Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am fairly new to this forum. Having a dillema. I am having a hard time deciding on either grabbing a new 2011 or 2012 evo x or a loaded truck FX4 with ecoboost. I already have a nice muscle car but I need a daily driver. I drive roughly around 30 miles one way and love both the evo and the truck. The evo would be a daily driver but not sure how much maintainence or how much it will cost to own this bad boy. I need a four door since kids are probably in the picture soon. But having a hard time not wanting a fun car for a daily and already have my toy in garage so any advice on cost, and reliability would be great. If I land the evo I would want to be around 400 whp and thats it. What would it cost to get those gains and is it reliable. I have seen the cobb website and have seen the FP green setup and its a lil pricey but not crazy. Looking at WW GSR SSS currently since stick is the way to go. Oh, I currently own a 2010 Shelby GT500. Im sure this question has been asked a million times but any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for rambling on. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
So, you have a 2010 Evo X SSS and are wanting opinions on whether or not to get a 2011?

Troll much............

Hmm......

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
he has a 2010 GT500 and is debating an evo as a dd

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
this car is not an economical car ..ull spend more .. and sell ur muscle car as a cost of having this ..

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
get the fx4.. the evo is not your thing, its not good for kids, and its not as reliable as the gt500 even when its stock, so if you mod it to 400hp it definitely wont be reliable to your standards..

btw i am not saying that the evo just keeps breaking down and falls apart, what I mean is the evo needs a lot of attention and a lot of maintenance..

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
How about sell the gt500 and get a z06 and buy a ralliart :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Get the truck. You already have your toy. You don't need the X. There, I said it. If you want a boosted sedan then get a low mileage VIII, IX, or even 04-06 STi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, you have a 2010 Evo X SSS and are wanting opinions on whether or not to get a 2011?

Troll much............

Hmm......
@ Joey. Had a 2010 Evo for like 2 months. Got a deal on my Shelby
And traded for the Evo. So all I did was barely break in Evo and still have no idea what the maintainence costs are, I barely remember what it was like to have it. So not trolling. Wouldn't waste my time. I had posted about exhausts long time ago when I had it but was a long while ago. Miss it now and debating on getting another one for DD

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
@ Joey. Had a 2010 Evo for like 2 months. Got a deal on my Shelby
And traded for the Evo. So all I did was barely break in Evo and still have no idea what the maintainence costs are, I barely remember what it was like to have it. So not trolling. Wouldn't waste my time. I had posted about exhausts long time ago when I had it but was a long while ago. Miss it now and debating on getting another one for DD

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
That makes sense then. I read your other thread and was like :tumbleweed:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Good info guys thanks, still debating though. I like both vehicles but have been seeing evo's around lately and still think they badass. I used to have a 2010 evo x but for like 2 months only. I got a deal on this pony and could not pass it up. Sold the evo, and now I guess you can call it buyer's remorse. I barely broke it in before I sold it or modded it. So, I didnt have the car long enough to understand the maintainence costs on this car. Just not sure about their reliability at around 350-400 whp. Not planning on tracking it or anything. Dont think I will sell the shelby as others have stated but wouldnt mind adding salt to my pepper. lol

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You said kids will likely be in your future, eluding to trying to have kids, not currently have them. Given this reasoning:

The Evo's trunk barely fits the 24" tv my fiance and I bought her mom. So a newborn/infant/toddler with all the diaper bags, stroller, accessories will likely not fit in the trunk of the Evo. I think this makes the Ford a better choice. It's easy to assume the car is a better choice for daily driving, but the fuel economy on the Evo is likely to not be much better than the truck either.

I drive 25-26 miles one-way to work, and It's about 6miles of stoplights and then 19 miles of freeway. I average about 19.2mpg.

My plan is to keep my fiance's focus or trade up to a small suv if we have kids and let her get the Mustang she's dreamed of owning.

Edit*
Just saw your post about actually having a 2010 X...so you know the points I just brought up. I'm not a Ford fan, but I've owned plenty. After owning my 1500 Ram with the 5.9L, I told myself if I ever went back to a truck it would be diesel and I would make some real power, and have the better fuel economy. But, the ecoboost is looking pretty hot. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You said kids will likely be in your future, eluding to trying to have kids, not currently have them. Given this reasoning:

The Evo's trunk barely fits the 24" tv my fiance and I bought her mom. So a newborn/infant/toddler with all the diaper bags, stroller, accessories will likely not fit in the trunk of the Evo. I think this makes the Ford a better choice. It's easy to assume the car is a better choice for daily driving, but the fuel economy on the Evo is likely to not be much better than the truck either.

I drive 25-26 miles one-way to work, and It's about 6miles of stoplights and then 19 miles of freeway. I average about 19.2mpg.

My plan is to keep my fiance's focus or trade up to a small suv if we have kids and let her get the Mustang she's dreamed of owning.

Edit*
Just saw your post about actually having a 2010 X...so you know the points I just brought up. I'm not a Ford fan, but I've owned plenty. After owning my 1500 Ram with the 5.9L, I told myself if I ever went back to a truck it would be diesel and I would make some real power, and have the better fuel economy. But, the ecoboost is looking pretty hot. Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for the response Blade. So far you guys in this community seem real cool. Thanks for that. Yea love the car but the truck is making more sense. The wifes car is paid and was thinking of getting rid of that since she wouldnt mind the truck so I can maybe perhaps work something out on getting rid of it and grabbin me that Evo x for me since she will be in truck. Thats always another option. Or third option is modding the hell out of the shelby and just grabbin truck and callin it a day. Either way im sure I will figure it out. Thanks again

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why DD a truck? Unless you are routinely pulling large loads long distances, it doesn't make much sense. I've got a reliable '94 F150 that I bought last year for $3500, and it does everything I need from a truck including pulling a trailer when needed. I took the money I didn't spend on the truck, bought a new Forester for the wife to have room for kids and cargo, while getting 29 mpg and great traction in bad weather. I had an X, but sold it to buy a Z06 for a weekend warrior car. As far as I am concerned, that's the best all-around setup you could hope for, and all of them are (will be when I get the Z06) paid for. No payments = win.

Edit: I do DD the truck myself, but it's 3 miles to/from work,and we use the car for everything else. If that weren't the case, I would add another small, reliable car that gets good gas mileage to the stable and leave the truck for when it's needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why DD a truck? Unless you are routinely pulling large loads long distances, it doesn't make much sense. I've got a reliable '94 F150 that I bought last year for $3500, and it does everything I need from a truck including pulling a trailer when needed. I took the money I didn't spend on the truck, bought a new Forester for the wife to have room for kids and cargo, while getting 29 mpg and great traction in bad weather. I had an X, but sold it to buy a Z06 for a weekend warrior car. As far as I am concerned, that's the best all-around setup you could hope for, and all of them are (will be when I get the Z06) paid for. No payments = win.

Edit: I do DD the truck myself, but it's 3 miles to/from work,and we use the car for everything else. If that weren't the case, I would add another small, reliable car that gets good gas mileage to the stable and leave the truck for when it's needed.
Good info, was thinking of getting a used truck later on and just grabbing the evo x and have fun with. Appreciate the info. I got the weekend car and now a fun DD would be the cherry on top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts