Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm using map AP Stage 2+ CHFF 91 LWG v403
Description: Stage2+CHFF 91 LWG - Intended for an otherwise stock Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR with a COBB turbo-back exhaust system, a stock boost control solenoid, and a stock intake system with COBB high flow filter (panel filter). 91 octane fuel minimum. Boost Targets: ~23.5 psi peak tapering down to ~17 psi by the 7700 RPM redline, +/- 1.5psi.

My Mods (current mod list was updated in post 7):
MAP Cast manifold (OEM style manifold, not tubular)
ETS Recirculated DP
ETS Test Pipe
HKS dual exhaust
K&N panel filter (factory air box)
Depo Racing UICP
93 Octane for safety and testing on a 91 octane map
Comp Clutch Stage 2 clutch, pressure plate and lightweight steel flywheel

When I go WOT you can see the boost spikes to well over 23.5 PSI. There is no knock but I didn't want to give it a full run without finding if this was a normal spike and way too long overboosting. Should I be testing the wastegate or checking the vacuum lines? I've checked a vacuum diagram several times and everything looks correct (I just swapped the engine so everything was disconnected). While searching, I've read this might be normal on a cold day? It was about 42 degrees today.

My datalog is below. I let off as soon as I saw 29 PSI and went to a higher gear to test and saw the same thing.
Font Material property Parallel Pattern Screenshot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think the tune would make it overboost this much over target? Not a mechanical issue?

Any recommendations on a safer map that I can run for the winter? I'm not looking for HP, I'd rather go back to a stock downpipe and oem catted pipe then go with a custom tune. I already have a heavily modified weekend car and wanted this car leaning more towards the as stock as possible but the car came with the downpipe and test pipe.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You think the tune would make it overboost this much over target? Not a mechanical issue?

Any recommendations on a safer map that I can run for the winter? I'm not looking for HP, I'd rather go back to a stock downpipe and oem catted pipe then go with a custom tune. I already have a heavily modified weekend car and wanted this car leaning more towards the as stock as possible but the car came with the downpipe and test pipe.
if it did come with a down pipe and test pipe the COBB OTS map is not made for those mods. check this link below

#4 · Feb 25, 2015

I was running stage 3 with the required mods and running a test pipe,
I can tell you that OTS maps are not the way to go.
When I got a pro tune I was hitting 30 psi of boost with there OTS map, NOT GOOD! thank goodness I got the pro tune when I did.
Becareful with there OTS maps, they aren't made for other brands parts as white snuggie said.
its said running a test pipe with their OTS maps cause overboost, so I could've been a victim of that. so becareful!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting so the overboost issue isn't so much the downpipe as the test pipe? I knew stage 2 was for a turbo back exhaust but assumed that was with a test pipe (not knowing it was Cobb's hfc).

My car is way too loud right now anyways so I was looking into swapping my test pipe with a resonated test pipe but if putting high flow cat in for my test pipe as an option that would get me closer in line with an ots map I'd definitely consider that. Either way I couldn't get it pro tuned as is because my exhaust is obnoxiously loud and the decel shakes the walls of any house near by and feels like sitting in a car with a sub blasting an 80 Hz sound bite. So I need to do something about the exhaust first.

Reactions: bmxhotsauce

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've demodded the car. It is now:
Panel filter
TurboXS HFC
MAP Investment cast manifold (this is the only thing not on the stage 2 list, it is a log manifold, not tubular. I will swap it to OEM if I have to. I don't want more power out of it, just durability from cracking).

I removed the ETS test pipe and swapped the ETS downpipe back to the OEM o2 housing and downpipe.

What is normal for 3rd gear? For instance, 4th gear stopped at 23.x psi perfectly. 3rd gear bounced to 26.9 psi (35 degrees outside). I'm going to get a log later this week and have an afr gauge on the way. This was only for driving it for 10 minutes after resetting the tune and I've heard the first drive may act differently then expected. I'm going to see what happens next time I drive it but was wondering, is it normal for 3rd gear to go over because of rev speed? I know it is hard to say without a log but just looking for thoughts on whether I'm on the right track or if the log manifold will have to come out.

I'm on a 91 octane map while driving on 93 gas, no knock reported on the AP screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, hopefully final datalog. It is 35 degrees out and snowing so I expected a little over boost after resetting the ECU and immediately taking it for a drive but here are the results.

I've demodded the car. It is now just:
K&N Panel filter
TurboXS High Flow Cat (same cell count as cobb)
Cat back exhaust

I removed:
ETS test pipe to a HFC
ETS downpipe back to the OEM o2 housing and downpipe
Removed removed MAP cast exhaust manifold and went back to OEM.

I'm on a 91 octane map while driving on 93 gas, this is the only datalog that showed any knock so I decided to post that one. It went up to 26 psi for only 400 rpms. The only way I could get the boost to spike higher is by starting the pull in a much higher RPM but it would come back down relatively quickly.

Is this an acceptable datalog? The car is so close to stock at this point and it is going to be 60 degrees in a few days to test again.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,318 Posts
Holy hell I've been away for a while, and had no idea people still used Cobb.

You're leaving a lot of power on the table with that OTS map. Get pro-tuned ASAP. Do you have an aftermarket blow-off valve?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is an OEM bypass valve, it came with an aftermarket BOV but I removed and sold it. Not interest in more power, as you can tell from the posts, I'm removing mods and bringing it closer to stock rather than trying to make more power. Probably not a popular route but I already have a heavily modified single turbo bmw 335i. Just trying to make this as reliable and safe as possible.

It was warmer today and 2nd gear stopped perfectly at 23.5 psi. 3rd gear went a bit higher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts