Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've ran into this problem twice now. i've left the AP in the car while i go out to grab lunch or something. come back 30 min later and inside of car is pretty warm...about 90deg F. 1st time, when i try to plug in the AP, half the screen comes on while the lower half is all garbled. i waited 10 min for the cabin to cool down and it worked.

this second time, the screen didn't even come on. i waited 10min and it still didn't come on. gonna bring it inside and wait a few hours before i try again. i kept the unit inside my armrest, not in direct sunlight.

does this happen to anyone else? i have the newer version for my 08 MR with the all black cable. wanna make sure it's a documented problem before i contact cobb.

·
Registered
78 Posts
All car electronics with a screen DVDs. gps, etc, came with a warning on the books:
Do not expose the screen directly to the sun for a long period of time!
You are good with your 90 degrees; here in Miami my thermometer is marking 112 degrees inside my evo at the parking lot.
If I left a cd inside my OEM unit it won't come out when i press eject (I suspect that is because the cd is melted and change it's shape or the plastic mechanism expanded under the sun,
I always have to wait to cool down the car to the 90's degrees to eject it.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
[email protected] said that putting the AP in the Freezer made it work better. So I'm guessing that something in them over heats and doesn't work. I'd let it cool off and make sure it still works. If it still has this problem, definitely contact Cobb.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My Tactrix is still working, heat or not. Oops, wrong thread!
lol

Haven't had any issues with mine when I am out and about. You could always do like what I did (Golden was the inventor) and use one of those cell phone holders that snap into your vent. Then you slap the AP in there and use your AC to keep it cool

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, it happened to me a few times when I left it in the armrest during work on hot days. Nothing on screen...no power..no nothing. So, I just re-mounted it, rolled the windows down and went driving. Hooked it back up after it had some air and no problem. Now, the AP comes into work with me because I'm sure the heat will ruin it.

·
Vendor
919 Posts
Extreme heat can cause the LCD to cease working. This isn't so much a limitation of the AccessPORT as it is the LCD screen... A quick internet search has a bit about this as it relates to calculator screens:

Because LCD fluid must be easily excited by the spark of a printed circuit board, it is designed to quickly react to high temperatures. Just as the high temperature of the circuit spark causes the fluid to expand and interact with the reactive coating, high ambient temperatures also cause the fluid to expand and react. A calculator left in direct sunlight (where it absorbs ultraviolet radiation) or in a hot car (where the intense heat excites the LCD fluid) will likely display a black screen; this display is a result of the hot, excited LCD fluid expanding and interacting with the reactive coating across the entire display.

I will research this more with our engineers and see if there is a better solution than, don't get it hot... However, if you were to leave your laptop in a hot car that would not be conducive to computer longevity either...

Travis
COBB Tuning

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Extreme heat can cause the LCD to cease working. This isn't so much a limitation of the AccessPORT as it is the LCD screen... A quick internet search has a bit about this as it relates to calculator screens:

Because LCD fluid must be easily excited by the spark of a printed circuit board, it is designed to quickly react to high temperatures. Just as the high temperature of the circuit spark causes the fluid to expand and interact with the reactive coating, high ambient temperatures also cause the fluid to expand and react. A calculator left in direct sunlight (where it absorbs ultraviolet radiation) or in a hot car (where the intense heat excites the LCD fluid) will likely display a black screen; this display is a result of the hot, excited LCD fluid expanding and interacting with the reactive coating across the entire display.

I will research this more with our engineers and see if there is a better solution than, don't get it hot... However, if you were to leave your laptop in a hot car that would not be conducive to computer longevity either...

Travis
COBB Tuning
Interesting

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
My EvoScan Navigator with it's touch screen has never had issues. And it is mounted on my windshield in full view of the sun. It easily hits temps over 120 while sitting in the car. It always starts right up.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
My EvoScan Navigator with it's touch screen has never had issues. And it is mounted on my windshield in full view of the sun. It easily hits temps over 120 while sitting in the car. It always starts right up.
Question: can you log afr's via the lc1 on evoscan?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
yea my AP does it to, I just take it out of the car or just throw it in the freezer for a few mins. Works fine

·
Vendor
919 Posts
Everyone,

We have been working through an issue of screen failures in a recent batch of AccessPORTs. There is a component that was found that could be out of tolerance and cause the screen to fail. We have since identified the source of the problem and have resolved it in the manufacturing process. Should your screen fail, we will repair your AccessPORT for you ASAP. Just call our Customer Service line at 801-713-0035 and we will take care of you.

This heat related issue is something new and we are currently investigating the cause. AccessPORTs should not be malfunctioning in 130F temperatures. We are still trying to gather information on this issue, so even if you have found a work-around by cooling the unit off, PLEASE send us an email at [email protected] to let us know you've had this issue and some of the circumstances that let to the malfunction.

Once we figure out the cause we'll get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Thank you!

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts