Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on the cobb tuning website!
EVO X - Prototyping

Posted by Trey on 27 Jan 2008 | Tagged as: Products
Work continues on our EVO X. While the software guys are busy hacking away at the ECU, our hardware engineers and fabricators have been busy designing some great new parts.
First up is a rapid prototype of part of our SF Intake. As with our other intakes, it’ll incorporate a velocity stack and a lot of effort to promote a smooth, laminar air flow across the MAF sensor. The advantage of having our own in-house Rapid Prototype printer is that we can design many concepts in CAD and test them on the dyno and on the road before going into production. The ensures we are releasing a product we know that WORKS, rather than just one that fits and looks cool. In addition to this, we’ll be working on the rest of the intake system such as the ducting that leads to the turbo and the all important heat shield/air box so the engine is getting a constant supply of cool, fresh air.

Also on the intake side of things, Josh whipped up these fantastic hard pipes for the intercooler and bypass valve. It’s not easily seen in these pictures, but he went to a great amount of effort to maintain symmetry so the pipes follow the same lines as the factory underhood covers, etc. A lot of attention to detail features unnoticed by most but important nonetheless.

We’ll post more pictures soon. In addition to these parts we are working on:
  • AccessPORT
  • Turboback Exhaust
  • Sports Springs
  • Sway Bars
  • Short Throw Shifter
  • and more to be announced shortly.

· Registered
949 Posts
Very cool stuff! However, I think I am going to wait awhile before slapping parts onto my car this time. I made this mistake with the Evo VIII when it first came out. I was so excited about any new part and just threw it on the car. May as well have just thrown my money out the window. I really think its best to let these parts mature, and development occur for at least 2 years before even considering what to buy for the car. Let everyone else beta test for awhile.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Very cool stuff! However, I think I am going to wait awhile before slapping parts onto my car this time. I made this mistake with the Evo VIII when it first came out. I was so excited about any new part and just threw it on the car. May as well have just thrown my money out the window. I really think its best to let these parts mature, and development occur for at least 2 years before even considering what to buy for the car. Let everyone else beta test for awhile.
Im with you on that one. Someone will always come out with a better/cheaper product. Im keeping it stock for while.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree dino, at least on the fact that intakes and exhausts don't really change and improve that much over the years. Tuning software will improve, or at least the selection will. Once the ecu is hacked and all the parameters of the ecu are controllable/adjustable, there's not really much room for improvement, but more companies will come out with their own version that will increase the selection that the consumer has to choose from. Personally, I can't wait for cobb to come out with the access port for the x. I think that cobb has one of the best reflash programs out there, along with ecu tec of course. I have a cobb access port on my sti and I have had incredible results with it. It gives you control over every parameter of the ecu, and still retains the learning functions and all the stock safety features. Standalones are pointless, I think. I've heard people say that you can max out the stock ecu and have to go with a standalone, but I think that's bullshit. Plus, a lot of standalones run static timing and don't have the learning functions and safety features of the stock ecu. Anyway, back to the topic at hand. To pdx, I wouldn't worry about having to wait for a long period of time for the evo x parts to become better developed. Cobb always does things right from the get go, with proper R&D done before anything is made, so I would definitely trust them with your money. I do.

· Registered
949 Posts
Its not so much the improvement of the products, as the cost. Being cutting edge means bleeding from the wallet. Of course, I recognize the hippocracy of this statement since I just purchased a brand new Wicked White Evo X ;) But the products do get cheaper over time, and it gives everyone time to get the proper fitment done for the final build. I learned this the hard way with the Evo VIII.

As far as ECU software goes, I wouldnt buy any of the ECUTek flash stuff or any other manufacturers software when you can get it free with OpenECU. OpenECU single handedly redefined the Evo VIII and IX tuning by putting the power in the hands of the user. It also allowed the tuners to provide map adjustments and modifications easily so the user could flash their own ECU. Not to mention you didnt need all that additional equipment in your car to do the flashes. They are already hard at work on the next version of OpenECU. They also dont do that terrible duty of locking people out of their own ECU, which is total BS imho. You bought a map for your car, so you own it.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The access port doesn't lock you out of your ecu, and you can load new maps via the obd II port on the car. Any dyno tuner with the access port software can put a custum tune on the car if you don't want an off the shelf map from cobb. Also, open ecu doesn't have the ability to change parameters and run the car to see how it reacts without reflashing the ecu EVERY TIME A CHANGE IS MADE. The access port, on the other hand, can do this. And since the ecu has a limited number of times it can be reflashed, this is a great benefit to tuners. Access port all the way, man.

· Registered
10,012 Posts
Do we have a number on how many times the X's ECU can be reflashed? (If there is a limit?)

· Registered
10,012 Posts
bump

· Registered
949 Posts
Its a flash based technology, so it will have a MTBF (mean time before failure), but current flash technologies have this somewhere in the 80k to 100k writes. I am sure we wont have to worry about it. Ever heard of a VIII or IX ECU that just quit working because of this? I am asking btw, not saying it hasnt happened.

· Registered
19 Posts
Okay, Cobb gang; time to get cracking on finishing the Evo X Access Port. The 2008 STI program is out already, and I'm nearing the end of my break in period and itching for more power. Where is the love for the Evo X guys?!

Also, if you guys are listening, Christian and Josh, since the new Evo now has cruise control, would it be possible to utilize the cruise control stock to toggle between programs in a realtime fashion, without having to wait for a 5 or 6 minute download?

I had this on a 1.8T VW. Check out Audi Performance Racing (goapr.com). I could toggle between any 3 programs by holding in the button on the cruise: 93 Octane specific; valet mode; anti-theft; etc. You could tell which program you were grabbing by how many times the CEL flashed. You could then lock it into this mode and then only be able to access the switching mode again by entering an access code sequence using the cruise. It was really cool. Just throwing the idea out there.

· Registered
10,012 Posts
Dino, did Cobb reply to your email?

· Registered
567 Posts
Bump for more Cobb updates...I too am holding out for an Accessport. I love switching maps on the fly + my tuner is a frickin' genius with road tuning using Cobb AP'. I can't wait to have him tune my car with some new go fast mods. I know this motor is gonna' run sweet and strong + maybe some better MPG on top of another 100 ponies would be nice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.