Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to the forum. Joined because I am [STRIKE]thinking about[/STRIKE] dead set on buying an Evo X. I have many questions! Did a quick search on the forum but didn't find much.

The specific one I am looking at right now is a 2012 Evo GSR with 100k kms (62,000 miles.) Completely stock expect for the exhaust and slotted rotors. They are asking a pretty reasonable $24k CAD (about $17,600 USD.) Price also includes summer tires on aftermarket rims, and winter tires on stock rims. Both with lots of tread.

Do evo's start running into problems at this mileage? From what I've heard they are pretty reliable. Are there any common problems that occur at this mileage and beyond? Are there any questions I should be asking the seller?

The seller claims he has all maintenance records since it was brand new. I haven't gone to look at it yet though.

What do you guys typically spend on average a year for maintenance? (Repairs, oil changes, tires, etc.) From the research I've done it is typically around $2,500 CAD ($1,800 USD.) Does that sound reasonable?

I plan to daily drive it year round through our Canadian winters. How does it perform in the snow? I had an 03 WRX in highschool and that thing was a blast in the winter. Never got stuck no matter how bad the roads were. I'm assuming the evo is also great in the snow.

Any other tips?? Other resources to use? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hello! I am new to the forum. Joined because I am [STRIKE]thinking about[/STRIKE] dead set on buying an Evo X. I have many questions! Did a quick search on the forum but didn't find much.

The specific one I am looking at right now is a 2012 Evo GSR with 100k kms (62,000 miles.) Completely stock expect for the exhaust and slotted rotors. They are asking a pretty reasonable $24k CAD (about $17,600 USD.) Price also includes summer tires on aftermarket rims, and winter tires on stock rims. Both with lots of tread.

Do evo's start running into problems at this mileage? From what I've heard they are pretty reliable. Are there any common problems that occur at this mileage and beyond? Are there any questions I should be asking the seller?

The seller claims he has all maintenance records since it was brand new. I haven't gone to look at it yet though.

What do you guys typically spend on average a year for maintenance? (Repairs, oil changes, tires, etc.) From the research I've done it is typically around $2,500 CAD ($1,800 USD.) Does that sound reasonable?

I plan to daily drive it year round through our Canadian winters. How does it perform in the snow? I had an 03 WRX in highschool and that thing was a blast in the winter. Never got stuck no matter how bad the roads were. I'm assuming the evo is also great in the snow.

Stock to slightly modified you should have a good dependable DD. I drive an honest 250-300 miles a week DD, and average about 20MPG. With our gas around 3-3.50 a gallon, that puts me about 60 bucks per week average, gas expense.

Drivetrain fluids are about 100 a year give or take what brands you use and if you do the service yourself. Same with oil changes. I average about 40 or so per change. So given an average change of 5K miles, on a 25k/year DD, thats a minimum 300 per year just in fluid maintenance. I would also look into flushing the brake fluid. It's recommended to flush and replace every 2 years, or if abused, every 5-10k miles. Coolant is often overlooked as well, you would do well to at least consider draining and replacing what you have for peak performance.

Wear items like the clutch and brake pads are 100% up to you how long they last. Not only do you have the choice of what parts you pick, but you also have the choice in how you drive the car. Heavy stops and poor shifting will wear these down considerably. Ballpark of new pads and rotors will be anywhere from 500-1k in a more daily dirver/weekend warrior oriented vehicle. Tires will also be dependent on the tire choice you make, and how you drive as well. You can spend anywhere from 450-500 for a less expensive set of summer type tires, and use them for a few years, or ball out and go 200+ per tire on some max performance units, and wear them out in 10k miles due to compound.

The 1800 dollar/year number isnt a bad estimate, but I personally feel that is a high mark to start out with. But better to expect to pay more and not have to, rather than expect it to be cheap and be sticker shocked.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I live in BC and often travel to Snowy areas for weeks. I have 2012 GSR with 186k kms on it. It's reliable as a tank. It's also tuned and has a few bolt ons. Owned it since new. Changed clutch at 182k kms.

These cars are damn good if you take care of them.

It's a beast in the snow with winter tires. Literally a tank - just get a cheap lip to make sure you plow and don't high enter it in the snowy bank...

As for maintenance. Depends how much you drive. I drove a lot, but here is an average maintenance breakdown assuming you wrench yourself. All in CAD.

Oil: $70 bucks per 5000kms
Brake pads lasted for me about 50k kms, I am an aggressive driver. replaced from Rock Auto for $120.
Tires: I buy used, they last about 40k kms.
Tranny fluids, about $200 every 50k kms.
Rotors - lasted 120k kms, replaced for $360 from RockAuto.
Clutch - lasted $180k kms. $2300 for parts and labour(didn't want to do it myself).

All that, in 186k kms... you can count how much per year yourself.

Here are the pictures from my last 12 hour drive through Canadian mountains during a snow storm. Good 40 CM of snow felt that night... I plowed 100 km/h through Coquihalla highway. As long as you pass the slow drivers you will be fine... if you stay behind one of them, sooner or later someone will crash. We made it that winter, then the highway was closed because someone crashed.

·
Registered
936 Posts
What tires are you guys using?
model/size/studs?
I run Hankook i*cept EVO tires. Though you cant go wrong with Michellin Ice-X, Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80/LM-006 or Nokian Hakkapellitas or WTF ever they are spelled. I run Stock size tire, and I'm sure most others do as well. Usually everyone who runs two sets of tires will keep the stock wheels for winters, and buy a different set for summers/show

5,198 Posts
What tires are you guys using?
model/size/studs?

I run Conti DWS for snow driving but I live in California so it's rarely icy. We do get big storms with big dumps of snow, and the roads get plowed less often than mid west / east coast states.

The only time I ever got stuck was when I was goofing off and went into a snow bank at opposite lock. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts

Sorry to derail your thread OP :innocent:
Check out the stickies posted in this sub-forum, specifically the ''things x owners should know'' https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33641
If none of those are deal breakers, and you're fine with putting at least 200CAD/month into a maintenance/repair spending account for the car then you should be fine. Based on my research the AYC/ACD pumps are the weakest link on the powertrains. Luckly there is a warrenty extension for the AYC/ACD pumps to 10 years, 160,000 km. Check/ask the owner if its been replaced yet.
Another common issue is timing chain stretch, but this can usually be prevented with regular oil changes, I would look over the maintenance records to see how often they were done.
I live in a salt province, so rust is an issue. I specifically looked for one that was rustproofed and checked over it throughly for underbody rust.
If your GSR is SST equipped, you will have to do your own research as this didnt affect me, so I'm not well versed in the various issues tied to the ''automated manual'' tranmissions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts