Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So I have tried every single gasket combination and I still keep getting an exhaust leak which can I can only hear at low rpms.
Last thing I tried was the ETS flange adapter with a 2.5" Remflex gasket on one side and 3.0" remflex gasket on the other. Leak got louder.
Also I just notice this, but the part where the exhaust connects to the HFC is at an angle. Is this normal or could this be the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lol yes that angle is definitely not normal. It should be flat against the car, I've never seen an exhaust sag that much.

Check that rubber exhaust mount on your HFC - if it's old and saggy it will cause problems.

Or, wait, is your HFC actually angled past the actual CAT? It doesn't look like it's bending at the downpipe flange.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That angle is really messed up. What catback exhaust is that? Are you missing a hanger or have the pipe rotated 180 degrees?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you have a Q300 by any chance? Because the first time I installed mine I installed it upside down. It didn't sag like this but there was a nasty exhaust leak because of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Based on the stock exhaust, it looks like the mount is on the right (both direction and correct) side, but that angle is extremely off... it should run straight back off the cat, flat against the car (really close to the driveshaft, but not close enough to ever touch)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks for confirming guys. I knew it didn't look right.
The muffler shop said it looked fine.

The exhaust is Circuit Werks which my friend has and I just checked this morning and it aligns perfect to the stock cat. The HFC is Turbo XS I dunno I got this for $45 from a guy maybe he sold it cheap cause he had the same problem.

AiZ The rubber mount is good. The pipe being upside down that could be it. Im going to see if flipping the midpipe will make a difference.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah based on that picture, from this angle it definitely looks like your CAT pipe is either bent or at a weird angle. The whole of the cat and midpipe should fit within the groove on the underside of the car, where the heat shields are.

Check the mounting bracket on the rear portion of the exhaust too, if flipping that mid-pipe doesn't help. Hard to see if the mounting rubber is even in place, and looks to me like it's a single exit right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I put it up on a lift and found the mount was bad so you were right. I did manage to make the mount hold it in place. I flipped the mid pipe and Unfortunately the turbo XS HFC will not bolt on to the midpipe 20181104_141724_1541620735885.jpg properly no matter what. I ordered a test pipe from the same company Circuit Werks. Hopefully should mount properly to their exhaust.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I had turbo XS catback and it bolts on perfectly to stock cat. So your testpipe is probably an issue. And yeah, with that angle no gasket will help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I have this same HFC and it works fine for me with my Tanabe catback and Circuit Werks DP... I've attached a pic of what it's supposed to look like, I think the guy sold you a bent or just bad part that made it through because it's supposed to bend down then straighten out before it meets the midpipe. My rubber hanger needs to be replaced as you can see, but it still bolts up straight. I have however, noticed that the turbo-xs hfc had a larger diameter end than my catback which meant it had to be matched up perfectly to seal properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pic yours looks perfectly angled.
If This new Circuit Werks test pipe matches up perfectly
I'm going to cut the catalytic part of the TurboXS HFC off and junk it. That will end that.
and Yeah You're right that thing is huge I noticed that The TurboXS HFC is like 80-82mm ID and my Exhaust is more like 74MM ID. I guess that also contributes to the problem

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Why don't you contact both companies and ask them. Turbo XS are in Australia, but they are very quick to reply and last time I contacted them they helped me out a lot. May be you installed it wrong? May be the exhaust is supposed to mate with only same brand HFC. Turbo XS HFC is same flange and angle location as stock cat because I had one and stock midpipe mounts just fine to HFC. So I would say exhaust is the weird on here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did they said it works best with their exhaust or stock.
Ok recieved the test pipe today and placed it on the same spot that I had previously taken a picture of the Turbo XS HFC. They are not angled the same from what I can tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Well, if it work with "their exhaust or stock" then the HFC was not an issue... because stock is similarly angled as your HFC... so it's the exhaust that is an issue then?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I guess so and to think I almost purchased the Turbo XS Exhaust before I ended up buying this one. A guy one Ebay had a good deal on it for $500 shipped. I probably wouldn't have had any issues mounting it to their HFC.
Hopefully this Test pipe does mount up perfectly to their Exhaust.
I miss driving the EVO

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Turbo XS is a good exhaust, but I found that after 5 years of driving with it I wanted something quieter. I wasn't ready to switch to smaller diameter exhaust as I loved the quicker spool. So I went to T1R 76R. It's quieter, but it's a 3" anyways and is a tad too loud. I am thinking of Medalion or something smaller now. I want smoother but still nice exhaust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh I was under the impression that the Turbo XS exhaust and T1R 76version are quiet systems. I know they both have resonators.
I don't think the Tanabe Exhaust will be noticeably quieter then what you currently have.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Turbo XS doesn't have a resonator. Nice thick straight pipe all the way through. T1R is quieter and smoother, but I am getting older and lost my appreciation for the noise :)

Turbo XS was fun when I was in my early 20s, now I am looking for something smooth. Doesn't tanabe use smaller diameter piping?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts