Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was curious to see how many of you have run higher hp levels on stock blocks and have seen stretching on the non braced cylinder? Im replacing my engine and am weighing the need to sleeve. I already intend on pistons/rods/etc. This will be my first engine build and I want to make sure I’m covering all of my bases. I am aiming for 500whp.

my concern I suppose is whether or not the heat is going to be enough at the required boost levels to warp the cylinder missing the added bracing.

· [E-Tuner]
16,088 Posts
500 whp isnt enough to twist, warp or stretch the block. 800+ is

Plus, depending on what fasteners you use in the block, those can also twist or warp the block and should be accounted for in the machining process.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Generally speaking, cylinder issues don't start to show up until you need to upgrade the OEM MAP sensor, which maxes out around 33 PSI. Typically, any turbo that is making power past that number is moving enough air to cause excessive cylinder pressures to the point that it can flex the upper portion of the OEM cyl liner.

Like Chet mentioned, if you plan on using studs on your engine (head or main) then those should be supplied to your engine builder so they can use them during the final hone process.

You could send the block to CSS (cylinder support systems) who install a press-fit brace in the upper portion of the block, to make the deck fully closed vs the OEM semi-open deck design.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts