Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into an issue with my 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X GSR yesterday. The car was having a bad misfire on cylinder #3 and had to limp the car home. I went and checked all of the spark plugs and everything checked out okay but when grabbing the coil pack from cylinder 3 it was burning hot. Cylinders 1, 2, and 4 were all capable of being pulled out without burning my hand. I checked the car this morning and grabbed a new ignition coil and placed it in the car and with just the ignition being on I heard a crack and instantly turned off the power to the car (pictures attached of ignition coil). I looked at the wiring for the cylinder 3 and everything checked out to be okay. Im stuck and have no idea what else to try. If someone could possibly help out that would be amazing. Thank you!
Automotive lighting Finger Bumper Rectangle Gas

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm afraid it's not a common problem and you'll need a shop with modern diagnostic equipment to figure it out. You might be able to get some of the troubleshooting done. If you put a plug on the coil and turn on the ignition you should be able to see if it's just firing nonstop. Could be a trigger signal causing the ECU to freak out. Might be a problem with the ECU sending the full voltage to it constantly instead of only during start. Could be a bad coil driver. Could be a short in the wiring. It's not one you'll have a fun time of throwing parts at / guessing. Check out this saga: StackPath Probably not your issue but you can see what needs to go in to properly diagnosing the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm afraid it's not a common problem and you'll need a shop with modern diagnostic equipment to figure it out. You might be able to get some of the troubleshooting done. If you put a plug on the coil and turn on the ignition you should be able to see if it's just firing nonstop. Could be a trigger signal causing the ECU to freak out. Might be a problem with the ECU sending the full voltage to it constantly instead of only during start. Could be a bad coil driver. Could be a short in the wiring. It's not one you'll have a fun time of throwing parts at / guessing. Check out this saga: StackPath Probably not your issue but you can see what needs to go in to properly diagnosing the issue.
Thank you! Did it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts