Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as some of you have read my car hasnt started for almost a month now. well turns out my timing chain is stretched i have 45k miles on stock motor. mechanic says the chain jumped about 4 teeth and believes the tensioner was the culprit smh so now i believe i have bent valves . As of right now im thinking of fixing it and just selling it this is just ridiculous Mitsubishi cut too many corners on parts.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The tensioner seems to be the culprit in a few cases.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
maybe you should check into doing a warranty claim before trying to fix yourself...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I saw someone point out how the part number for the chain has changed for 2011 too (2012 models that is). So, likely whether it's official or not, enough people have been in with this problem for a chain that it's likely Mitsu will want to fix it to keep you from leaving their marketing hold on other stuff. As Teph said, look into warranty coverage. This is a drivetrain component and that warranty is like 60k. Belts should be "wear items", but even a timing belt is usually covered under drivetrain warranties, because it's typical to replace a belt at 80-100k and a chain at 160+k

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I saw someone point out how the part number for the chain has changed for 2011 too (2012 models that is). So, likely whether it's official or not, enough people have been in with this problem for a chain that it's likely Mitsu will want to fix it to keep you from leaving their marketing hold on other stuff.
If they cared or were scared of our market Segment they would recall. So it's obvious they don't.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If they cared or were scared of our market Segment they would recall. So it's obvious they don't.
Corporate doing a recall and a dealership making good on something are two totally different things.

Remember Mitsu doesn't own dealerships, they are franchised. So, a dealerships ability to stay in business sometimes means taking care of a customer even though financially they aren't being supported from corporate. Dealerships are the face of how the dealership makes money (it's service not sales). Mitsu is a heavy industries, if cars don't sell, dump trunks, cranes, train tracks, or TV's might. If people don't go to dealers feeling they have a chance for warranty coverage and buy upsale items like an oil change while there, they will simply shut down.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Corporate doing a recall and a dealership making good on something are two totally different things.

Remember Mitsu doesn't own dealerships, they are franchised. So, a dealerships ability to stay in business sometimes means taking care of a customer even though financially they aren't being supported from corporate. Dealerships are the face of how the dealership makes money (it's service not sales). Mitsu is a heavy industries, if cars don't sell, dump trunks, cranes, train tracks, or TV's might. If people don't go to dealers feeling they have a chance for warranty coverage and buy upsale items like an oil change while there, they will simply shut down.
Knew all this, what's your point?
Oh that try won't recall a known defect with, as you said yourself, many "know and documented cases"

Take the relays for example. No dealer in SoCal would replace them under warranty or as part of the recall because "we aren't a cold weather state" shame to treat an owner of a 35k car worse than I did when I owned a base 7k focus in highschool.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Oh that try won't recall a known defect with, as you said yourself, many "know and documented cases"

Take the relays for example. No dealer in SoCal would replace them under warranty or as part of the recall because "we aren't a cold weather state" shame to treat an owner of a 35k car worse than I did when I owned a base 7k focus in highschool.
We weren't talking about relays in this situation. We are talking about bent valves, timing chain and tensioner.

There's a big difference in how a dealership feels that someone might sue in small claims for a few thousand in repair work for a warranty not being honored and relays that most people wouldn't even put on a credit card and the labor can be done as easily as wiper blades.

Remember repairs over $500 that are reported against a warranty claim with Mitsu usually have to sent to the regional Mitsu corporate rep for approval. The chain + labor is over $500, that doesn't even include how he mentioned 4 teeth jumped and could be bent valves since it's an interference engine.

FWIW, a local here in Phx, he had a problem with valve lashings and it was causing excessive tapping. The local dealership covered him 100% under warranty with a loaner car while they rebuilt the head. They also had him take his car home and swap to stock parts since he had a few bolt-ons, but they didn't give him grief about covering it even though he was modified when they assessed the problem.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
We weren't talking about relays in this situation. We are talking about bent valves, timing chain and tensioner.

There's a big difference in how a dealership feels that someone might sue in small claims for a few thousand in repair work for a warranty not being honored and relays that most people wouldn't even put on a credit card and the labor can be done as easily as wiper blades.

Remember repairs over $500 that are reported against a warranty claim with Mitsu usually have to sent to the regional Mitsu corporate rep for approval. The chain + labor is over $500, that doesn't even include how he mentioned 4 teeth jumped and could be bent valves since it's an interference engine.

FWIW, a local here in Phx, he had a problem with valve lashings and it was causing excessive tapping. The local dealership covered him 100% under warranty with a loaner car while they rebuilt the head. They also had him take his car home and swap to stock parts since he had a few bolt-ons, but they didn't give him grief about covering it even though he was modified when they assessed the problem.
all of this is already known. Thanks
For regurgitating forum knowledge.
Your logic makes as much sense As Mitsus " do we cover, do we not"

Good luck OP, you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Then if this is common forum knowledge why would he post his original question?

If this is also common knowledge that because of the extent of damage he actually has a good case for warranty coverage, why would you compare this to $50 bucks in relays?

I do agree with you, he will need some good luck that the whole process isn't painful. It's definitely more painful to deal with Mitsu than most other dealers.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
i dont think they cover it cuz its a wear n tear but i could be wrong
By that logic, ALL internal engine & gearbox components are wear items.

If it was a 'wear and tear' item, then the law states that it must be specified in the Maintenance Schedule. Which it is not. Therefore it IS covered under the 5/60 power train warranty.

Sue the bastards.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
By that logic, ALL internal engine & gearbox components are wear items.

If it was a 'wear and tear' item, then the law states that it must be specified in the Maintenance Schedule. Which it is not. Therefore it IS covered under the 5/60 power train warranty.

Sue the bastards.

Thanks for clearing up
Some of the retard in this thread. Wow.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.