Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for thoughts and opions on the vast amounts of coilover options out there. looking for a great street setup thats capable for weekend time attacks, say $2300 cap price. i dont care about how low it can go or how sexy it looks. im looking for function and reliability. any setups you may personaly be running pro/cons with your personal setup.

i copied this from the spring and coilover sticky at the top of this forum probably looking for something along these lines?

BC Racing .................... 6.0-10.0 kg* ... 6.0-10.0 kg* .. Multi-way / Single dual ............ Adjustable .................... $1000

BC Racing Inverted ....... 6.0-10.0 kg* .... 6.0-10.0 kg* .. Multi-way / Single dual ........... Adjustable .................... $1200

K-Sport Kontrol Pro ......... 9.0 kg ............ 7.0 kg ........ 36-way / Single dual ................... Adjustable ..................... $850

K-Sport Version RR ......... 9.0 kg* ........... 7.0 kg* ...... 36-way / Single dual ................... Adjustable .................... $1200

K-Sport GT Pro ............... 9.0 kg ............ 7.0 kg ........ 36-way / Single dual ................... Adjustable .................... $1300

JIC FLT-TAR Soft ............ 10.0 kg ............ 8.0 kg ......... 15-way / Single dual ...... 0.5"-> 2.5" / 0.5"-> 2.5".......... $1850

HKS Hipermax III ............ 7.0 kg ............. 5.0 kg ......... 30-way / Single dual ................ Adjustable ................... $1800

Eibach Multi-Pro R1 .......... 8.0 kg ............. 6.0 kg ....... Multi-way / Single dual ... 0.8"-> 2.0" / 0.8"-> 2.0" ......... $1700

and thoughts on these?

AST 5200 series ............ 7.0-14.0 kg* ... 9.0-16.0 kg* .... Multi-way / Dual ................... Adjustable .................... $4100

the only other one i have contemplated, but didnt see listed were the ones dsgperformance offer, the stance xr? i dont know the specs of those but ill keep digging.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'd suggest contacting Andrew at GTWorx - either on this forum or on EvoM - and getting his opinion. After 5 years on EvoM, much of the time spent of the suspension forum, he's the only individual familiar enough with a variety of components who won't bullshit you. Just looking at the choices above, half come with the wrong spring rates for the car. There's a bit more to this. Seeing how you want to drive, you really need to talk to someone who understands suspensions. If you just wanted a look it wouldn't really matter what you chose. Good luck.

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
Guys do your self a favor, and do not buy coils under 1800.
That price range is the exceptable entry level coilovers price range.
The stock set up is not bad at all, and if you put some well thought springs on them performance wise you will be matched with the lower level ones. Most people doesn't realize how capable is the stock car.

Rob

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
At $2300, you should be looking at AST 4100s or Robi KW. The ast will be better on the track, the Robispec KWs will be better on the street. Pick which is more important to you. Anything cheaper than those is crap.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Ohlins are over a grand above his stated budget. And I would argue that ast 5200's are better than those anyway ;-)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
robi kw or ast 4100 are absolutely within the realm of 'doing it right'

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
robi kw or ast 4100 are absolutely within the realm of 'doing it right'
KW's are quality, but they are NOT user friendly at all IMHO. I just sold the set on my GT-R and upgraded to something much, much better. Nearly the same price as KW V3's.

Unless you set them one time, there a PITA to adjust on track days. God forbid they put a damn knob so you can adjust them. That whole black plastic insert and tiny Allen key is ridiculous.

Side Note: I've been testing out the Triple Adjustable Deka/Nitron Suspsension on my GT-R Track Car and they are simply amazing !! Not only do they look like a work of art....they are insane on the track. And they do make a version for the Evo X. I'll get pictures up in a minute.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Ohlins - Great for the street with DFV technology/Track. Thus the name Road/Track.

KW-Great coils, very European feel, however need extensive knowledge to adjust properly. Can be time consuming.

AST 4100 very good as well, just rebound is adjustable. Most likely great out of the box. But did not have experience with them personally.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
KW's are quality, but they are NOT user friendly at all IMHO. I just sold the set on my GT-R and upgraded to something much, much better. Nearly the same price as KW V3's.

Unless you set them one time, there a PITA to adjust on track days. God forbid they put a damn knob so you can adjust them. That whole black plastic insert and tiny Allen key is ridiculous.

What option was the same price as the kw but was better.

Side Note: I've been testing out the Triple Adjustable Deka/Nitron Suspsension on my GT-R Track Car and they are simply amazing !! Not only do they look like a work of art....they are insane on the track. And they do make a version for the Evo X. I'll get pictures up in a minute.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts