Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got my evo x a few days ago. I want to put a new filter in but am unsure of what is best. I know the cone filter sounds better and gives more power but I hear of people having problems with idling and stalling. My evo is newer and does not need the ecu reflash.

I also came across an HKS drop in thats about 40 bucks, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one and what gains, if any will i see.
I think i'd rather have the cone and fabricate my own shield, I want that bov sound. I'm just worried that im gonna spend the money and it wont run good and i'll have to put the stock back in. I know the drop in is the safer bet. I dont plan on doing any serious mods in the near future.

Has anyone had experience with the HKS filter or with the cone filter with the new ecu reflash?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A drop in is a drop in it should get about the same gains as the works drop in. Now all we need is a link to the website where you found the HKS drop in for that price.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Hey guys,
I had to remove saguy's link. We don't allow people to link, list pricing, or give contact info out to businesses that aren't approved merchants here. However, please feel free to post the pictures of the product and discuss it. We want to keep the flow of information free here!

We do this to protect our members from being ripped off, and also because it would be free advertising which is not fair to our supporting merchants.

Thanks for your understanding,
-Dino

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I would go with the cone filter for better flow. I haven't had any problems with my K&N, but I just ordered the AEM dry filter cone. I heard it flow better than the K&N. I guess I will se when it gets in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One of the local stores is putting an order in for some. Ill pick one up by the end of the week.
PM me when you get it. i'm interested in picking one up also.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I actually have the HKS drop in, there is a noticeable difference in power but I would think a cone type or powerflow would give you more power. The HKS Racing Suction Reloaded is now available with the HKS Powerflow for the Evo X. The price it kinda steep, like $700 USD.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I was sort of under the impression that a drop in filter provided consistent, more predictable airflow. This in turn lead to better reaction by the sensors.

Am I totally off? I think PDX mentioned something at some point or another.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i'm gonna go with the cone. I dont plan on doing any real modding soon considering this car is very new, dont want to have to take everything off incase of a re-call or if they figure out that stupid 1-2, 2-3rd shift clunk.

I think im gonna try the AEM, i plan on fabricating my own heat shield with some sheet aluminum. Would a KNN with a hole in the middle (dont know what its called) be better if using the front side on the stock box??

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was sort of under the impression that a drop in filter provided consistent, more predictable airflow. This in turn lead to better reaction by the sensors.
+1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up an AEM filter today, is it supposed to have a plastic coupler? The one i got doesnt, it kept slipping off when i tried to tighten it up to the MAF until i took some rubbing alcohol and wiped down all the surfaces. It seems to be holding up well, is this something that i need to look into?

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
HKS usually makes bad filters. They dont clear the incoming air out enough. This new one might be different but i highly doubt. So as a filter stay away from HKS.
Anything else like induction pipe etc, I will own soon. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.