24,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of picking up some coilovers.

My requirements:

1. Better handling than stock
  2. Low NVH - I don't want it to clunk or make noises
  3. Adjustable damping and height (duh)
  4. Rebuildable
I've heard Ohlins are nice but make some noise.

I've driven cars with HKS coilovers (not sure which) and they seemed solid.

I've heard good things about the Fortune Auto, but I have no experience with them.

Money is an object, but I don't mind paying for better quality if it's worth it.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
For minimum noise, look for coils that work with stock top hats. As longas that is possible, pretty sure you will not have any noise issues. As far as which exact model, I think KW V3 or clubsports will be good balance between adjustability, price and availability. Can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I had mine for two seasons and 20k miles - no noise on my Ohlins.

Best ones I ridden in so far. Ohlins, KW V3, H&R's

·
Premium Member
5,995 Posts
KW's are fantastic, and so are ohlins - some of the best don't get me wrong. We sell a ton of them. But, I am definitely a Fortune Auto fanboy. I've been extremely impressed with their workmanship, and you are able to essentially customize them to your spec. Valving, spring rates, you name it. There are also a lot of options for upgrades, such as helper springs and swift spring upgrades depending on the model you choose. The roller bearing upgrade is designed solely for the purpose of having "quiet" coilovers. They are awesome.

We're a direct authorized dealer and we sell these more than any other coilovers we carry hands down.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Dino, who the hell keeps saying Ohlins make noise? Maybe they have an ear infuction.
I am still under the assumption that FA's are made in Taiwan/Korea IIRC when I did my research in the past. Unlike Ohlins... as well as Ohlins are used by Pagani Zonda among other cars and used for many years in motor racing.

I am still just skeptical over some brands out there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dino, who the hell keeps saying Ohlins make noise? Maybe they have an ear infuction.
I keep seeing this as well but I suspect it's people spreading things they've read and not experienced. Perhaps a victim of the usual internet misinformation campaign. I've been running them for just about 5000 miles now and not a clunk, thud, or creak. Solid. On the track it's completely transformed the car, so much fun.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
When funds are available I will be going w/ohlins.. My friend had some kw v3's on his evo and he complained about the noise they made.. But he bought them used with who knows how many miles on them..

·
Purple meat eater
1,242 Posts
I don't know about other Ohlins coilovers, but the car equipped with DFV series that I rode in were quite noisy, and had a clunky feel, yeah I know "because race car" I get that. It could have been this particular car, but I do not have an ear infection :D

I am quite happy with my HKS Hipermax III (Not the sport version), it's extremly liveable considering how much imrovement they make on handling characteristics, and I don't feel like I've gotten "beat up" after long road trips.

I think it's all down to personal preference as some have stated.

·
aka DolEvoX
1,554 Posts
I don't know about other Ohlins coilovers, but the car equipped with DFV series that I rode in were quite noisy, and had a clunky feel, yeah I know "because race car" I get that. It could have been this particular car, but I do not have an ear infection :D

I am quite happy with my HKS Hipermax III (Not the sport version), it's extremly liveable considering how much imrovement they make on handling characteristics, and I don't feel like I've gotten "beat up" after long road trips.

I think it's all down to personal preference as some have stated.
Please elaborate on when they made noise/clunky feel and how you were driving.:wtfsign:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.