Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. What methods do all of you track guys set up your coilovers? Do you measure the spring pre-load? How do you set up equal ride height?

I am running BC BR Coilovers on stock wheels with 25mm spacers. I measure the spring preload, which is 7 3/4" on both the fronts, and the shock tube goes 1 1/4" below the mount on both. The rear has 8 5/8" spring preload on both with the shock tube bottomed out in the rear mounts.

Im not sure if the coilovers just need to settle, but my right front and rear left are higher than the left front and right rear by between a 1/4" and 1/2".

What preloads/ride height do you guys run? What do you do if some wheels are lower than others?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would not worry so much about ride height. You should be more concerned with corner weights and what your cross weight is.

If you set the ride height buy counting threads and are sure they are the same I can promise you that the ride height will not be what you think it will be. This is because the weights at each corner of the car are different. So each spring will have a different load and thus compress differently.

If you want to do it right get on some scales and have the car corner balanced.

If you don't have scales, use a tape measure from the fender lip to the centerline of the wheel if possible. Other wise make sure you are on a level surface and measure from the lip to the ground. After you make an adjustment to the ride height roll the car forward and back to the same spot.. Do this with each corner.. This will get you close. You will need an alignment after doing this as your camber and toe will change.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not worry so much about ride height. You should be more concerned with corner weights and what your cross weight is.

If you set the ride height buy counting threads and are sure they are the same I can promise you that the ride height will not be what you think it will be. This is because the weights at each corner of the car are different. So each spring will have a different load and thus compress differently.

If you don't have scales, use a tape measure from the fender lip to the centerline of the wheel if possible. Other wise make sure you are on a level surface and measure from the lip to the ground. After you make an adjustment to the ride height roll the car forward and back to the same spot.. Do this with each corner.. This will get you close. You will need an alignment after doing this as your camber and toe will change.
should i keep my spring pre-load where it is?

·
Registered
5,768 Posts

Using a tape measure from fender lip to centerline of wheel is still susceptible to differences due to uneven ground. Uneven ground is going to throw this whole thing off just a little bit regardless if you measure from wheel centerline to fender or ground to fender.

Is it pretty much only gonna be race prep shops that will have some scales for proper corner balancing?

Oh and if you do get a corner balance, try to get them to throw 150-200 lbs worth of weight in the passenger seat for ya, or let you sit in it while they corner balance.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm not going to spend $500 on a corner balance when I only autocross right now, and all the good shops are 60 miles away in denver.

I guess I will just find the flattest asphalt I can and adjust my coilovers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Using a tape measure from fender lip to centerline of wheel is still susceptible to differences due to uneven ground. Uneven ground is going to throw this whole thing off just a little bit regardless if you measure from wheel centerline to fender or ground to fender.

Is it pretty much only gonna be race prep shops that will have some scales for proper corner balancing?

Oh and if you do get a corner balance, try to get them to throw 150-200 lbs worth of weight in the passenger seat for ya, or let you sit in it while they corner balance.
This is true. But you can get pretty close. But none the less not perfect. Corner balance is the only real way to go.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I paid $400 to have my car aligned and corner balanced at a race shop.

In the end, it costed me much more because the shop owner let me borrow his miata while he worked on the car. I had never driven a convertible before. I loved the experience of driving a convertible so much, a few months later I bought a porsche spyder....

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Question for you guys, I have my pre-load set high in the front, and when I go into a driveway or something like that, I hear it "top out". How bad is/can this be?

Thanks.
Jack up your car and see if there's play in the springs. Mine do this because i dropped it so low, i had to buy longer springs.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Jack up your car and see if there's play in the springs. Mine do this because i dropped it so low, i had to buy longer springs.
No, there is no play. The springs are very tight. That's why they push the shock all the way to the top.

I would hate to loosen the front spring pre-loads because it handles so nicely. But if its bad for the shocks, then of course I will loosen up the springs.

What is rake?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
What did you end up going with on this setup Chet? I have to adjust mine before getting my alignment after all the work I just had done. My passenger side is down about 1/2-1" lower than the driver side due to all the left corners so I need to square it up. The height I like is ~25.5" from fender to ground. I am thinking of setting them all to 25" even. As you said however, my rear currently is ~1/4-1/2" higher than the front, which I am thinking making them even. Then once it is all square I will get a corner balance. Did you finally set yours even or did you leave a little more height in the front than the rear?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts