2016 that my car is ready to be picked up. When I arrived there, it stood directly in front of me and I couldn’t stop grinning like a little boy. :D

It’s a 2011 Evo X MR with almost 53k km with the following mods (original parts were handed as well):

Exterior
  • dark LED taillights "L-Style"
  • tinted rear windows
  • Torque Solutions short antenna
  • cleaned rear with back up camera
  • front & rear fenders pulled & rolled, front wheel arch liners trimmed

Interior
  • updated MMCS
  • Takata Race 4 Snap harness (FIA until 2018)

Suspension
- KW V3 coilovers

Brakes
  • Carbonetic SCR-PRO 2-pieces front slotted discs, 350mm x 32mm
  • Carbonetic R-Spec pads
  • Goodridge SS lines

Wheels
  • Rays Gram Lights 57C6 18x9.5” ET25 in Velvet Marine with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 265/35 R18
  • OEM GSR Enkei 18x8.5“ ET38 with Pirelli Sottozero 245/40 R18

Engine
  • J-Spec Performance Power Kit V2 (400PS/570Nm)
  • AMS intake Ø76mm in wrinkle black with K&N conic air filter
  • AMS intercooler
  • AMS upper intercooler pipe in wrinkle black
  • SSP SST front mount transmission cooler kit

Exhaust
- Tanabe Concept G Blue catback

Original Parts

The reason why I chose the Evo X MR with SST is because of daily drivability (it’s much more convenient to drive if you got stuck in a traffic jam :p). The Evo 6 TME is still my dream car but too sporty for a daily. At this time I could only afford one car because of available space. This is the reason why I had a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart sedan. It’s a great daily with enough power and has lot of space with the folding backseats. After the crash, I didn’t want another Ralliart because it will never be the same as I once had. I invested way too much money in that car with big mods. So it has to be something better from the start. So the Evo X MR comes into play and I was willing to sacrifice the trunk space. If I need to transport something large, I will just ask to borrow my parent’s car. Ok, enough philosophized, now back to actual thread. :whistle:

When I sat in my new Evo X, I had a special feeling. Firstly, it was my overwhelming joy to finally own an Evo to fulfill my childhood dream. :giggle: Then again, the interior is almost identically to my Ralliart that was crashed (I had a brief flashback). :confused: After turning on the ignition and hearing the sound of the engine, the feeling of happiness suppressed the bad memory. :D It was just heavenly to listen to the whooshing sound of the cold air intake. :love: As expected there was a big traffic jam on the motorway on the way back home. I couldn’t resist playing with the gas pedal just to listen to the intake sound. :LOL: Surely the other driver must have thought what a stu**d driver that was who accelerates quickly and brakes hard all the time. :ROFLMAO:

Back home, I had to make a brief joy ride with my brother to boast him my new Evo. I wanted to test the suspension and exhaust on a spirited driving through the backroads. :cool: I can just tell that the Tanabe exhaust sounds really nice and I liked it. Especially the pop and bangs after shifting which is like my shout of joy. :LOL:(y) I wasn’t so happy with the suspension. This road where I often do my spirited driving has some bumpy sectors and the Evo was set a bit too low. So the wheels sometimes come in contact with the fender. :cautious: A new alignment needs to be done. Otherwise the Evo felt similar to my Ralliart. No wonder because of what I had changed at my Ralliart and how much money I had spent. :whistle:

But the best is that I now own an Evo and the sound it emits is just music to my ears. :love::LOL:(y)

Back home, I checked the rear fenders and I just noticed that I ripped the inner wheel arch liner. Aaaarghhh, just on the first day I broke something on my new car. :mad: Well this needs to be fixed.

The next morning, I drove with lot of noise to work which lifted the day. :cool::LOL:After work I drove with less noise to keep everything under the radar. :p Afterwards, I did another spirited driving with my brother with his WRX. Here are some pictures of our cars. :cool:(y)

Here are some pics of engine bay and Takata harness.

Well, the second day after owning this Evo has come to an end and I still cannot believe that I finally own one. It’s a great car and just a lot of fun to drive. :D

Sorry about the many emoticons but I couldn’t express my joy better. :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mod Update 1 – The Spirit of Competition (26.06.2016)

When I was at the Nürburgring Nordschleife with my Ralliart for the first time, I felt a spirit of competition and this was the opening of my racing era. This is the reason why there is the sticker on the hood. :cool:(y)Because of this incident, my Ralliart was put to a stop.

Even though it’s the final end of this car, the spirit of competition still remains here and has been transferred with a new color onto my new Evo X. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going out for a drive (26.06.2016)

I couldn’t hold any longer and had to drive the Evo again. So I did another spirited driving with my brother. :LOL: Here are some pictures along the way. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st Carwash escalated (18.07.2016)

On this beautiful day after fortnight vacation I did the carwash for the first time. :cool:(y)

After I washed the exterior it was time to clean the interior. When I removed the trunk carpet, the trunk floor was too dirty for my taste. So I decided on impulse to remove all the trunk trims to be able to clean everything. :p

I even went as far as removing the backseat to be able to clean there as well. :LOL:

Then I fell for the race car look and wanted to gut the whole interior, install cage, bucket seat with harness and other performance parts so that I could race on every racetrack in Europe. That’s what the Evo are for. ;)

OK, back to reality. If I have more time, I would gut the whole interior to clean everything. I just like doing stuff like this and it’s also interesting for me to see what’s underneath the interior trims. :)

Here is a short overview what I’ve planned to do with my Evo:

Stage 0: Keep it as it is now shown in the pictures.

Stage 1: Remove unnecessary stuff (weight reduction) and if needed for trip or the like, just add backseat.

Stage 2: If I got another car as daily (maybe Ralliart Sportback), then the Evo will be gutted with cage etc. fitted. Then it will be 2-seater permanently.

Stage 3: Performance & Power parts to withstand the track abuse and will be my ultimate tracktool, but it still needs to be road legal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check Underside (26.07.2016)

After I’ve removed the trunk liners and the backseat a question came up in my mind how the underside would look like. :unsure:

So I went to my father’s workplace because they have a lift in the washing room to be able to check it out. First, I admired the Tanabe exhaust and was happy that it was still in good condition. (y)

OK, I could polish it to enhance its look but I don’t ever plan to use my Evo as a show car. For now it would suffice for my purpose and I kept it in back of my head that I would polish the muffler only if I have time.

Now back to the core of this topic: to check out the underside!

Unfortunately, the frame rail of this lift is way too big to be able to see the whole underside so that I couldn’t take reasonable pictures. That’s why I show this only good one.

For me it’s in a very good condition even though this Evo had been used in winter too and I was very happy with the purchase. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tanabe sound check

Here I made a short video clip of the Tanabe catback on startup, holding at 3k rpm and to redline.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st trip on Swiss mountains (30.07.2016)

With the Evo X I did something what I’ve never done before with the Ralliart. :D

On this day I did a trip on Swiss mountains for the first time. With the Ralliart, I mostly went to racetracks and now it’s the opposite with the Evo. :LOL:

We went with 3 cars: Evo X (me & my fiancée), Subaru WRX (my brother & his friend) and Subaru BRZ (my brother other friend). This time I put the silencer to keep the noise level to a minimum because I wasn’t sure how the situation would be there (it’s only road legal for the Tanabe with the silencers). In Swiss, they are too sensitive about the noise and at worst they could impound my car just because of that. I know it’s pretty over the top but I guess it’s famous for Swiss to have way too high penance compared to Germany. :poop:

After a long drive on the motorway with my brother we met his friends at the train station in Alpnachstad. Here is the first picture of my clean Evo (I just washed it yesterday). :cool:(y)

Afterwards, we went to the gas station OWI-Land in Giswil to refill our fuel tanks. ;)

Then we drove together through the Brünigpass and here is already the first disappointment. :( I couldn’t do a spirited driving there because of too much traffic. In walking pace we chugged along the little road until we turned to Sustenpass. There was much better to drive without any obstacles. Unfortunately, I had fun for a very short time. I was in the last row, my brother in the middle and his friend in front of him. In front of his friend has to be a newbie driver who slowed us down way too much. :rolleyes: I was pretty annoyed that I couldn’t drive the Evo as it was meant to do and cursed at this newbie. Why of all places he had to be in front of us. I came from a long way to this place for a nice spirited driving. I couldn’t overtake 4 of them because of constant oncoming traffic so I tried to remain calm and just enjoyed the scenery because it was really breathtaking. There were snow-covered mountains under the clear sky. :love:(y)

After a short while I had enough and saw a gap, so I overtook my brother and that was it. We just drove slowly uphill to the top of Sustenpass and there we parked our cars to enjoy the view.

Afterwards we drove downhill and there were no hindrance which was great for me, but it’s not so fun driving downhill compared to driving uphill. So I mostly rolled down and then we were on the way to the Gotthardpass. When we arrived there to have lunch I couldn’t find a good parking spot so there is an unspectacular picture.

From Gotthardpass, we continue our tour and the Nufenenpass was the next one. Finally, we were alone so we could do a spirited driving. :cool:(y) I was very happy to be able to drive fast around the bends. The intake noise was just lovely and I still could hear some pop and bangs from the exhaust, even though I installed the silencer. My fiancée could only smirk because I acted like a little boy. :LOL: Somewhere along the way we had to stop for a little break because her stomach couldn’t handle my driving. So we used this opportunity to take some pictures.

When she felt better we continued our drive upwards to the top of Nufenenpass. We took a longer break to enjoy the view. Unfortunately big clouds came up and there were a soft drizzle. That’s why I took out the window vents.

Afterwards we drove towards Grimselpass, our final one for the day. When arriving there we had a little photo shooting with our cars. :D

Then we went to the Grimselsee and admired the dam. After that we all drove back to the gas station OWI-Land in Giswil to refill again. We bid farewell and drove our way back home. At home I could clean my rims from heavy brake dust. :whistle:

Conclusion:
The mountain tour was a special event for me and I had lot of fun if the road was empty. It’s a great feeling to do spirited driving with lot of bends and beautiful scenery. :cool:(y) Even though I prefer tracks like Spa-Francorchamps or Nürburgring Nordschleife because there I could drive as fast I want without worrying about overstepping the speed limit and risk heavy tickets. At racetracks I could feel the compression or g-force. :love: At the mountain roads I had to be cautious of oncoming traffic, mostly biker who sometimes comes in my way around corners. :oops: There will be much more mountain tours in the future because Switzerland offers a lot of these. :)(y)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1st trip on Swiss mountains (30.07.2016) - addendum

I received Gopro pictures and videoclips of the tour from my brother’s friend and wanted to show you too. Because my brothers WRX has sunroof it was possible to make much cooler shots than with mine that was attached to the windscreen. If I hadn’t been so far away there would be much better view of the backside of my Evo. :p

Maybe I could create same perspective if I remove the headliner. I need to test it out. :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sustenpass (01.08.2016)

Two days after the tour I went with my fiancée to the Aareschlucht in Meiringen with a stop at the Lake Lungern. We both have day off and she has never been there before, that’s why I surprised her there because I wanted to make her happy (and I for myself as well at a later time). :whistle: At the viewpoint to the Lake Lungern, I wanted to take a picture of my Evo for the calendar. You have to be very lucky to catch a perfect timing with no one around. I didn’t have this luck, because there was a coach full of Chinese people that were roaming all over the place. I waited patiently so that I could take a nice picture but failed. :rolleyes: That’s why there’s only this one picture. Maybe I’ll have better luck next time.

After that we drove towards Aareschlucht and also took some pictures along the way like this one below.

When we had our nice stay there it was finally my turn. I wanted to drive the Sustenpass again hoping that there will be much less traffic as last time we went there with friends. This is the sole reason why we went to this place. :LOL:

First I took this starting picture,

then it was time for a spirited driving uphill because the road was empty. Switched to the S-Sport mode, checked the GoPro if everything works fine and checked the road again. Then I blasted away and it was really great and fun to drive. I wanted to go from the bottom to the top in one swoop. :cool: After a short while I had to abort the drive because my fiancée was ranting. Turned to the next stopi asked her what was wrong and she replied that she’s feeling upset and needed a break. I was speechless and was scratching my head how come she had a problem with spirited driving around the bends. :unsure: She was in almost every track, even at the Nordschleife, with me as co-driver and never had a problem. While she was calming down I took some pictures of my Evo.

Afterwards, I just drove gently for her and she explained to me that she couldn’t handle the rapid change of directions around the bends, the Nordschleife was her limit. Alright, next time I better go alone. There, we took many stops to enjoy the scenery and I also took some pictures. (y)

At the top of Sustenpass, we took a longer break and walked around this place. Of course the obligatory Evo-shot shouldn’t be missed. :p

Then we drove downhill on the other side back home and also took one last picture.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Short Trip (07.08.2016)

On this day I did another short trip around my area and took some pictures. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reisbrennen at Lausitzring (12.08. & 13.08.2016)

It won’t be a long report with lot of pictures and videos even though it’s a big event. Too many things happened which prevents me enjoying this program.

On Friday I drove with my fiancée and my brother in the early morning from Swiss to Dresden Germany because the fiancée’s sister lives there. On the German motorway I could test the top speed of my Evo. At the speedometer I drove 270km/h and the Evo felt more planted compared to the Ralliart (with the Ralliart I could only max at 250km/h because it got regulated due to small weak brakes). My fiancée didn’t notice that I drove this fast and my brother was sleeping in the backseat. :LOL:

On the way I met a blue Evo 6. Finally, I saw another Evo on the German motorway. (y) Apart from that I only saw the general German automotive like BMW, Audi, Mercedes and VW… :sleep:

Arrived in Dresden, my fiancée wasn’t feeling well and so she stayed with her sister and I continued with my brother to the Lausitzring racetrack. On Google Maps it should only take us 45min to get there, but in the Middle of the City of Dresden, there was a big accident and I got stuck in traffic jam. :((n) After a long waiting time the accident got cleared and we could finally continue.

When arriving there, there was no free parking slot for my Evo with other Evos and I had to park it somewhere else. :confused:

I wanted to sign up for the free ride around Lausitzring. But it was already fully booked and I was pissed because I drove 760 km to get there for nothing. :mad: Whatever, so I could only sign up for the guided ride in the early morning. I have enough track experience and didn’t need any guidance but at least I could drive on the Lausitzring.

Here’s a little excerpt of this conversation:
Me: Hello, I want to sign up for the free ride.
Her: I’m sorry it’s already fully booked.
Me: What a bummer. Then for the guided ride.
Her: OK, it’s only possible between 8:00 and 8:30 am.
Me: At 8:30 am (because I had to drive from Dresden).
Her: Which car?
Me: Evo X.
Her: What? Evo X? How much HP it got?
Me: 400 HP, why?
Her: Oh, this car is too strong for this group. Wouldn’t it be better for this group at 8:15 am because there are some quick cars.
Me: OK, whatever.

I was smiling a little because of her reaction but at the same time I was worried if I’ll even have fun there. :unsure:

After the registration I went to the grandstand to follow the drag race. Everyone could apply there to race their own car. For me it wasn’t anything interesting and it was also funny to watch them from afar how slowly they drive through the strip. :p The only highlight at the drag strip was the battle between an orange Skyline and a white Evo 3 with lot of HP. Compared to regular cars, they drove almost 3 times the speed and it was fun to watch. :cool:(y)

After that I had to go back to Dresden already.

On the next day, I woke up at 6am and tried to wake up my fiancée and my brother (they both are late riser and had to nag :rolleyes:). I wanted to be there on time because I need to prepare the GoPro and other stuff. When arriving there, both were still sleeping while I was preparing for the guided ride. When everything was ready I sent both to the grandstand so that they could record me there. Then I drove into the pit waiting for our turn. I asked them what the rule are and if it’s possible to overtake anyone because I have enough track experience and know what to do. They didn’t allow me because at the guided ride, everyone has to stay in their own line. Meh, this sounds too boring for me then I offer them that I would start in the last row and let them advance beforehand so that I could have the whole track by myself. They even declined my offer because rule is rule. :((n) They could only offer me to start directly behind the leader (KTM X-Bow) because he will drive fast. OK, well I’ll see then. :rolleyes:

When it was our turn, I was a little excited because it will be the first time for my Evo to be on the track. I was curious about the difference between Evo X and Ralliart. Just after starting from the pit stop I was already very disappointed. I was expecting the leader to drive fast but he was way too slow for my taste and I got stuck directly behind him. I couldn’t even use the full power of my Evo. There was no fun for me at all and even on the long straight I only use half throttle. I tried to push the leader to make him drive faster which he partially did. At the near end of our session the leader had to slow down a lot so that the other driver could join us again which was a total failed event for me. :cautious:(n)

Here is a video of oh so fast lap around Lausitzring:

At the grandstand you could see how far the other fell behind just between the first and the second lap.

Because I couldn’t use the full potential of my Evo, I couldn’t put a comparison with the Ralliart. The only thing I noticed that the back seems to be a bit unstable under hard braking.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with the Overlay with the Harry Laptimer because the timeline of the Laptimer and GoPro wasn’t the same. That’s why there’s only this simple video. From the app, it said that the average speed around the track was 100km/h and the top speed was 170km/h.

After the disappointing ride, I applied myself for the drift taxi because I’ve never been in a drift car before and wanted to experience it. After the registration I went back to my car to sell a part to someone and after that we walked around the area to check out other cars. Back to the drift arena, there was already a very long waiting line. Just great, I had to wait for a very long time until it was my turn. It was nice watching the cool drift cars and this one put up a nice show.

After 2 hours of waiting under strong sun, it was finally my turn.

It was a very cool experience and it was very interesting to watch him how he tackle his drift car. Unfortunately, it was over quickly and I had to leave the car. Then I noticed that I got too much sun and wasn’t feeling well.

After that we went to the grandstand again to watch the high-speed drift competition. After a couple run we went in the shadow to eat our lunch. Then we went back to the grandstand to watch the time attack masters. My fiancée and my brother already fell asleep because they were exhausted and I tried to enjoy it under heavy headache.

After a short while I had enough and just wanted to go back home. I took some quick pictures and we hit the road.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KW V3 Coilovers with new alignment & Advan RSII testfit (31.08.2016)

When I bought the Evo it was set as the lowest allowed position which looks nice but I had problem with rubbing and grinding when I do spirited driving. This got me fed up and I wanted to change the suspension settings to avoid damaging the wheel arch more as it is. Before I handed in my car, I went to my dad’s workplace to check out the suspension and take pics for the first time. I didn’t bother cleaning it because first I had no time for that and it will be dirty quick soon.

When I had my car at the lift I used this opportunity to install the Advan Racing RSII (9.0x18” +35) set I had from the Ralliart to check out how it looks at the Evo. If it had the right offset for the Evo, it would look dope. I was planning to sell it anyways.

Considering how wide the Evo is compared to the Ralliart, to be able to fit those set on Ralliart the fenders had to be rolled and pulled.

After I got my Evo back from the alignment, I drove back home and tested it on my backroads and I was happy with it. Only at extreme situation it still rubs a bit but that’s fine.

At the front axle the ride height was raised 1cm and here is the setting:
front camber: -2°10’
rear camber: -2°45’

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cleaning & Joyride (03.09.2016)

This weekend I wanted to clean my Evo from hard removing dirt and flash rust with cleaning clay. At some area, it went well and at some I had to rub for many minutes until it’s gone. Unfortunately, I cannot erase any stone chips or scratch with the cleaning clay. :whistle:

Here’s a picture of the side skirt (left side is already cleaned with clay and the right side is still with flash rust).

Here’s the result of the whole car cleaned with just a handful of clay. It was a tiresome effort but well worth it. :cool:(y)

In the afternoon, my best friend visited me and we both went for a joy ride. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carwash (28.09.2016)

After 3 weeks it was time to wash the car again. It’s amazing how quick the Evo gets dirty. :whistle:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Preparation for Nürburgring – misc. Stickers (06.10.2016)

My friends wanted to go to the Nürburgring again to be able to drive the VLN-Variant (Nordschleife & Sprint) on Sunday 9th. The day before (Saturday 8th), there’s the 250-Mile-VLN-Race. The mechanic, who takes care of my Evo takes part in this race too and drives for 2 teams. We got tickets with access to the pit stop which was really nice so that we would be able to follow the race closer than any other spectators. :D(y)

Even though, I’ll decide there if I’m ready to drive on the Nordschleife again after the heavy crash with the Ralliart.

On Thursday evening I just put some stickers on my Evo. It was just a spontaneous decision to raise the notoriety at the Nordschleife which will be removed afterwards. :ROFLMAO:

The Ralliart sticker I put it on as homage to my ex-car. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nürburgring Pt.1 – 250 Mile VLN-Race (08.10.2016)

Woke up at 4am in the morning and later meeting with other friends at the rest stop on the motorway, we drove together to the Nürburgring. We arrived there on time and we parked our cars on the parking lot across the Hotel Lindt. We then went to the pit stop to meet the mechanics and we wished him best for the race. He drives with his Honda Civic TCR (Garage Schmid, pic below) and with Opel Astra OPC (Lubner Motorsport). :cool:(y)

It was time for the starting grid and we walked along the start/finish line. It was a special and interesting experience. :D

Afterwards, we went to the grandstand at the NGK-Chicane and we watched the first part of the race with French fries and curry sausages. It was nice listening to the sounds of the race cars blasting through there.

It was really cold outside and we didn’t put on enough clothes. Before going there we checked the weather forecast and it said that it will be 16°C but in reality it was just 6°C. :eek: We were freezing, and the weather was really special... that’s why it’s called the Eiffel Weather.

After a while, we wanted to go to another grandstand to watch the race from a different angle. So we went to the AMG tower at the start/finish line.

Luckily the sun came up and it was warm again. :)

Then we strolled along the paddock to follow the behind the scenes and we noticed some interesting things that I won’t show you everything (in this thread it’s about my Evo and not an in depth reportage of the VLN Race). :p

Lastly, we went to the BMW M Power Grandstand and watched the race.

Some friends were too exhausted and they wanted to go back to the hotel to get some rest. They had a wedding party last night and went to bed at 1 am. I was cold too and also had enough watching the race outside. So we all drove back to the Hotel Dorint which is situated at the start/finish line as well where I still could watch the race from the room.

After the race, the Nordschleife was open for Touristenfahrten and we wanted to drive there too. But we arrived there nearly at the end, because some friend overslept. When we got there, it was nearly empty and it was perfect for me because I’ll be “alone” on the track and so I could drive a bit cautiously to get myself comfortable. After taking a quick group picture with our cars, we went to the ticket office.

Just before entering it, an announcement stated that the Nordschleife is prematurely closed due to the heavy accident. :rolleyes: Sh*t happened. So we went to the restaurant to have dinner. Back to the hotel, I enjoyed a hot bath and went to bed early so that I’ll be fit for the Touristenfahrten or Terroristenfahren tomorrow. :LOL:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nürburgring Pt.2 – Touristenfahrten VLN (09.10.2016)

On this morning I woke up well rested and was very glad that I didn’t catch a cold yesterday. After we quickly packed everything in the car, we went to have a breakfast together. During the breakfast the first driver already drove through the start/finish line because it was already open for the Touristenfahrten. It was very interesting to watch other cars while having breakfast. :LOL:

Afterwards, we were at the entry and just before we wanted to drive it was closed due to a big crash. It’s the same every time! :rolleyes:(n) Luckily, we got a good parking spot close to the Devil’s Diner and we just had to wait until it reopens. I saw the mechanic’s car (Honda Civic Type-R) by chance and went to him. I told him that I want him to drive my Evo so that I could watch and learn how my Evo gets driven by a racing driver. He once used his Evo for the VLN-Race in the past before selling it and buying the Civic TCR so that he could have better chance in this class. After his Lap, I would then drive my Evo with him as co-driver and instructor. This will be a very cool and interesting experience for me and I was already looking forward to it. :cool:(y) But, first I will drive together with my friends like a group drive because firstly my brother has got his driving license for a month and didn’t want to risk it too much. Secondly because of my heavy crash with the Ralliart and it was my responsibility (for my mother) that nothing will happen to my younger brother. I’ll be the lead car for him so that he could tag along in a safely manner. Thirdly, my friend with the black BMW just wanted to cruise because he had engine failure with his VW Polo the last time and didn’t want it to experience again.

We discussed and agreed on the order of our cars and that we will stay in position so that we could all cruise together.

