Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone run both and can speak to which is better for someone just doing intake panel filter and cat-back exhaust (and a tune)?

Factors: Airflow, sound, filtration quality.

Looks like the Works costs twice as much as the Cossie. Any good reason for that?
Cossie at DSG: http://www.dsgperformance.com/products.asp?id=3856&catID=91&catoID=91&thisPage=&perPage=
Works at MAP: http://www.maperformance.com/works-drop-in-air-filter-evo-x-110.111.html

edit: sounds like the Works one is oiled. I'll probably go with the Cossie.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What kind of gains did you see?
16whp no tune on the Stock Map from an 2008 rom so it was the most inexpensive Mod I have done. The filter was switched on the dyno and the dealer approved that it would not void the warranty so it was awesome!!! The Metal Bracket really seals the Air Box Well!!!

Later I added UICP and Catback Exhaust and got on the same Mustang Dyno with 294WHP and 306WTQ Devintuned so it was all done on a Mustang Dyno.

Another thing I saw in the Sig from the OP was he lives in Phoenix. I ran Paper filters on both my Porsches and it was hell from the sand. Once the cars were Modified I ran the K&N Panel on one and then switched on both of them to Cones and was able to clean them which is better than buying new ones every three months.

The Works is much easier to clean than the K&N and the oil does NOT clump in spots like the K&N does.

I ran the HKS Green on the EVO VIII and hated it.

Hope this helps.
:shades:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have the cosworth. Cheap, zero oil so no issue for ruining the mass air flow sensor.

Plus dyno proven to make 15 hp.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is a tune or even a shelf tune necessary for a drop in filter with no other mods?
With a stock map and factory turbo inlet it is safe. You can even add a UICP,
Intercooler, and Catback Exhaust and you will be fine.

Just don't add a Test Pipe without tuning with all those mods.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts

Looking for confirmation on this.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone

·
Registered
461 Posts

+1. I have done this before myself.

Also wouldn't run an after market turbo inlet + drop-in without a tune.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Youll be fine. I've ran an intake and cat back with no tune for over a year.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
eh... I think i will hold off. I cant afford to build the engine if it goes boom. So no mod for me. :) thanks for the answers guys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agreed I just wanted to know about something simple like the UICR and drop in. By the time bigger mods would come, I would hopefully have an AP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1. I have done this before myself.

Also wouldn't run an after market turbo inlet + drop-in without a tune.
I'm planning on installing an after market turbo inlet like Cobb or Samco + drop in (HKS or Cosworth) on my stock X. Would that be bad?

·
Registered
709 Posts
fwiw i'd go for a dry filter ala cosworth.
+1 add a uicp, and you got your first mods, I guaratee you will get the modding bug, later you will do the exhaust, 3 port, intercooler, wheels, suspension, and trackdays, after that fuel system, turbo upgrade, cams, after that bottom end, and so on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts