Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a bit of searching and didn't find a thread like this, everyone talks about how great the X is as a daily so this thread is for compiling stuff related to daily driven EVO's.

I know a lot of you also have second cars (beaters or garage queens), some store their EVO's for winter, some are track only, some drive their EVO's in any and all weather, some would never eat/drink in theirs and others carry their dogs/kids. This thread is for finding out how everyone who's EVO is their primary mode of transportation treats them.

I have this internal debate about where the lines between enjoying the car, conconvenience, comfort, functionality & cleanliness lay. Like I would love to take the EVO for snowboarding trips and have the fun of driving it to the mountain & in the snow, but at the same time I don't want to get it dirty. I would love to have my dog riding shotgun with me but at the same time his fur gets everywhere, nose prints all over the windows, slobber on the dash and his nails could rip the seats.

So let's discuss! Where's your line between having a super clean interior and not even being able to have your morning coffee in the car on the way to work. The lines between enjoying it, abusing it, and being so careful/clean that it inhibits convenience & enjoyment. The grey area between parking all the way at the far end of the lot and not caring about door dings.

Things of interest:
Commute time & distance:
HP/TQ:
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck?
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying:
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups?
Rules about eating/drinking:
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo:
Frequency of washing/waxing:
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter):
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries?
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.):

Anything else that applies and of course PICS of daily driven Evo's welcome.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Things of interest: Chose Evo over 135i and GTI.
Commute time & distance: +100 km a day Monday to Friday
HP/TQ: Dunno yet
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck?: Stock and nope!
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects daily driving: Bilsteins and GT Worx springs. A bit bumpy, but that's because of crappy roads.
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? Winter - RPF1's on Gislaved Winter tires. Advan RZ for summer. No tires yet. Stoptech pads on stock Brembos.
Rules about eating/drinking: Do it all the time, it is practically my office
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Yup! Drive my daughter to school every morning.
Frequency of washing/waxing: Twice a week, more of it is dirty. Major wax after winter.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): Yup. It's my DD.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? Work stuff, golf bag, snowboard gear.
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): BMW X5d - Family wagon

Attachments

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts
Commute time & distance: 20-25 minutes each way. Distance is 20 miles
HP/TQ: 360/360
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck? Stock clutch and hate it. Too soft.
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: 14k/12k I don't mind the stiff ride (no ****)
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? Track only tire/wheels/brake pads.
Will be getting all seasons for my stock wheels.
Rules about eating/drinking: don't let my kids eat/drink in my evo. They spill A LOT of stuff
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Yes
Frequency of washing/waxing: Once a month.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): I drive in the rain and snow, but once I get a new DD, it will be stored for the winter.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? Nothing except for tools. Litterally.
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): wife has her car, that's it.

Once I get a new DD, my evo will be gutted, caged, and I will build the engine.

I also love weight loss. I have taken/cutted/removed everything that's unneccessary.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad that my thread is working :dancebanana:

EdmBimmer, what do you have for a track car?
Chetrickerman, are you saying that you have a separate track specific setup and a daily setup that you use in rain/snow? Can't imagine that especially in CO you're driving a summer time all year. What are you planning to get for a new daily?

Seems like a lot of Evo owner's also ride snowboards. Coincidence?

·
Registered
905 Posts

Chetrickerman, are you saying that you have a separate track specific setup and a daily setup that you use in rain/snow? Can't imagine that especially in CO you're driving a summer time all year. What are you planning to get for a new daily?

Opps. My bad, I changed it. Evo is my track car. Lol.

SNOWBOARDING FTW!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Great idea!

Things of interest: Stopped of used dealer to buy 2005 STI which had just been sold, stopped off at Mitsu dealership. Left with an SE. Never regretted it.
Commute time & distance: 5min (good day), 20 min (average), 1.5 hr (bad day) Distance: 4km. Yes.... 4km.
HP/TQ: No idea.
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck?: SE
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: Stock
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? : Stock Brakes and Enkeis, ContiWinterContact tires and Stock Advan tires.
Rules about eating/drinking: As long there's no spills and oily hands rubbing everywhere. Pick up your trash.
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Havent gotten to this point.
Frequency of washing/waxing: Wash once every 1-2 weeks. Wax once every 2-4 weeks year round.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): Driven all year round
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? Grocery bags, completely stripped.
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): Used to have Civic for 2nd vehicle, gone now.

I treat it well but I drive it to be driven, none of this keeping 10 car lengths to avoid rocks. None of this park at the far back of the parking lot but will skip parking spaces that are too tight. I love it.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts

Its a great thread idea.

I have stock wheels and nitto tires which I will switch out for all seasons. Then I have 18x10.5 Enkei RPF1's with 275 dunlop tires for track/autoX.

I don't care about what I get for a new DD. A cheap honda or something good on gas, lol

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Its a great thread idea.

I have stock wheels and nitto tires which I will switch out for all seasons. Then I have 18x10.5 Enkei RPF1's with 275 dunlop tires for track/autoX.

I don't care about what I get for a new DD. A cheap honda or something good on gas, lol
Thanks!

See that's what I'm debating like should I get a cheap beater that I could use for crappy weather, going places where the evo might get scratched, gas mileage, picking up the dog etc. Or I thought I shouldv'e gotten a dedicated track car like an FD RX7 and then something more luxury like a Lexus IS/GS or Audi A4 as a daily. I was so indecisive for so long on the best way to go with an approx 30k car budget. Thought about DD a beater accord and having a MKIV Supra for a weekend car.

But I'm just so in love with the X and it can do everything well. I think I will find a happy compromise of cleanliness and being able to eat/drink and enjoy my car.

I think eventually/ideally I'll have three wheel & tire setups. Stock wheels with winter tires, 18 volks with a track tire, and 19 ADV1 with summer but ok for rain tire for DD & hard parking.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts
Thanks!

See that's what I'm debating like should I get a cheap beater that I could use for crappy weather, going places where the evo might get scratched, gas mileage, picking up the dog etc. Or I thought I shouldv'e gotten a dedicated track car like an FD RX7 and then something more luxury like a Lexus IS/GS or Audi A4 as a daily. I was so indecisive for so long on the best way to go with an approx 30k car budget. Thought about DD a beater accord and having a MKIV Supra for a weekend car. But I'm just so in love with the X and it can do everything well.
Yup. It would always be my DD if it wasn't for the winter, and my future track goals just make it unrealistic for a DD

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Makes sense, but at the same time I'm like the car came with a snow mode! It would be a shame not to use it and lock her up all winter. Then the other side kicks in and is like but then it will get sooo dirty, scratched and ruined.

I'll see how things go. Mine will be my only car for a while and it may turn into a track only car and I'll get something else, or it may stay my daily and I'll get something like a GTR, RX7 or Supra as a weekend car. Who knows, I also wouldn't mind having a CTS-V or M5 as a daily.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Commute time & distance: 2+ miles & 5-10 minutes
HP: 280whp? (estimation based upon current mods w/ others' dyno charts)
What clutch setup? MR/SST
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: Stock Bilsteins w/ Swift Sport springs. Ride height is good for the most part, but some curbs, road dips, & inclines will cause issues if I'm not cautious. Ride comfort is perfect (for the most part). Slightly harsh over abrupt surfaces (like uneven railroad tracks). Get a bit of body roll when hitting uneven corners hard.
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? Stock pads, but soon to be on GiroDisc pads. Wheels are 18"x9" AME Tracer FS-01s - 1 set for summer & 1 for winter. Summer tires are Hankook Evo V12s & winter tires are A/S Goodyear Eagle F1s.
Rules about eating/drinking: Don't leave a mess & you better not spill anything anywhere!
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Rarely (because I don't have kids or own a dog). Dogs must be small & have a blanket underneath to prevent scratching & hairs covering the seats.
Frequency of washing/waxing: Whenever I start noticing a coat of dust or dirty wheels. It gets a bit neglected during the cold/icy/snowy winter months.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): Drive it all year round.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? No spare, but a large amp & 12" sub. I'm not afraid to put anything in there, as long as it's not extremely heavy & it has no chance of scratching my sub.
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): Just a chopper-style bicycle (weighs 50lbs, haha). :)

Most recent photo:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Things of interest: Had a 2g DSM, moved to a lifted 04 F-150, now have the X. Wanted a turbo again. Wish I still had a truck too though.
Commute time & distance: Mon-Fri: 30 min/day avg. 10 km, Weekends: Anything goes.
HP/TQ: No clue, Stage 1 with Testpipe.
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck?: Stock Clutch, don't mind traffic.
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects daily driving: Eibach Springs. Kinda bumpy but don't care. Have to watch steep transfers into driveways or anything. Huge speed bumps my mud flaps touch.
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups?: Summer= Rota Grids 18x9.5 with Star Spec 265s Winter= Stock Enkei's with 245 Blizzaks
Rules about eating/drinking: Typical driving food. No lobster dinner. Drinks are fine with lids.
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Don't have kids nor a dog.
Frequency of washing/waxing: Once a week in the summer, Once or Twice every 2 weeks in the winter. (brrr)
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): Yes all year.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? ..trunk?? Oh that thing in the back. It holds my subwoofer.
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): 06 Hyundai Elantra. (my gf's car) Use when fuel efficiency is needed.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Commute time & distance: 3 min / 3 miles
HP/TQ: 317/344 intake/exhaust/piping/tune
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck? Stock clutch - in some traffic its fine - but after 20 minutes it starts to suck. I rarely drive in rush hour.
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: H&R Coilovers 8k/7k, slammed (3-4" clearance around)
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? Set of wider Rota Grids 18x9.5 wheels with Nittos and use stockers for winter with blizzaks. Im still rocking the summer wheels right now cause i like the look lol
Rules about eating/drinking: Only i get to eat in my car, and its rare.
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Never, ever. Period.
Frequency of washing/waxing: Once or twice / week i spray down, claybar/wax every couple months.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): I drive it through blizzards, i don't give a fuck!
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? 5 boxes of .223 and some .40 cal and a few guns. Also.. a survival pack with a few MRE's and 5 bottles water. Poncho, flash light, etc
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): No other vehicles, considering a GSXR.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Commute time & distance: I drive about 100miles at least running errands or for work related crap for about 3 hours of the day.
HP/TQ: 313/324
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: eibach pro kit, its much better than stock. No more boating while going through elevated surfaces.
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? RacingBrakes et500 pads with continental dws all-season for year around, too lazy for dual set up but will do dual set up with different sets of rims + summer tires once I finish power mods (400)
Rules about eating/drinking: drinking yes which is why I have wet towels in the car but eating - fuck no.
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Dogs, fuck no. Kids? Dont even know any kids...
Frequency of washing/waxing: Wash it at least once a week, sometimes two but after I got lowered thats gone out the window... too damn cold to hand wash it now lol. Waxing, every month.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): Hell yea I drive in rain and especially snow. You gotta wait till snow is a bit crushed down then enjoy the show.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? Roadside kit, jumper cables and the Rockford fostgate in there.
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): F150 4x4 90k miles on it for work, pulling the concession trailer.

I have an MR TOURING with every option on it so it is in my opinion a lot more comfy to a gsr plus SST in case there is traffic which is a lie just like the cake where I am. Picture in sig.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Things of interest: my second mitsu :)
Commute time & distance:44 total a day during the work week
HP/TQ: 470/370 (virtual dyno)
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck? : stock clutch and i hate traffic in any manual car
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: eibach springs and stock struts. feels tight enough for dd and some fun. coils are definitely next since car will get its fare share of track duty next year.
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? oem brembos with hawk pads, 18x9.5 grids wrapped in 265/35 hankook ventus v12
Rules about eating/drinking: i do it all the time. its why vacuums were created
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: no and no!
Frequency of washing/waxing: once a week
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): its a rally car. rain sleet and snow she sees it all.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries?: Nada!
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.):
boosted 5 speed swapped galant: project car
lexus sc400: street sweeper :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Things of interest:Pro Subaru for years, research swayed me to the dark side
Commute time & distance:12 minutes. 7km
HP/TQ:334/325(wheel)
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck?stock. no
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying:MR Bilstein and Eibach, ride is smooth. Looking to re-valve and drop on Swift Spec R for summer.
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? MR two-piece rotors and BBS with stock Advan for summer. GSR Enkei with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded for winter
Rules about eating/drinking:only if it's me
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo:yes/no
Frequency of washing/waxing:3 or 4 times a week/diamond coat polish from dealer(specialized for black cars) 2 or 3 times a year on parts of car that doesn't have 3M(probably 35% is covered)
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter):of course, especially on frozen lakes
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries?work gear, lint free towels to dry car from all the car washes
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.):shoes, so I can walk to my car and drive it

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great idea!

Things of interest: Stopped of used dealer to buy 2005 STI which had just been sold, stopped off at Mitsu dealership. Left with an SE. Never regretted it.
Commute time & distance: 5min (good day), 20 min (average), 1.5 hr (bad day) Distance: 4km. Yes.... 4km.
HP/TQ: No idea.
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck?: SE
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: Stock
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? : Stock Brakes and Enkeis, ContiWinterContact tires and Stock Advan tires.
Rules about eating/drinking: As long there's no spills and oily hands rubbing everywhere. Pick up your trash.
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Havent gotten to this point.
Frequency of washing/waxing: Wash once every 1-2 weeks. Wax once every 2-4 weeks year round.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): Driven all year round
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? Grocery bags, completely stripped.
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): Used to have Civic for 2nd vehicle, gone now.

I treat it well but I drive it to be driven, none of this keeping 10 car lengths to avoid rocks. None of this park at the far back of the parking lot but will skip parking spaces that are too tight. I love it.

Haha! Love that last photo, like that everywhere I park. Not a day goes by when I don't have a jacked-up truck revving next to me...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Things of interest:bought my Evo because I've always loved Evos...and Gtr's maintenance was too high.
Commute time & distance:Varies, If i visit my Alma mater it's 200+ miles to school/work 15 miles daily
HP/TQ:400whp,320wtq
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck?SSt with 500hp clutch packs...traffic only sucks because it's traffic...
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: I'd love to modify my suspension for DD...but I know little about suspension...
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? for the most part stock yokos....currently blizzaks...I am looking to change my summer tire to bridgestones...but who knows
Rules about eating/drinking: If you spill I will stand over you and make you clean it up. luckily I have upgraded "floor mats" aka deep dish diggers.
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo:.....NO
Frequency of washing/waxing: twice a week washing. waxing isn't by hand...my bad
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): driven at all times.....I have a closed garage but use it for my 1000rr.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? trunk has 150 piece tool kit, AEM methanol/water injec kid...sub and of course spare tire... plus depending on season, snow gear (snow gloves, hat, snow pants, snow boots, "summer", football, sunscreen, towel. (also at all seasons is a jizz towel).
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): 2008 cbr1000rr, ken belle twin screw 4.7l 2004 jeep grand cherokee....
[/QUOTE]
Anything else that applies and of course PICS of daily driven Evo's welcome.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Things of interest: I've had the Evo for less than a year so far, it is my first new car and first sports car.
Commute time & distance: 40+ miles a day 4 times a week. About an hour a day commuting.
HP/TQ: stock
What clutch setup if gsr & does traffic suck? stock. I love driving stick even in stop and go traffic.
Suspension Setup & rate how your ride height/stiffness affects dailying: Stock setup, I think it's more than adequate especially with decent roads.
Brakes, wheels & tires: All seasons? multiple setups? Brakes and wheels are stock. Tires are the biggest upgrade so far, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP run flats. They really deadened a lot of the road noise and increased overall traction so that braking, acceleration, and cornering all get some enhancement.
Rules about eating/drinking: Just be respectful. Don't do it that much though.
Kids/dogs allowed in Evo: Never had the opportunity with either. I bought the car so I could start a family to be honest, so I will use it for children eventually. If I get a dog, then I will take precautions. Someone else's dog? Blow me.
Frequency of washing/waxing: Once every 2 weeks in the Summer/Spring. Maybe once a month in the Winter.
Driven in rain/snow (stored for winter): Damn right I do.
What's in your trunk? Tools? Speakers? Groceries? Nada
Other vehicles and their purpose (beater, show car, family, track car etc.): 1993 4Runner usually splits time with the Evo as a DD, however it's sitting in the garage getting headers installed :rock:. Outside of being a DD, it's used for hauling big crap and dirty crap. The wife has a 2002 A4 that I only use when she's driving the Evo which is not very often.

MISC: I respect my vehicles but I don't like to baby them and I don't like to thrash them. I let the Evo get dirty inside and out just enough to show that I actually drive it. I personally can't enjoy anything if i am too meticulous about it.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts