Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a complete paint job myself. Just one color. I have 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and its Rally Red at the moment and i want to paint it Wicked White or just Black. I was wondering if anyone knew how much this would cost having it professionally done and/or doing it myself. I have all the equipment. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
398 Posts
It would depend on your local shops. I have seen good paint jobs from $1500-$5000. Of course the more detail, the more expensive it is.

When you paint it yourself there are a lot of different thing you have to worry about. Like do you have the tools (paint gun, air compressor, the space to do it) that's not including the masking tape, paper, and paint supplies.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you have all the equipment i guess it would cost as much as supplies(if you have all the stuff you should know those costs).... As far as having it professionally done... I bet if you picked up the phone you could get some quotes...

·
Registered
325 Posts
BIG props if you can do that on your own! - I would suspect having it professionally done thought depending how far you would want to go on the paint would vary.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I've never painted a car but I imagine do it yourself would be hard. You would have to turn your garage into a sterile area unless you want dust and crap in your paint. If you have a 2 car garage you can leave the car in one side and take off all the body panels and have them hanging in the other side. It can be done at home but as with all things it depends how much you commit to it.
If you get it done somewhere dont go to maaco or some other chain place. They do shit work and it starts peeling in a year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Paint jobs are soooooooo hard to get right. I would just pay someone to do it. You would probably save money by trading your car in, and getting a newer one in the colour you want. Unless you are trying to upgrade your paint(door jams and bay must be painted IMO if you are switching colours), because the stock paint is horriawful.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Please take pics of your garage...

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
yeah it depends on color. plus if you plan on painting engine bay inside trunk and everything... red is the most expensive color black is the hardest to hide mistakes.. i just got done painting my whole car from GG to Jaguar Radiance (PPG) its not cheap just put it that way even with an old friend doing it for me

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
:+1: DO NOT, I repeat...DO NOT PAINT THE CAR YOURSELF. Are you talking exterior panel refinish only, or jambs and inner structure as well?
Yeah, don't do it man. You need professional skills for something like that. It's not the type of thing to experiment on. I had mine painted crystal red pearl from the 2010 CTS-V, and it cost $6000.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
Yeah, don't do it man. You need professional skills for something like that. It's not the type of thing to experiment on. I had mine painted crystal red pearl from the 2010 CTS-V, and it cost $6000.
I didn't peg you for actually being a ****.

I'll be sending you pictures of my dick.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I didn't peg you for actually being a ****.

I'll be sending you pictures of my dick.
Gotta see this.

The paint job wasn't due to my non-hetero personality, it was because the car got keyed at the grocery store. There I was, minding my own business. Just grabbing some condoms and warming jelly, when BAM!! From 1500 feet away, I see white racing stripes in my red racer. .....So since crystal red is very very close to rally red, I went with it. It's a tad classier and gets rid of the orangy "background" the rally red color has.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
You should post pictures of it.

If I was going to drop 6k on a paint job, I'd do something fucking wild, like a rainbow stripe theme or something. You need to park it next to a Mitsubishi Rally Red and get some good pictures, for comparison's sake. Might be kind of hard to tell without.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Yeah. If my fucking Varis front lip EVER shows up, I will. I don't know any RR owners around San Antonio tho. So it's gonna be one of those creepy gas station photo-shoots where the guy is walking out from buying beer, and I'm jumping the the car head-first to GTF outta there like I just stole the bubble gum out of his console. It'll be classy as fuck.

·
Premium Member
21,476 Posts
So you have allllll the equipment to do a car paint job yourself but you don't know how much it would cost? Did you just buy professional car painting equipment and never use it? Or are we talking paintbrushes, rollers, a tarp and some Behr from Home Depot? :\ I'm confused by this..

Either way - IF you are a PRO car painter, you will know how much it costs to DIY, and you can DIY. Hell, if you screw up, you have to have it professionally done anyway, so might as well try and post here for us to comment on. Just don't go to maaco or anything silly like that, please.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.