Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: Evo X GSR
Diff: Cusco RS 1.5way Rear for cars with AYC
Fluid: Amsoil SVG 75w140 (cusco recommends their 80w140, but amsoil is fine)

I got this installed recently but didn't get a chance to give my cusco rear diff a real workout until last Sunday's auto-x.

The first big difference I noticed was behavior through sweepers. The throttle oversteer was controllable and you could move the rear end out much more easily. What this meant for me was that I could get on the gas earlier and stay on it through the entire turn.

On tight turns it made the car much more nimble when you kept in the power band. Just using some good throttle modulation went a long way in getting the car around, keeping speed, and positioning for the exit and next element. Normally I would suffer from a little too much understeer on exit and have to go slower in the entry and mid to position the car where I wanted it.

For extremely tight turns I also saw improvement. Although you still have wait a bit more than you'd like, as is the nature of some turns, it was easier to get out of it. I could start applying a little more throttle early on and the rear end would step out. It just required faster unwinding of the wheel with the throttle application to make sure I kept the car in the direction I wanted and under control.

For those wondering about daily driving, it does make it a bit better as it decreases mid-turn and exit understeer with throttle application. You do need to not be an ass hat though and try to hammer the accelerator with the wheel cranked as you will get your car's ass out very quickly.

The only down side is that it'll sound like your car is broken. Even with a proper break-in of figure-eights, circles, and a fluid change it's still clunks a bit. Most of the sound goes away when the fluid is hot, but it'll always be there. And if you do a 3-pt turn, just expect to hear the clunking and catching of the plates.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's amazing the AYC still works with a LSD as opposed to a open diff (stock) but maybe it will shed some light on how the system really works. It's possible the AYC clutch paks have to do less work since the differential can lock on it's own.

Still can't rationalize how the hell is could possibly work! Does the AYC display graphic (with the circular bars around the center stack of bars) still light up and do it's thing?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen that icon show up. I run the car with ASC at full off though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.