Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many reason to have a built motor for peace of mind and ability to hold power safely. But what about the cons?

Those running built bottom end, are you running into problems like smoking exhaust or large oil comsumptions? How is a built motor's longevity compare to stock bottom end where the tolerance are much tighter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oil consumption is a con, depends on how much and if you are great about checking things like that. Forged parts dont expand like regular cast parts.

Every engine build is different though, sorta like comparing apple to oranges or dyno's to dyno's

·
Registered
388 Posts
One of the biggest things is a built motor is much more likely to trigger phantom knock because the metals in the engine are different and the frequencies and noises they make are gonna be different than your stock parts, therefore making it sometimes throw off your knock sensor which is specifically tuned to pickup knock from a stock motor only. This can make tuning annoying/scary because it very well could be real knock, but then again it could be false knock too.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some great info here. What procedure do you guys use to break-in your built motor?

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
There seems to be a lot of confusion and concerns when people start talking about building their 4B11 motors. I think a lot of the confusion stems from how abundant the information was on previous iterations of EVO motors, namely the 4G63 platform and the two engines have no commonality between them. I would never go as far as to say that the 4g63 was more forgiving or robust, but I would say that over 2 decades of building them, the parts became relatively standardized throughout the industry in that information or tolerances became relatively cross compatible lending itself towards the NOTION that the 4G63 was a more forgiving platform.

At Modern Automotive Performance, we do not cut corners...I do NOT mean to say that anyone else does, or that it is a frequent trend amongst builders, BUT the result is that we have built several 4B11 motors ranging from stage one piston/connecting rods builds to stage 2 sleeved and stroked builds...not one of which has let go. I attribute this low failure rate due to double checking...that means, check the clearances, tolerances, recheck and then document. Proper assembly will lend itself towards engine longevity and overall performance.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
There seems to be a lot of confusion and concerns when people start talking about building their 4B11 motors. I think a lot of the confusion stems from how abundant the information was on previous iterations of EVO motors, namely the 4G63 platform and the two engines have no commonality between them. I would never go as far as to say that the 4g63 was more forgiving or robust, but I would say that over 2 decades of building them, the parts became relatively standardized throughout the industry in that information or tolerances became relatively cross compatible lending itself towards the NOTION that the 4G63 was a more forgiving platform.

At Modern Automotive Performance, we do not cut corners...I do NOT mean to say that anyone else does, or that it is a frequent trend amongst builders, BUT the result is that we have built several 4B11 motors ranging from stage one piston/connecting rods builds to stage 2 sleeved and stroked builds...not one of which has let go. I attribute this low failure rate due to double checking...that means, check the clearances, tolerances, recheck and then document. Proper assembly will lend itself towards engine longevity and overall performance.
I could blow one your motors up, no problem :) But that is what I do, i am good like that.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I could blow one your motors up, no problem :) But that is what I do, i am good like that.
That's the spirit! :p

Sounds like a challenge has been set!

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
You can call and place an order any day! lol

Nate

·
Vendor
12,642 Posts
I know, right? I think he pretty much HAS to buy a block now to prove it.

Nate

That's the spirit! :p

Sounds like a challenge has been set!

·
Registered
955 Posts
He has an ERL 2.2 short block. I have an AMS/ERL 2.2 engine built by AMS. Our engines where at ERL at the same time.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
i would assume the 2.2L would be a better option for the GSR to rev the piss out of, but for an SST the stroker 2.3L would probably give you better of the line grunt.

NEWB

EDIT: you will get piston clack from forged pistons, and yes they burn a touch of oil when warming up, but nothing major at all. In 3000km on my new motor i burned maybe 250ml.......

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SST do not like too much torque, I would say it prefers high revving power rather than down low. I'm going with big bore 2.2L for my build as we are speaking.

i would assume the 2.2L would be a better option for the GSR to rev the piss out of, but for an SST the stroker 2.3L would probably give you better of the line grunt.

NEWB

EDIT: you will get piston clack from forged pistons, and yes they burn a touch of oil when warming up, but nothing major at all. In 3000km on my new motor i burned maybe 250ml.......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts