Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I decided to check the oil level in the car and the oil was passed the full mark by least 1 qt. The oil was changed by the dealer about 1,000 miles ago and I should of checked it then. I called the dealer to see if there was a reason for the overfill and they said it was probably a mistake. I told them it was overfilled by a quart and they said one quart would not cause a problem but two quarts will. I thought this was BS. They told me to bring the car in and they would drain it. This was the first oil change in the car and I'm kicking myself for not checking their work. What kind of damage could the overfill have done?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Overfilling oil will cause the crank to come into contact with the oil reserve sitting at the bottom of the pan. This will cause foaming and air bubbles in your oil. Not a problem until it gets picked up and air bubbles are circulated around in a high pressure system.

Not sure if 1 quart extra will cause this, but get it drained anyway.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I do all my own Oil changes. I don't trust the dealer to do anything right!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I recently had an oil change and it was a little overfilled, probably 1/4 inch over the highest hole on the dipstick. Nissan Master tech/GTR certified who does my work said it was fine. Needless to say, I am getting a little drained out next time I have the chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to pull about 1 qt using a syringe to get the oil level down to the full mark. I normally change the oil in my cars but I used a coupon from Mitsubishi for a free oil change. I figured an oil change is pretty straight forward but I guess not. I hate the fact that you always have to inspect people's work and should never assume.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
oh god the motor is toast time to get a new one. Yes overfill can be a issue but your car runs fine right?change the oil and if you track it do not put to much in.

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
you should be fine.
negative

Change your oil yourself. It's not that hard.

Avoid dealerships unless you are getting warranty work.
this

Overfilling oil will cause the crank to come into contact with the oil reserve sitting at the bottom of the pan. This will cause foaming and air bubbles in your oil. Not a problem until it gets picked up and air bubbles are circulated around in a high pressure system.

Not sure if 1 quart extra will cause this, but get it drained anyway.
this plus pistons and rings can go bad

um....No......
this
At least it's better than being underfilled. Just drain some of it out.
this can also work

I do all my own Oil changes. I don't trust the dealer to do anything right!
this

Lol @ this tard thread.
this once again

·
[Off Topic Moderator], [Ralliart Moderator], [Loca
4,765 Posts
^^ damn lay just quote the whole thread

1 - 16 of 16 Posts