Here is our grid:
1. Friend A with red VW Golf
2. Friend B with black BMW
3. Me and my fiancée with white Evo
4. My brother with silver WRX
5. Friend C with yellow Seat (he had to be the last so that his diesel car won’t soot our cars) :p

Almost every car is equipped with GoPro to record our group driving. I installed my GoPro at my brothers WRX in the same fashion as he did with his friend at the mountain tour so that there’ll be cool view of my Evo. I misused him as my camera car. :ROFLMAO:

After a while, there was the announcement that the track is open now. As soon as the announcement finished, we heard an orgy of engine startups. We stayed there for a few minutes to let most cars drive away so that we would have more room for ourselves. But there was a constant metal avalanche of cars and we just drove with the stream because we were afraid that the track will close soon because of another crash. It’s quite common.

Unfortunately we couldn’t manage to stay together in the group and it was quite dangerous with this much traffic. Friend A drove away because Friend B drove too slowly and I got stuck behind him which was ideal for my brother. For my fiancée it was a very pleasuring drive and I tried so hard to remain calm because it was unacceptable for me to creep at 80km/h at the Nordschleife. At the sharp corner after the start/finish line the friend C had enough, broke our order and overtook us. There I also had enough of tiresome slow drive and overtook friend B.

At the Mercedes-Arena I thought to myself: Hey, I’ve got an Evo so I should drive appropriately! So I put my foot to the metal while cornering and the Evo came alive and nearly kicked my ass which I had to counter it. My fiancée didn’t find it funny and ranted. Ok ok, I’ll behave myself and drive gently behind friend C because I promised her to drive slow and careful. My friend B recorded this short story with his GoPro. :LOL:

Soon, my brother managed to overtake Friend B and stayed behind me. Just after entering back to the Nordschleife, my brother suddenly fell back and drove much slower than he did at the Sprint section. I think he was not really comfortable driving at the Nordschleife and I had to reduce my speed a lot more keep him behind me, even though I drove undeserving for my Evo. Friend C with his yellow Seat was already gone and it was really difficult for me to control myself because I felt like strolling along a traffic jam instead of blasting through the Nordschleife. On the other hand it was also very dangerous for me to drive this slowly. What if someone couldn’t see us on time in a blind bend and crashes behind us? :confused: I tried many times to drive faster to signal him that he should hurry as well, but he was so stubborn and kept on driving too slowly. As result I sometimes had to brake a lot so that he could catch up. I’ve never experienced such so slow drive and I even was busier talking with my fiancée instead of concentrating on the Nordschleife. I have never even used the indicator this many times to let other know that they could overtake me safely and I also stopped counting how many cars have overtaken us. :whistle: After we finally done the lap after an eternity and parked our cars, I forbid my brother to drive again. The only plus is that there was nice recording of my car in action but I won’t upload it because it’s just boring to watch. OK, end of this slow chapter!

Soon, I just wanted to do the second lap to let off my steam. I just wanted to drive fast and aggressively. Just to feel my Evo as it’s meant to be driven hard. My fiancée was again my passenger because she was afraid that something terrible would happen if I drive alone as it happened with the Ralliart. I learned my lesson and won’t drive too aggressively. Just drive fast but keep it steady. On many sections I drove slower on purpose and also brake much more than I usually do. At some sections I still drove too fast for her taste and she often reminded me to slow down. At some positions, something felt wrong with my Evo. For example at the high speed passage before Schwedenkreuz the Evo rattled heavily and I also felt strong knock. I wasn’t comfortable and was afraid as well. After the Adenauer Forst I left the track to check on the Evo what was wrong with it. That’s why there’s only a recording up to this point.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find anything unusual and what causes the problem and I just drove slowly to finish this lap. Fortunately, the Nordschleife was also closed due to another heavy crash and I was the last one driving the track. I took my time and we enjoyed the scenery at slow speed. I also noticed many new things I’ve never seen before because I was always busy driving and concentrating on the track. It was quite an interesting and new experience which was worth in a way. :D(y)

At the exit, there was a traffic jam and so I used this opportunity to take pictures of my car.

My friends and my brother were also relieved to see me that I was fine.

I had to refill the gas tank and then parked the Evo at the parking field. Later I met the mechanic and told him about the problem with my Evo and I wanted him to drive it so he may find out what the issue was.
Then I drove from the parking field to the parking lot close to the entry so that the mechanic could check it. At this time the track was open again and of course there was a traffic jam again. At the roundabout, in the middle of traffic jam someone hit behind me. WTF??? How in earth could someone even possibly hit me in the middle of traffic jam??? :mad::mad::mad: This Ass**** was an old Italian dude with a sh*t beater (some Dacia :poop:) and I signalized him to follow me so that we could check the damage. I was extremely pissed.

On this picture, he was behind me (not recognizable). The mechanic also saw it and wanted to check my rear. And this fu**er just kept on driving as if nothing has happened. If I ever see him again, only god knows what I would have done with him. :mad:

Besides that, luckily we didn’t see any visible damage and I popped the hood so that the mechanic could check it what causes the knock and rattles. It seems that the cold air intake was a crowd puller because some asked me if it’s street legal in Switzerland. Yes, it is! :LOL: The mechanic didn’t find anything and so he took the wheel and I was his passenger. I was curious how he would drive the Evo and if everything is fine with my car. I was also really excited and was ready for my lesson. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nürburgring Pt.2 – Touristenfahrten VLN (09.10.2016) - Continuation

This time I tried to make a different kind of recording.

It’s not quite perfect, but it’s still interesting to see how a racing driver handles the car and drives his line and how he overtook others. I for myself wouldn’t dare to overtake like he did because I’ll never know how others drive and if they ever see us and was always afraid that there may be contact collisions which happen quite often at the Touristenfahrten.

Here are some action shots and there you can see how low the Evo actually is. :cool:

His feedback: the front brakes (Carbonetic SCR-PRO brake disc with R-Spec pads) felt quite interesting for him because the hard rattles comes from it. He needs to check it at his workshop. Besides that, everything was fine with my Evo so I was relieved. Because of accidents and yellow flag, the brakes overheated and at the exit, it even smoked.

We then drove around the village to let the brake cool down. Unfortunately, he couldn’t be my instructor for the next lap because he had to go back home. After a couple hours, when the track was open again, I went on a final lap with my brother as passenger to put down my learning experience from the racing driver. It was also a special lap. Just at the beginning a white Evo 6 crashed that made me sad to see. :( Just in this lap alone I saw 6 crashes ranged from simple fender bender to totaled car. :confused: By the way I couldn’t record my final lap until end because the GoPro memory stick was already full (forgot to empty it at the hotel last night).

After the lap, we all went to the gas station in Kelberg to refill our fuel and then we drove together back home. :)

My feedback about my Evo compared to the Ralliart
Even though my Evo was equipped with street tires I felt that the Evo was more planted compared to the Ralliart equipped with AD08R. I guess it’s because of the tire width of 265 to 235 which made the difference, as well with the AYC pump. At some section I noticed that the Evo could handle the corner faster and easier. For me, the Evo was a much better upgrade than the Ralliart, even though the Ralliart was heavily modded. I was glad that I have a better base car and was looking forward to further improvements with mods. By lap times, I think that since the crash I wasn’t even that slow even though I brake more often and longer than I did with the Ralliart. This means, that I could have driven it much faster. But this time I want to make little step and try one at a time until I can use its full potential. After the last lap, my brother only told me this: I thought you wanted to go easy with the Evo? I just replied: Yes, I did and I brake a lot too and was slower than I used to be. :LOL:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nürburgring - Addendum (10.10.2016)

I mentioned last time that the brakes overheated. There you can see how the brake caliper looks afterwards. Even the front left wheel cap is gone and on the right side it sits loosely. I should have removed these before tracking my Evo. :rolleyes: The rear ones seem to be holding fine and look good too. At the front right wheel, the tires got lot of slits from the carousel even though the fender has been rolled and pulled. The connection between fender and front bumper was trimmed as well. This means that the Evo is too low for the Nordschleife or the suspension should be stiffened up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New Brakes (28.10.2016)

When I gave my Evo to the mechanic for checkup, he found out that the brake rotor has reached the minimum thickness. This was the reason why it rattled hard sometimes. Because I’ll track again at the Hockenheimring on October 30th I wanted to replace it to avoid unnecessary risk. So I got new Project Mu SCR-PRO brake rotors with R-Spec pads.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts